1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I don't suppose I can get anyone to tell me this is a good idea.

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Telecide, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Telecide

Telecide Active Member

So, getting towards the end of my cut, losing fat pretty consistently over the last several months. Only problem is I love my cheat days. The worst one ended up being around 9000 blissful calories of donuts, pizza, m&ms and subs. But it takes me the better part of a week to make up for the damage, and that's just to get back to where I was.

So I thought what if I tried a fat blocker on cheat days. Then, you know, it could kind of be a mulligan, right? Of course the fat blockers say not to take them if you're consuming a lot of fat. Huh? That's like an asprin bottle saying only take if you don't have a headache. Anyway, there are supposed to be some very unpleasant and potentially messy side effects in doing what I'm contemplating, but the allure of a free cheat day is pretty tempting.

2. user786

user786 Active Member

fat blockers will be better than nothing BUT even the stronger pharmaceutical ones such as orlistat (xenical ) can only block a relatively small percentage of the dietry fat consumed Ie 25-30 % the rest is still readily available to the body to use as energy and the excess store as fat!...so u cant really win !...also your right about the side effects flatulance oily stools, diarroa , basically the unabsorbed fat passes straight through you!!

3. Telecide

Telecide Active Member

hmmm... so that's say 5000 calories on a cheat day, probably about half of those from fat, 2500. And 30% of that detoured by the fat burners. That makes 750 for free. Not insignificant, but probably not worth the trouble. :(

4. ematsuda

ematsuda Well-Known Member

I guess there's more than one definition of a cheat day. For me it's eating what I want but not in such big quantities making sure I take in a bit more starchy carbs and up the cals to reset my system. For others it's just a single meal of whatever they want. For you I guess it's go crazy time.

Ease off a bit, maybe just limit your cheating to a single meal if you're gonna be out of control. It's not worth having to work all week to get back to where you were before the cheat day. When you hit your goal you can add another cheat meal in or two but until then you have to use better judgement. No fat blocker is gonna wipe out 6000 cals you shouldn't have taken in.

5. Telecide

Telecide Active Member

Lol, I suppose I get into the whole cheat day thing with a little too much zeal. It doesn't always start out that way. Last time i was just gonna get four donuts, but the guy at the shop was like "it's only 35 cents more for the dozen." And having a dozen donuts kind triggered a Mr. Hyde thing, so I got a pizza too. I guess I like having a period in which I have no restrictions and no limits. But it sucks when I finally get the courage up to calculate how many calories I actually ate. :D

The weird part is it takes a while to get my mind right again. It's not until after my next workout or run that the insanity completely passes. if such a period were to last for a week or more it could do a lot of damage!

I basically promised myself no crazy days like that until I'm well into the 170s. My diet on normal days is pretty good. Egg white omlettes, chicken breasts, etc.. It would have been the perfect crime though. :(

6. ematsuda

ematsuda Well-Known Member

I hear ya man... all I can say is "stay focused on the goal at hand". Many people go off track once in a while - get back on it and you'll do great. It's the people that can't bounce back from these things that fail. Just don't quit - that's the key. Next time save the freakin' 35 cents! :D

#6 ematsuda, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  7. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

You're basically describing why I never thought cheat days/meals made much sense. It's a combination of the idea you're denying yourself and the idea of the cheat. Both have dangers.

Instead of cheat days/meals. Spread it out. If you're going to eat four donuts on a cheat day better to have one donut a day.

8. Telecide

Telecide Active Member

yeah, that's a good point. I generally don't feel like I'm denying myself at all. I actually find myself craving things like salad with cottage cheese on it. Really, the only time I feel deprived is the day after a cheat day when I'm trying to get back in the groove.

9. user786

user786 Active Member

been there i love binging as well :o, it makes you realise that its not as simple as calories in calories out , theres been periods where i would consume utter crap for 10 days a time in the region of 10,000
    cals a day easy !tubs of ice cream 20 bars of candy pizzas donuts boxes of cereals crisps etc , my weight would rocket maybe 14lbs in the 10 days but would always go back down within a few weeks of back to healthy eating exercise. I reckon the body can only assimilate a certain amount and the rest is either not absorbed or the metabolism increase to burn it. i wouldnt advocate eating like this but if its once in a few weeks you can easily get a way with it , BUT if you are aiming for low body fat especially getting nearer to single digits you cant get away with then..

10. sauron256

sauron256 Active Member

I don't think anyone here will say it's a good idea. :lol:

Far better to have a cheat meal once a week or once a fortnight, especially as you get closer to your goal and fat loss gets harder. However, it if causes binges, it's better to cut it out completely.

11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Dude, I will totally tell it is a good idea with an appropriate bride! :D

Or if you have a diaper fetish. :eek:

If you feel the need for the cheat day, I would say aim lower. Your plan was to start with 4 donuts? That seems like it was bound to fail at that point. Since you usually have no donuts, indulging with a single donut is a "cheat."

I would say you need to think of it has a slight over indulgence day, not a go-wild cheat day. Add one or two things you have missed back in, but avoid thinking you can have anything you want in any quantity you might be able to eat it in.

Jaer
    thinks having cheat days like this sets up a bad habit for when the diet stops. Once you hit your goal weight, the rest of the week might switch to maintenance-level eating, but the habit of the cheat day could remain, and that will take you right back to where you started.

12. Shpedly

Shpedly Active Member

9000 calories! I applaud your zest for the tastier things in life. You are obviously a "go big or go home" kinda guy. I'm the same way, or at least I used to be. Not sure how old you are, but when I was in my 20's I could polish off a nice Porterhouse with all the fixins and down a gallon of whole milk and not gain an ounce. Fast forward to 49 and the results are skyrocketing blood sugar, subsequent sugar crash and at least 5 pounds on the scale. I agree with the others on the fat blockers. I know many who have used them and they say its not pretty. Think "oily stool" and you get my drift. We all love our cheat foods, but we all have to find a limit. This is what helps me. I look at my cheat food in terms of time on the treadmill. So I eat 2 cookies, thats 300 calories. Thats about 25 minutes on the treadmill. I can handle that. Now a dozen cookies is 1800 calories and 2.5 HOURS on the treadmill. Uh, screw that, I hate the treadmill/hamster wheel. When I look at it that way, those cookies are looking like rat poison rather than round little pieces of tasty goodness. Its all mind games. You can enjoy and still not set you back.

13. padrone

padrone Well-Known Member

Perhaps this is an idea: Binge all you want on your cheat day, but only on red meat, chicken and other protein-rich (and low-carb) food. You'll probably need vegetables too. It will be difficult to eat 9000 calories that way. And if you start the day with heavy lifting (squats! deadlifts!) the protein will actually do some good.

My experience is that I can easily eat enormous amounts of high-carb food (pizza, sandwiches, candy, pasta, potato chips) but protein is much harder, even if it tastes very good too.

Disclaimer: You're probably crazy if you take diet advice from me.

EDIT: Oh, and rename your cheat day "crazy binge day". It's more descriptive, and I think it's psychologically better.

#13 padrone, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  14. chrisharper80

chrisharper80 Active Member

I can personally attest that fat blockers and large quantities of fatty food are a terrible combination. I will not describe my experience here. But if you have a strong stomach and you really want to know, try a Google search for "Alli oops" or follow the link below.

WARNING! EXTREMELY DISGUSTING DESCRIPTION!!!
    http://www.weight-loss-forums.com/about7552.html

15. Telecide

Telecide Active Member

Probably good advice. I'm really irritated this week because I've been pretty good and I still can't get the scale to budge below 180. :mad:

16. Telecide

Telecide Active Member

Hehe, yeah I'm definitely all about the extremes. That can help me out when I 'm doing stuff that's good for me, but it also means any backsliding often turns into a runaway train pretty fast. I just turned 40, and I'm really glad I got in some kind of shape just in time for my elderliness. I do the same thing with the treadmill too. In fact I pretty much look at my runs not in miles, or minutes, but in big macs. One four mile run equals approximately one big mac. Normally, I like to keep my meals small enough to burn up in a single run.

17. Telecide

Telecide Active Member

I couldn't bring myself to look, but I'm pretty sure I've abandoned the fat blocker idea. :eek: