1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I don't believe it...McDonalds getting healthier?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Debujanai, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Debujanai

Debujanai Well-Known Member

2. fluke

fluke Well-Known Member

Relative is right. Smaller portions = healthier? Well sure, but that doesn't make it healthy! Any amount of coke and fries still = unhealthy.

McDonalds is pure evil and should be avoided at all costs!

3. Evil Hx Coupe

Evil Hx Coupe Well-Known Member

People will probably buy 2 meals, to make up for the supersize....

4. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Funny thing - the other day I drove by a Burger King that had a huge "Atkins Approved Meals" sign....what a load of crap!!! False marketing towards the morons of America.

5. P1Senna

P1Senna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I tried a couple of those 'Atkins Approved' meals at Burger King... They just took the burger or chicken sandwich, slapped it into a plastic tray, minus the bun, and served... Quite an innovation there :rolleyes:

6. FourMat

FourMat Well-Known Member

It's no different with the low fat craze. Cookies with the big green box and a label that says *low fat*. They are just capitalizing on a catch phrase. Doesn't mean it's healthier. Calories is calories is calories. They can all be good and they can all be bad.

Marketing: Definition - Smart people convincing stupid people to spend money.

7. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

Rubios is selling low carb tacos.

You may be asking yourself "Self, a taco is a tortilla, some meat/fish/whatever, cheese, and sour cream typically. Where are the carbs?"

To which you'd be left to conclude the carbs are in the tortilla.

That's right, it's a taco wrapped up in lettuce for 3g of net carbs!

I wanted to cry :mad:

8. fluke

fluke Well-Known Member

I remember years ago when I was on Atkins, I would ask for a hamburger without the bun, and they people there (at whatever establishment) would look at me like I was off my rocker,.. and here they are servin it up on the menu.

Christ.

BTW, a steady diet of red meat is a heart attack waiting to happen..

This was another favorite of mine,. I'd go to Taco Bell, get three Taco Supremes, scoop the insides into a bowl and throw the shells away..

9. zamboni

zamboni Well-Known Member

10. honu*girl

honu*girl Well-Known Member

It is completely dense to think that just because McDonald's offers it, it is their "fault" somehow that we have an overweight (no, obese) society. People always have choice. I personally will miss the supersize, just because I love getting a Supersize Diet Coke when we travel! It's one of my splurges. We also get the Supersize fries, and share them with the whole family (should say, we USED to do that!) Oh well, life goes on without supersize - but that's not going to stop how much people eat. The other day I say a McDonald's sign that advertised a "meal" 2 Filet of Fish, Large Fries, Large Drink. So are they offering 2 sandwiches instead of a supersize fry??? According to their nutrition facts, eating that would give you about 67 grams of fat, for one meal! Oh boy, not to mention the carbs, sugars etc.

But I can't get past the fact that it is people's choice. What's next, waiters not allowing people to order dessert because they maxed out their calorie allottment with appetizer and entree? Bartenders stop serving intoxicated people, will restaurants stop serving overweight people? I don't think so. The guy at the corner store still sells cigarettes to the woman who has the hole in her throat and carries an oxygen tank, as it's her right to buy them.

Anyway --- senseless babbling, but my $0.02 worth. :confused:

11. GM Enthusiast

GM Enthusiast Well-Known Member

This is something of a catch-22. You say they offer it because people want it, whereas a case can also be made that people want it only because it is available. Honestly I think it is a little of both. I see this every day in the automotive aftermarket - many of the latest trends that you see on customized cars these days (I'm talking about the daily drivers, not the show cars), things like windshield washer nozzle lights, spinner hub caps, neon lights - a lot of this people do simply because it is available. I spoke to someone from Autozone the other day, and they said that a lot of these items just sit on their shelves and rarely gets bought. Why is it being sold then? At some point the manufacturer saw a potential demand, put them on the market and created that demand. I don't think there were too many people that one day thought "I wish mcdonalds had a bigger order of fries". Mcdonalds probably saw a POTENTIAL demand, and made it - thereby creating that demand. From that point on, it was the customers fault for ordering it - if there is no demand these things almost always go away.

At a few of the mcdonalds around here they sell the "bucket-o-fries". For a medium sized family it is a good deal, as I belive it costs only about as much as 2 large fries (I wouldn't know, its been a year since I've eaten mcdonalds). Of course I shudder at the thought of someone getting that for themselves only. Maybe they shouldn't offer it, people might start buying it ;)

12. honu*girl

The catch-22 thought does make sense - and I will agree with that. I guess I just don't agree with the suing McD's idea.

The same thought goes with all restaurants - the place that offers a 20 oz steak, a 1 lb burger, a "dare you to eat it all" ice cream sundae, if they didn't offer it, would people request it? Dunno - if a guy was really hungry, I guess he could always order 2 of something? Were there that many people saying "There just isn't enough food??"

Anyway - good points!

OH - and I've seen the Bucket O Fries - bet you there are people who would eat it! Wouldn't want to personally!

13. taffer

taffer Well-Known Member

i really dont think this will make any difference to any obesity problem, because if people want more, they will get it 1 way or another!
    people can just as easily order a large pizza, or a whole bucket of kfc chicken, mcdonalds only symbolises the problem, however its not the root of the problem.

also a question for the american's, do these "low carb" or "atkins approved" meals cost more than the originals? even though you get less?

while im glad we dont have the "low-carb" craze here in australia, but some of the products are good, like the no carb syrup, i cant make stones oatmeal!! also no egg beaters here :(

14. Malikai

Malikai Well-Known Member

At least McD's here are selling prepacked salads and stuff now. Sames as the ones you get from the supermarket only twice the price.

15. citrixmeta

citrixmeta Well-Known Member

16. Malikai

Malikai Well-Known Member

ya but who eat's only 1 cheese burger? I know I used to eat 3 or 4 at a time :whistle:

17. honu*girl

OK - one more....

Today, McD's Marquee read

50 Nuggets $7.99

My daughter was like, (she's 10) "WHAT???" You mean they are taking away supersizing, but then they serve that!!??

Can you tell she's been listening around our house - hopefully the next generation will start things off right rather than have to work their butt off when they hit 30 to START getting in shape! :claplow: