1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I can't gain weight

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by woodan, Aug 5, 2007.

1. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

So I finished week on of the Starting Strength program and after reading droopy's journal I had high hopes seeing he put on 5.5lbs after his first week (including rest week). However, this week I have gained a total of ZERO pounds.

This is quite disappointing... Especialliy as I was working out really hard, and eating like there were no tomorrow. I have been consuming about 4000cals a day. I figured at least I may have put on some fat. But no, nothing.

Do I serously have to eat more? If I do I'm going to have to get sloppy as I seriously can't afford to eat this much good, clean food.

Maybe I'm just being impatient. I really don't know. Someone please help.

Thanks
    Dan

2. CuTe PoIsOn

CuTe PoIsOn Active Member

Hi man i have had the same problem in the past few months of my training, However it was only last week that I weighed myself i was 164 Lbs and 2 days after that back in the gym,i weighed again and I was 167 lbs, I have been taking a weight gainer for about 2 weeks now and eating as much as i can on top of that. Its also really expensive to pack on clean and good calories. Although it does take time.

3. chris0374

chris0374 Active Member

Yes, you must eat more if you are not gaining. 4000 calories is a lot of food and if you can't stomach them all, here are some tips.

- drink your calories (make your own protein shakes)
    - eat more fat
    - some may be against this but eat some junk food to get easy calories in. As long as majority of your calories come from good clean foods, your health won't be compromised.
    - some may be against this also, but reduce veggies and fruits. don't eliminate them all cuz they're good for you. but they can be really filling and may go against your goal of eating more calories.

4. Shane Reid

Shane Reid Well-Known Member

Pop back a couple of beers everyday? haha.

But I get what you mean. The BMR should really only be used as a guide. Every person is different. I'm skinny as hell but i know through trial and error that I require a lot of extra calories then another person of the same weight. Due to my habits of always moving and fitgiting. Plus I have health problems (excema) and I've come to the conclusion that It has an affect on my weight gain.

PS: When did you weigh yoruself at first and when did you weigh yourself last? As in, did you have a full stomach or was it at the end of the day, then after was it at the beginning or on not as full of a stomach? Remember everyone's weight varies from hour to hour.

5. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Well one week is not a really good indicator. I would say wait 3 weeks to see if you see some progress. Some would tell you 4 weeks and others 2, but one week is not enough to give you info. If you check each week your body will play mind games with you. Your weight may go up or may go down, same with bodyfat. Cheat meals close to weigh ins can affect your weight.

You may weigh the same but you could have traded 2 pounds of fat for 2 pounds of muscle. Keep at it for bit and then decide what to do.

6. chang

chang Well-Known Member

I agree that 1 week is not enough time. Come back to us in a couple weeks and if problems persist then post your daily diet so we can offer suggestions.

7. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I did think it might be a little soon but then I kept reading journals where people were putting on weight almost straight away.

I do hope I don't have to consume anymore as it's getting out of hand at this level. I always prided myself on being able to eat whatever was put in front of me but I think I've found my limits.

I always weigh myself first thing in the morning after I've done my business.

If this is the case I'll be very happy.

Ok, so I won't worry about it for now. I'll just keep lifting and eating and report in in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

8. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Don't check your wait everyday. It will mess with you. And don't compare your results to someone else's every body is different and reacts differently to programs and diet. Good luck.

9. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Given my size that should be enough to eat then? I mean, if I'm still not gaining next week should I try and up it or should I really be waiting 3 or 4 weeks?

10. chang

chang Well-Known Member

Don't just use weight gain as an indication of progress, use the mirror and strength increases to gauge progress.

11. Hockey4

Hockey4 Active Member

I would wait an entire month before going back on the scale. Looking at it every day expecting to see a pound or two will drive you crazy. Instead, continue to eat and workout without thinking about weight. Then jump on, and you might be pleasantly surprised. You should be able to put on weight with 4,000 calories, even if your metabolism is insane. Do you do a lot of cardio or have a physical job? If you do, then perhaps you would need more than 4,000. But if you have an office job and mostly lift weights, I would think 4,000 would be plenty.

And I know your pain when it comes to eating enough clean calories.
    A trip to McDonalds and a bag of chips is worth about 10 heads of broccoli, a pound of brown rice, and 5 chicken breasts in volume (I made that stat up, but you get the point.) The volume is incredible. But like was mentioned above, look at healthy fats. They're the best way to add calories without filling your stomach to the point of explosion.

12. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the good advice. I'll go and put the scales away then.

My job is a sendentary as it comes but I am doing a fair amount of cardio. Still, I thought 4000 ought to be enough to do the job. I'll wait and see.

13. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Everyone is different, but I'm a hard-gainer ecto and I find that I can't do cardio and gain weight at the same time. You could try cutting way back on your cardio but keeping up your calories. Also, are you having a nice sized meal or shake before bed? That helped me go from 153# to 190# on my first bulk.