1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I bench 260lbs, how about you?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by RobP, Aug 31, 2006.

1. RobP

RobP Active Member

/rant on

I can't bench jack by the looks of it. I must be working backwards.. infact, I'm convinced. You see, for the past 5 months I've been working hard at watching my diet, and doing lots of cardio, and learning to lift weights and combining that with diet (learned about dextrose) to get a bit stronger while continuing to loose weight. I'm very happy with my progress.

43lbs. lighter/later and people seem to notice, so they start telling me about their workouts and what not. This is where it gets aggrivating.

Seems that everyone I run into can bench 200-250lbs NO PROBLEM!! I tell them I use lowly free weights and they tell me "Yeah, I sometimes use the dumbells, 120lbs. in each hand!" Is this possible, I can't imagine getting into the Bench Press position with 120lbs. in each hand. How much seated row you ask? Pfft.. they don't talk about weight.. they just say how many plates.. "I start off with 2 plates, then throw on 2 more.. then 2 more." This guy has been working out for 12-18 months. He looks big.. but he's definately far from 10% bf reading. Oh.. and he doesn't like working the 'legs'. WTF? I'm sure his first squat would be in the 400lbs. range.

Are there alot of people out there like this? Is it safe to say this guy is full of it? Just like my neighbor bragging about how many pushups he can do, and then actually doing them on his driveway to prove a point. My brother finally asked him into our basement to proove his claim of 10reps of 200+lbs. BP's of which he fell really short of.

Are there photo's of people anywhere that shows basically what someone who can lift XX number of weight looks like? Like, I can't imagine a guy with 14" biceps curling 100lbs. per arm, right?

Regardless, I will persevere. I will get through this huge ass cut. I will bulk. And I WILL get up to the numbers these people brag about like it's a snap of the fingers. I want to see exactly what someone looks like that can bench 260lbs.

/rant off

2. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yes, he's probably full of it and there are a lot of people like him out there.

No.

Right.

:tucool: You have motivation -- now go out there and succeed.

#2 chicanerous, Aug 31, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  3. crupiea

crupiea Well-Known Member

Great post Rob. You know, whenever people find out you lift, they will tell you they used to lift until they hurt their back or some such nonsense. They don't want to appear unmanly and are deep down trying to associate themselves with your healthy lifestyle. It's really quite sad.

Ask them how much they can deadlift and they will always give you some dumb answer or make up some outlandish number. Oh, and they were always built like Arnold and worked out for at least 4 hours per day until the hurt their back and the doctor ordered them to stop lifting. That's when the muscle all turned to fat.

Don't let it get to you. It's just their pathetic attempt to lessen the obvious manhood gap between you and them.

Keep up your hard work, you are doing great at your cut. It's what 95% of the population can't or won't do.

4. RobP

RobP Active Member

Oh, and the first guy I mentioned told me his diet changes consist of him cutting his McD's back to once a week, and only a few Coke's a week. Other than that, he eats whatever Momma makes (and I know his mom and her cooking, it's NOT healthy.) My wife and I hear this alot and usually just look at each other and roll our eyes.

5. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Be proud of yourself for doing instead of just talking.

When I compare my lifts to others', I feel pretty weak. But when I think of the progress I've made and the improvements I've seen, I know my efforts have been worthwhile. I am a better, stronger, healthier person than I was weeks and months ago.

You are the measure of your success. It's not about a number on a weight plate. It's not about comparing yourself to your neighbor or the other guys in the gym or anybody else. It's about comparing yourself to the person you were yesterday or a year ago and being happy with your own achievements.

6. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

OK that is just about exactly my 1RM, and I look like this:

[​IMG]

My upper arm measures just under 15".

So no, you don't have to look like much in order to bench 260#.

7. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Not unless he's under four feet tall.

8. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

Bench 500 and you may end up looking like this guy..notice how he's not bloated like the current stars of today?

Ok, call me old skool:tu:

Attached Files:

9. sleeper

sleeper Well-Known Member

As always, personal stats are relative. As i'm sure you're aware, strength and muscles size don't always correlate exactly. You'd think that most olympic strenght athletes would look like ronnie coleman or some other one of these BB monsters. But, they don't. Too many factors play into strength peformance.

To answer the question directly. You definately don't have to be huge to bench 120lb X 2. I've seen many 'smallish' guys who are just a bit bigger than me bench 100+ x 2. And, yeah considering its a 1-rep-max, it could easily be more than that. I don't know my exact 1-rep-max for db bench but i normally do 6 reps of 65 x 2 which puts my max @ about 75 or 80 x 2.

Getting the weights onto your knees first is probably the first major hurdle but then you can just have a training partner help you out if you just want to see what you can do for 1rm.

Still, i think its really lame when people talk like this jackass you're describing. And, I wouldn't be at all shocked if he's embellishing more than a little as its just too common within the psychology of the male ego.

Whatever you do, stop comparing yourself to others as it'll just make you not appreciate where you're currently at.

Steve

10. hindiakopilipino

hindiakopilipino Active Member

I disagree with not comparing with others. For me, competition has driven me to workout harder; one of my friends has been lifting on and off for a couple years and he always would brag to me about how much he was benching... after only about a month of lifting I'm almost benching the same as him (he reps 195 5x, I'm doing 185 5x) and he's already showing signs of fear :). See your enemy, destroy your enemy.

11. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Sure, I'm sure his biceps are bigger than 14" but Brian Schwab is not "huge" either:

http://www.orlandobarbell.com/contact.html

I've seen this guy in the gym before, and I would consider him strong even if he weighed 100 pounds more than he does. It's insane!

How old are you? What does your training routine look like? How much and what type of cardio are you doing? What does your diet look like?

12. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

OK my brother competed in that (148#) class. Now Brian there lifts quite a bit beyond my brother - by at least 100 pounds in the deadlift, about 300 pounds in the squat, and about 230 pounds in the bench. Holy crap. That's just ill.

I'm going out on a limb here, but my brother had big arms - about 16" which looks really big on a guy who is 5' 4" like my brother. I'm thinking Brian has to have even bigger arms. The picture doesn't make his arms look that big, but in this picture

[​IMG]

he's more flexed. Damn if he doesn't look like his arms are smaller than my brothers though. That can't really be true.

13. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Are you mixing pounds and kilograms here? I think we would all agree that nobody needs to be huge to bench 120lb x 2.

14. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

He's talking about pairs of dumbbells (120s, 100s, etc.).

15. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Great picture Zen! Thanks!

16. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Hey RobP, I laughed at your rant:)

Yes, egos and competition can be interesting sometimes. My numbers are small and pathetic on individual lifts, but people who actually know what's what respect and appreciate the effort I'm putting in and the progress I'm making.

One story, though. Me and my Dad are good at armwrestling. It's a combination of natural ability and tactics. So I had a friend who's 6'9", a shade taller than me, and at the time he was 50lbs heavier, and loved to talk about how much lifting he used to do, and how strong he used to be. So one night at the coffee shop we decided to armwrestle. So I beat him, and the he wanted to try left-handed, and I beat him, and then he wanted to try right-handed again, but I was supposed to only hold my wrist and hand a certain way he wanted it, and I beat him again. He just couldn't get over that.

A few months later some friends were having a smoker(amateur boxing night) and wanted us to fight each other, but he wouldn't do it:)

17. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Well-Known Member

Rob, I know exactly what you mean, I have mates who are bigger and look musclier, they go on about what they think they can do and what they've done before but not one of them goes to the gym.

One thing that boosted my confidence other day was at a mates housewarming we found is weights machine. It was set up for arm curl (elbows bent and curl to chest, can't remember what thats called), some put the weight on pretty high, 4 people had a go, couldn't even do 1 rep, biting the bullet I sat down, 2 and a half reps later I gave up. Very proud moment I'll say, glad to see my gym efforts are working.

Never let peoples so called advice from when they used to go gym or a mate at the gym does this effect you, you're on this site and you'll get proper advice, you know whats working for you, most people feel inadequate as they probably want to go to the gym but have no motivation!

18. vatechguy

vatechguy Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I can bench 260 and I don't look like I lift at all. Last summer when we were focusing on chest/Tri pretty heavily we were doing dumbell bench with the 100s, 110s, and 120s. (I was so proud of myself my wife actually bought me a pair of 100lb dumbells.)

Like everyone else here said - what does it matter how much you can lift if you are in fact progressing. Three years ago if someone had pointed at 100lb dumbells and told me to lift them I would have laughed in their faces. Today I'm looking for a gym with heavier weights.

:tu: Don't sweat the small stuff. And when the subject comes up - don't be shy to say "I bench 150!" Especially if 6 months ago you were benching 110 - then thats a hell of an improvement and you should be proud of it.

19. Blob

Blob Well-Known Member

Although I am always amazed and inspired by Mastovers workouts :bow: , personally, I could care less about comparing myself to others. I am leaner and stronger and healthier overall than I was before, and thats all that matters to me.

20. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

It isn't how much you lift, as it is, how you lift it.

The only person I am competing against in a weight room is myself.

When you become a man, you put away childish things.