1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I Am Jack's Eager Optimism

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by kglover, Apr 3, 2016.

1. kglover

kglover Well-Known Member

And just like that...today was a brand new day! I woke up this morning and all the pain was gone. Like it had never been there. This is how it goes sometimes. As bad as yesterday was, it does not trump (that is a euchre reference) the feeling of being strong and in shape. I will keep pushing my limits, and just keep on living.

"You just gotta keep livin' man" David Wooderson

Today was Sufferfest: Elements of Style.
    • 7.8mi
      Distance
    • 38:39
      Elapsed Time
    • 108W
      Weighted Avg Power
    • 231kJ
      Total Work
    Avg Max
    Speed
    12.2mi/h 17.9mi/h
    Heart Rate 135bpm 166bpm
    Cadence 69 109
    Power 100W 193W
    Calories 258
    Elapsed Time 38:39

I still can't hit those high cadences! 90 - 115 rpm is a serious effort for me. But according to Training Peaks, I hit a new HR threshold! I went from 141 bpm to 142 bpm! Crazy how you can jacked over 1 bpm. Consistency is everything!

John's upcoming bulk has really sparked my interest in putting back on some show size. The best I ever felt was when I was lifting on a four day split, and rode or ran three days per week. I was 183 at around 10 % bf. I would love to look like that again and still ride the group rides without getting dropped.

I have been checking out the other fitness journals and I am really loving getting more involved with this awesome site and the JSF community.

KG

volleyball, IROC-Z and John Stone like this.
  2. kglover

Day off today. Looking at some possible work changes...again. Back at it tomorrow.

3. kglover

It has been a week since I have posted on my fitness journal or done any of my scheduled workouts. I have been dealing with some career stress and decisions that will impact the rest of my working life. I have total respect for everyone that stays on track during adversity.

I cooked and planned meals for this week on Sunday, so my diet has not been terrible, but still not enough calories. There are still four days left this week and I plan to do two rides and two weight/kettlebell sessions.

I absolutely hate getting off track and jumping around, but Sunday starts a new month, and I am going to reevaluate a few things in my plan and career.

KG

John Stone likes this.
  4. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

Adversity sucks, but when handled like this, it builds strength and confidence. Kudos! :tu:

kglover likes this.
  5. kglover

I got back on track today. I was feeling a little drained when I left work today, but managed to get focused on the way home. I did the Sufferfest: Elements of Style again. I have only done a few of the Sufferfest videos. I know this is a "drills" video and one of the easier videos they make, but damn! I was actually drooling and spitting when my HR got above 165 bpm! According to Training Peaks, I hit a new HR Threshold of 147 bpm! I know this improvement will start to level out at some point, but I am really enjoying the progress! I feel great after these rides!

• 7.7mi
      Distance
    • 38:39
      Elapsed Time
    • 106W
      Weighted Avg Power
    • 226kJ
      Total Work
    Avg Max
    Speed
    12.1mi/h 19.2mi/h
    Heart Rate 141bpm 171bpm
    Cadence 70 120
    Power 98W 243W
    Calories 252
    Elapsed Time 38:39

Today was a good day!

KG

John Stone likes this.
  6. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Nice, dude. Keep it up! I love the feeling after a hard ride, even if I want to die.

kglover likes this.
  7. kglover

It is awesome! I am thinking about doing my kettlebell workout tomorrow, doing an easy spin outside Saturday in the rain (just bought a Showers Pass Elite 2.0), then doing a Rubber Glove on Sunday to see where my FTP is.

8. kglover

Nothing much to report today. Got off work late, had to mow and do yard work before the rain sets in. I would like to get in a light spin and a kettlebell workout tomorrow. Not sure if I should do both if I am going to do an FTP test on Sunday.

KG

9. kglover

I took the day off again yesterday in anticipation of doing the Sufferfest: Rubber Glove 20 minute fitness test. Well, by 1:00 pm it was sunny, 70 F, and calm winds. I pulled my bike off the trainer and headed out for an outside ride. I love the work I get done on the trainer, but there is really nothing like riding outside. I am going to stay with my plan to ride two days of Sufferfest and one outside ride of increasing distance for now. My Garmin 500 and Power Tap were both acting strange today.
    • 11.9mi
      Distance
    • 57:23
      Moving Time
    • 180ft
      Elevation (?)
    • 88W
      Weighted Avg Power
    • 275kJ
      Total Work
    Avg Max
    Speed
    12.5mi/h 22.8mi/h
    Heart Rate 108bpm 119bpm
    Cadence 76 102
    Power 80W 473W
    Calories 307
    Temperature 82℉
    Elapsed Time 58:17

My YMCA membership won't expire for another month. I may try to find some time to get in there to see if it will work, but I seriously hate that environment! I miss my old Leo's Black Iron Gym!

KG

10. kglover

I haven't posted for a couple of weeks. I made the mistake of letting stress take over and haven;t really done anything but yardwork for the last few weeks.

So today the stress was even worse, but I cranked up some Judas Priest when I got home and:

Warm up: Goblet Squat x 10, Hip Bridge x 10, Halo x 10
    Kettle bell Swing: 5 x 10
    Turkish Get Up: 2 x 1, each arm
    Incline Push ups: 5 x 10

Relieved some stress. I will never let stress get in the way of my workouts again! I am loving the Kettle Bell workouts, and Turkish Get Ups are no joke! Damn that is hard as hell!

Side Note: Diet is going to be jacked up this week. Friday is Carb Day, Saturday is the Annual Night Before the Race Party, and Sunday is the 100th running of The Indianapolis 500!

KG

11. kglover

Trainer Ride/Sufferfest/Elements of Style

• 8.1mi
      Distance
    • 39:00
      Elapsed Time
    • 93W
      Weighted Avg Power
    • 196kJ
      Total Work
    Avg Max
    Speed
    12.6mi/h 17.9mi/h
    Heart Rate 134bpm 161bpm
    Cadence 71 112
    Power 84W 243W
    Calories 218
    Temperature 79℉
    Elapsed Time 39:00

Strava and TrainerRoad did not connect/save like usual, or at all. PowerTap hub and TrainerRoad were not in sync at all. Oh well, I had a really good workout. Didn't lose as much fitness as I had expected. Felt good to hurt a little!

KG

12. kglover

Off Day. Trying a new Sufferfest video tomorrow. Very sore from the last two days!

KG

13. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Did you see Todd? Did he play the "hits"? I've seen him a few times and depending on how he feels, he sometimes refuses to do anything but new material. But man... Hello It's Me is in my top five all time recordings... both from a songwriting standpoint as well as sonically. The fact he played and recorded all the parts himself and then mixed the damn thing is unreal. I heard it the other day on a mono radio and it still sounded better than most current recordings, even with all the technology we have now.

14. kglover

I could not make it to see Todd! I was very disappointed. I read about him recording all of the parts and then mixing them. What a great talent! I did see Sturgill Simpson last Saturday though. I sounds a lot like Waylon Jennings! I don't know if you like old country, but this guy kills it and brings his own style, a little psychedelic and the new album had a big horn section. Great show!

15. kglover

Last night I ordered Power Station from Sufferfest. I absolutely love riding/working out right after work. I have a little time, maybe 20-30 min. commute to get focused. I walk in the door, change clothes, get busy! And thanks to Sufferfest, I actually like riding my trainer better than riding outside, at least for now.

• 11.2mi
      Distance
    • 50:49
      Elapsed Time
    • 123W
      Weighted Avg Power
    • 347kJ
      Total Work
    Avg Max
    Speed
    13.2mi/h 22.1mi/h
    Heart Rate 133bpm 159bpm