1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I Am Jack's Eager Optimism

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by kglover, Apr 3, 2016.

1. kglover

kglover Well-Known Member

Hey fellow JSFer’s,

First of all, I am digging the new forums! What a nice upgrade to the forums and mobile site! John’s work ethic has paid off as usual.

I decided to start a fitness journal here to help keep me be accountable. I will be 47 on June 27th. That is exactly 12 weeks from tomorrow. My goal is to be much stronger, leaner, and faster on my bike. This morning I weighed in at 166.8 lbs. and 19.9% body fat on my Omron bioelectric impedance unit, and 16.7% on my Fat Track Pro. I am guessing I am somewhere in between these measurements.

In the past I have typically lifted on a split routine and had great success. I am taking a different approach this time. I plan on lifting two days per week and one day of kettlebell work with some bodyweight training mixed in.

My cardio will be on my Trek 5200. I will be doing two Sufferfest videos per week and riding outside at least one day per week, maybe two. I will also be adding in yoga on the mornings I ride. Yoga will be totally new for me! So my Schedule will look like this:

M: Off

T: AM: Yoga PM: Sufferfest

W: PM: Squats, Military, Bent Rows or Pull ups (when I can do them :))

R: AM: Yoga PM: Sufferfest

F: PM: Circuit 1: KB Press, KB Goblet Squat, KB One Arm Rows

Circuit 2: KB Swings, Pushups

S: AM: Yoga PM: Bike (outside)

Sn: PM: Deadlifts, Flat Bench, Bent Rows or Pullups (Bike if I feel like it.)

Workouts will be very simple. I will warm up about ten minutes on the bike, three sets of ten on each exercise. If I get all sets, I bump up five pounds.

I am planning on starting at 1800 calories per day with a 40/40/20 macro breakdown. I usually don’t eat anything before noon. That may change with the increased activity. I will also be doing the following:

• One gallon of water per day
    • No alcohol
    • Stats on Sunday morning. Stay off the scale
    • Daily posts to this thread
    • One cheat meal per week
    • Meal prep on Sunday
    • Eight hours of sleep every night

So that is it. I really don't know how this will turn out. Its an experiment, a project. I am sure there will be adjustments along the way and I look forward to any and all comments or suggestions!

KG

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Hey Kelly, thanks for the feedback on the forums, glad you are digging them! Let me know if you have any questions.

I don't know how you can go until noon without eating! I'm sometimes on my third meal by then. :eat:

kglover likes this.
  3. kglover

Today was a scheduled off day, which was good because I needed to take care of a few things after work. On my way home a friend calls and wants to meet a BWW for wings and beer. It is the first day! Come on man! I stood strong and went home. :claphigh:

My water intake was no where near a gallon, and my calorie goal of 1800 is going to be about 500 short. Maybe I need to add that meal before noon! Anyway, I will make the necessary adjustments and move on! Tomorrow the real training begins!

KG

John Stone likes this.
  4. kglover

I was supposed to do a yoga workout this morning but overslept. My plan was to do it after my Sufferfest workout. Yeah right! I did one of the easier videos, Elements of Style, and I had to back off after the fourth interval. I know this is just because I am basically in an untrained state right now, but damn, that is demoralizing! I just have to stay with it and keep pushing the limit. I decided I am not going to try to make up the yoga workout. I will just stay on schedule to do the next one Thursday morning. On a side note, my Garmin quit reading my power meter about 5 minutes into the ride. Trainer Road carried it through the whole workout, so at least it uploaded to Strava!

My water improved today, but still no where near a gallon. My calories will be closer today also. I am recording on myfitnesspal, and will probably add a small snack before I shut it down for the night. I realized I would have to make adjustments on this plan, so I will continue to make small changes until I get this dialed in!

KG

5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Welcome.

I often don't eat till noon as well. I go through stages wheremi will have a post workout shake. That normally lasts for a few weeks before I slip back into my not eating in the mornings. When I am having the shake I find that I snack less at night watching TV. My calorie intake is probably the same either way.

Good luck.

6. kglover

Thanks! For some reason I feel sluggish when I eat in the morning. Maybe this will all change as my riding and lifting become more consistent.

KG

7. kglover

Well, there may be a change in the original plan. I forgot how much I detest commercial gyms! I had just joined the YMCA a month or so ago. I have used it on the weekends at odd times and liked it ok. I went in tonight at 8:00 pm and it looked like there was a party! I waited 15 minutes for one of three squat racks to open. Not even close. I walked out. I am done with commercial gyms. Period. I am taking a half day at work tomorrow, so I will go in and cancel after I pick up my new Galaxy S7. :)

That means I will probably be using kettlbells and bodyweight workouts until I can figure out what I am going to do.

So...today was another off day. Food intake and water were about the same as yesterday.

KG

8. kglover

I got back on track with my workouts today. I did a 23 minute yoga session and it was harder than I thought. It wasn't tough like a hard weight training session, but I was fatigued and felt strangely good after. I think I am going to like this new addition.

Bike was a 30 minute Trainer Road Interval that I made through the workout creator.

Diet was a total train wreck! I didn't prepare enough food on Sunday, so I ended up eating out. I will be more organized when I plan my meals this Sunday, and buy more healthy snacks. I also found a recipe for steel cut oatmeal that you put into pint size mason jars for each day of the week. I am going to give breakfast a try next week.

KG

John Stone likes this.
  9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Please do. I'm still SMH over that one.

kglover likes this.
  10. kglover

I did my kettlebell workout as soon as I walked in the door from work tonight.
    Circuit 1: 3 x 10 One Arm KB Press, Goblet Squat, One Arm KB Row
    Circuit 2: 3 x 10 KB Swings, Pushups

This was a great workout! Heart rate was up and I felt challenged on every exercise. This just reaffirms my thoughts from Wednesday night. I started getting mentally prepared to workout. I walked in my house, changed clothes and got after it! No driving. no waiting, no talking, and it's done! Oh, and no paying!!! I have no doubt I can accomplish a lot with my kettlebells, bodyweight exercises, yoga, and riding. I started researching a simple home gym setup this week.

My chest and back felt pretty good, but the surgeries have taken their toll. Not sure if I will ever get back to where I was, but I won't stop trying!

KG

John Stone likes this.
  11. kglover

I thought today might be a total loss. I had a lot of chores around the house and I needed to work on my Linkedin page and resume. Things are slow at work and it might be time to make a move. I finally just said BS! I need to at least get 30 minutes on my trainer! The initial plan was to ride outside today, but when I got up this morning it was 29 F! It warmed up later, but I was too lazy to take my bike off the trainer. Anyway I got in 30 minutes:
    Avg Max
    Speed
    11.6mi/h 18.3mi/h
    Heart Rate 134bpm 164bpm
    Cadence 75 112
    Power 78W 231W
    Calories 156
    Temperature 72℉
    Elapsed Time 30:03

Diet was pretty much "free style" and I am settling in on about 1/2 gallon of water per day. I am going to spend some time tonight properly planning a weekly menu.

KG

John Stone likes this.
  12. kglover

Well_that_escalated_quickly.jpg
    Amazing how quick things can spiral out of control if you let them! I had an extremely busy Sunday and stressful Monday. I didn't workout or post either day. The crazy thing is that I didn't do anything because I was stressed. I came home today and rode as soon as I walked in the door. That 38 minutes on my bike was 100% stress relief! All I had to think about was the ride and hitting my target numbers! Totally cleared my head!

So I did Sufferfest's "Elements of Style". It is considered one of their "easier" workouts, but it kick's my ass!

Avg Max
    Speed
    11.9mi/h 18.1mi/h
    Heart Rate 133bpm 167bpm
    Cadence 73 116
    Power 96W 206W
    Calories 248
    Elapsed Time 38:39

I felt stronger this week than I did on the same workout last week. That small increment of improvement provides a HUGE boost in motivation! IWBMATTKYT (haha)

KG

13. kglover

Tonight was a kettlebell workout.
    Circuit 2: 3 x 10 KB Swings, Pushups

I am sticking with this KB circuit. Next week I will bump the reps to 12, but damn, this is harder than it looks.

My diet hasn't been terrible, but definitely not strict, or how I planned it. This will be the real challenge for me. After my last round of surgeries (two thoracotomies in five days), I lost my appetite. I slowly built it back up, but something changed with me. I am going to have to make small changes in my diet and medication to get this figured out.

A couple of small but significant things happened today. I have a free Trainingpeaks account. I received an email this morning that my HR Threshhold went from 139 bpm to 141 bpm. Small improvements!

I also made a small breakthrough in my tig welding skills. This is a small breakthrough to a HUGE goal!

Sufferfest tomorrow! Revolver or The Long Scream?

KG

John Stone likes this.
  14. kglover

Workout tonight ended up being yard work and John Deere repair. Sufferfest postponed until tomorrow.

KG

15. kglover

Last three days have been mower/house/yard maintenance. It sucks, but that is just the way it goes sometimes :(. I was out in the yard for about 7 hours today...I am wiped out! I hope to get in a KB workout tomorrow and maybe a ride outside. My son moved to downtown Indy this weekend, so I am going to go check out the new pad :cool:. There are so many great "Tap Houses" and restaurants. It will most likely be a splurge meal and a few Oatis Redding at Tow Yard Brewing! So happy for him! Love that kid!

16. kglover

Did my kettle bell circuit as soon as I got home.
    Circuit 2: 3 x 10 KB Swings, Push ups

I put on my Garmin HR monitor to see where I was at on my work sets. I was around 142 - 148 bpm. Activity Profile | Kettle Bell Workout near | Times and Records | Strava.

Love how I felt after the workout. I have mild pain in my chest now. I will probably deal with this for the rest of my life. It is not debilitating, just annoying. Better than the alternative.

My goal for the week is to get in 3 kettle bell workouts and 3 rides. Diet is going to be a challenge. I am just not hungry when I need to be. It will come together.

Side note: Todd Rundgren will be in Indy May 13.

KG

17. kglover

Well, what I was afraid was going to happen...happened. I woke up at 3:00 am in serious pain. It starts from one side of my chest and continues all the way to the other side. It is a combination of a constant throbbing pain in my sternum and intermittent sharp knife-like pains in my nerves. It has lasted all day and is still with me. I took today off because I just don't feel like pushing myself with this chest pain. Hopefully it will diminish by tomorrow. Going to bed. Ugh.

KG

18. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Um, dude... wtf is this?

19. kglover

John, this kind of thing happens to me at random times. It stems from the first surgery I had back in 2008. I had a clam shell thoracotomy (Google that and click on images :eek:) They basically cut me and bone sawed me in half to remove a 10 cm x 17 cm carcinoid tumor that was pushing against my pulmonary artery. Sometimes the pain occurs after I workout, sometimes just out of nowhere. I made it through the day at work, but it is very uncomfortable and pisses me off! I was drained when I got home.

It is just a remnant of the surgeries I have had. I have learned to deal with it and am not going to let it stop me from riding/lifting. I am just greatful to be above ground! :)

20. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I hate you.

I knew about the cancer, but I had no idea about all the details and lingering complications.

I will never again complain about the groin pain I sometimes feel from my 2004 hernia surgery. Seriously.

kglover likes this.