1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I am getting some muscle twitching in my right quadricep

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by dell27, Mar 5, 2007.

1. dell27

dell27 Active Member

I am on week three of Bill Starrs 5X5 intermediate weight lifting program. This week, my quadricep has developed a twitch. Its weird, I can feel my heartbeat in my quadricep, it comes and goes, at least 10 times a day. What could this be and should I take a break from doing squats? I squat three days per week on the program for those who arent familiar with it. Thanks in advance.

2. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

In January, people thought you might be over doing thing and you had trembles in arm, now you have twiches in leg. What sort of weights are you using for squats 5X5? Doing intense workouts require you have sufficeint rest and recovery. On the surface, you might be overtraining. Do you think you might be? Why not take a week off?

3. dell27

dell27 Active Member

Yeah, I went from working out 5-6 days a week down to 3 times a week. I am trying a clean bulk for the next 2 months and then cut for summer. I decided to go ahead with the Bill Starr 5x5 program to get a bit bigger and increase my strength. So far so good its working! I am not lifting that much weight on my squats. I started week 3 today. 5 sets, 5 reps. Weight includes the olympic bar. I do cardio twice a week for about 45 minutes. (roller hockey)

Week1

Mon

Wed

Friday

Week2

Mon

Wed

Fri

Week 3

Mon (today)

4. STorpedo

STorpedo Active Member

My shoulder tends to do that when I'm following a strict routine, never heard of a quadriceps though. I do have to say when your muscle flexes on its own it means a good amount of strain has been put on it and, if anything, it means that you're having good workouts, and use the muscle a lot. 10 times a day might be too much, but I like when my shoulder twiches, its kind of nice. Anyways, a few of my friends have same muscle-twicthing thing going, so as far as I know it hasn't killed anybody, and you shouldn't be worried.

5. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Pounds or kg?

What do you weigh? How tall are you?

6. Josh601

Josh601 Active Member

I've had twitching in a few different muscles also when I overuse them... Generally it's not workout related tho. I agree it's kinda nice, it's not a bad feeling. Anyways as everyones been mentioning your probably putting more strain on it than you should, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just let up a little.

7. Cityman

Cityman Active Member

Make sure you're taking in enough water.

8. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

My calves do something like this constantly. If I'm sitting with them relaxed it looks like I have maggots writhing under my skin, as the muscle sits there twitching in different patterns. I'm not sure if that's common, but I think it's normal for me.