1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

i am 16 should i be doing MAX-OT?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by eax5, Nov 5, 2004.

1. eax5

eax5 Well-Known Member

i am 16 should i be doing MAX-OT?

2. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Only after you've gone through an acclimation period to ready your body for Max-OT, and preferably after you have a solid understanding of how your muscles function in form, growth, and recovery as well as the mechanics of movement.

Even then, there's no right program to be on and no one that works well forever, despite what their creators might have you think.

3. eax5

eax5 Well-Known Member

well i was going to the gym for a year now and understand how my body works. i didnt do anything really heavy, moderate

4. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

What was your average week like in terms of exercises, sets, and reps? Knowing this will be of a big help to any of us in offering advice on a good way to make the transition.

If you don't know an exercise's name, but know what muscle is its main focus, that works as well. ExRx.net is a great resource for information on how an exercise functions. (Visit "Weight Training", "Exercise & Muscle Directory", and then use the right column to browse a muscle group.)

#4 chicanerous, Nov 5, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  5. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I was thinking about this yesterday actually. A Maxot style workout would have been perfect for me in high school when I had a weightlifting class. Think about it. Classes were only I think 55 minutes. You need time to change clothes and that leaves you with about 45 minutes to work out. It would have worked out really well, nowadays my workouts are pretty similar to MAXOT (though actually even less volume), and never run over 35 minutes.

If you have a good amount of training and knowledge under your belt just give it a try for 1 "cycle" (10-12 weeks). I agree with chicanerous, there is no perfect program. But Maxot is a decent program IMO. Try it. Let us know how things are going in a few weeks. :gl:

6. eax5

eax5 Well-Known Member

My weeks is as following

Monday

Chest

norma, incline, and decline

4 sets each going up to 35 on each side + the weight of the bar 45, able to do 12 reps with ou t a problem.

Bicepts

Biceps curl with barbell 4 sets with a weight total weigt of 50.
    in a dition to that some pull ups

next day i would rest and of Wendsday i would do back and tricepts

7. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

8. eax5

eax5 Well-Known Member

i run everyborning and on the track team in school

9. DeafNgari

DeafNgari Well-Known Member

....same excuse I use to use.... work dem legs with weight. It can help your running trust me ;)

10. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Check out this for getting started with Max-OT: http://www.ast-ss.com/training/getting_started/getting_started.asp?part=1&page=1

Don't jump all the way straight into Max-OT, start with the acclimation routine outlined in that link.

When you aren't running track, really work at your legs. It will help you a lot. If you can work a leg routine in once a week during track season, definitely do it.

11. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Maybe my 4.5 forty can be attributed to this! (in high school, not anymore though haha)

12. hobowitharolex

hobowitharolex Well-Known Member

that has to be the shittyest routine ever, no legs, no traps, no shoulders, and biceps twice a week, all i can say is max-ot would be a huge improvement over that

my speed has improved from a 4.6 40 time to a 4.5 since ive started lifitng

13. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

Hey hobowitharolex, Here's this kid with a good question and some concerns and all you have to say is how shitty his current routine is. You're a jackass dude.