1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I added a "Sex" field to User Profile & Postbit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by John Stone, Feb 2, 2004.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

This seems like a useful feature because our avatars and usernames often don't indicate one way or the other. Of course you may leave your sex unspecified if you like.

The information will show up in your user profile, and also on the right-hand side of the post header. If you don't specify your sex it will show "???".

You can put it in by going to "My Control Panel" -> "Edit Profile" (or just click here)

2. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

I hate to be nitpicky but I really hate this widespread misuse of the word gender in our society (i.e. "Gender differences")

Gender is a yes/no question (does this species have Gender?)
    SEX is the differentiation between different types of reproductive equipment in a species with gender.

It is correct to say "Sex: Female" but not "Gender: Female"

I have always hated that one bit of bad english brought upon us by people who don't like to use the word sex because of the other meaning.

This public service announcement was brought to you by the Oxford Dictionary of the English Language.

(P.S. I realize that my spelling and grammar and usage are not always correct (I'm sure there are much bad grammar even in this own peragraph))

OK I've vented carry on :)

-Allen

"Me fail english? Unpossible!"

3. Lindset

Lindset Well-Known Member

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gender

4. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Excellent point. You are correct, of course.

I always attempt to use words to their foremost correctiveness, so I'll change it. Thanks. ;)

5. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

...and from the same site:

"Usage Note: Traditionally, gender has been used primarily to refer to the grammatical categories of “masculine,” “feminine,” and “neuter,” but in recent years the word has become well established in its use to refer to sex-based categories, as in phrases such as gender gap and the politics of gender. This usage is supported by the practice of many anthropologists, who reserve sex for reference to biological categories, while using gender to refer to social or cultural categories."

:)

6. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

Ooooh! I'm going to use that one at work today, somehow! :nod:

7. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

You'll sound pretty smart if you do.

8. Lindset

Touché :)

(I had actually read a little more on that page and started thinking that I may have been wrong.. but decided not to remove/edit my post anyway) :D

9. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

Lind you are NOT wrong. The words meaning have changed over time so that Gender == Sex in usage in a lot of cases.

I just fight the needless changing of the meaning of words furthering the bastardization of the english language. -- Although I'm guilty of perpetuating it all the time. So it's "cool"!

-Allen

10. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

By the way, your use of "i.e." is incorrect.

"i.e", an abbreviation for the Latin phrase id est, means "that is". Because "gender differences" is only one example of the misuse of the word "gender", you should have used "e.g.", which is an abbreviation for the latin phase "exempli gratia" and means "for example."

Oh, it's on now... ;)

11. Lindset

Something that do annoy me is people saying "I could care less" when what they really should say is "I couldn't care less".. I mean.. the point is to say that they don't care at all, but if they say "I could care less" it means that there's still some room for caring less.. heh heh

ah well ;)

12. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

I always wondered what the difference was! Thank you for educating me I will start doing that correctly immediately! (i.e. right now!)

-Allen

13. Andrew M

Andrew M Well-Known Member

Too much time........
    ............. not enough thought.

Andrew.

14. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Maybe you should clarify that statement, otherwise some people might take that as an insult.

15. Andrew M

Clarification

First of all no insults intended to anyone.

Fair enough this thread is in the "Off Topic Discussions" section, but when a thread you started about an enhancement to the boards morphs into a discourse of the finer points of Latin carried into modern English, and the drift of the meaning of English words in our modern society, then I think that people have spent too much time focusing on it, and not enough about their fitness, and its many facets. This is a fitness forum after all.

My comments were illconsidered, and if I have caused offence, I apologise.

Andrew.

16. brownguy

brownguy Well-Known Member

:D
    I guess one man's entertainment is another man's "too much time...not enough thought." To each his own, eh? :D

had to add the happy face to put it in context

17. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Andrew, fitness is not the only topic we talk about here, and that is why this "Off-Topic" forum exists. If you are only interested in fitness, then I fail to see why you would even bother reading the "Off-Topic" forum.

Not only do you have no right to question what is discussed here, your comment:

"...then I think that people have spent too much time focusing on it, and not enough about their fitness, and its many facets"

...is insulting in and of itself. If you have nothing meaningful to add to the fun conversation that we had going on here (at least until you arrived), then move on to a subject that is of more interest to you.

18. Maximus

Maximus Guest

What he said

19. Andrew M

Fair enough.

Sorry all.

Andrew.

20. Chris_Otto

Chris_Otto Well-Known Member

To quote the immortal Austin Powers:

"Sex?"