1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Husky Again!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by BJ, Aug 31, 2009.

1. BJ

BJ Active Member

Time to start the official bulk! I am excited! :spaz:

I look back and am amazed by my progress in my cut, so I am really looking forward to the results from a bulk.

The Goal
    I am thinking that I would like to end up ~180 with a low enough bf% that I can see my abs. That said, I am just going to take this month at a time and see how my body is reacting... adjusting accordingly. I am thinking that I will probably have to cut, bulk, and cut again before I get there... we'll see

Activity
    Still using HIT lifting... still on the universal machine at work during lunch. I know that many think I could get a better workout if I would go to heavy compounds, but let me tell you... it wouldn't be better because I probably wouldn't do it. For now, this is the only time I have. I will though, start scoping out the specialized routines in the New HIT book... see what I can adapt to the equipment I have at work.

Diet
    I have been ~1600 - 1800 for a lot of my cut... seemed to work really well. Starting today at 2450... increasing 250 / week to 3000. Will see what my body tells me after a few weeks at 3000. Bring one the food :drool::eat:

Supplements
    I already did the creatine loading phase described in the HIT book... no more sugar water thanks :spitwater: Will continue with 5g of creatine / day

Also taking Nitrean and Optimum Nutrition Whey

Other than that, just a multi, fish oil, and flax oil pill... and my MonaVie

2. BJ

BJ Active Member

Had a GREAT workout today... about time! :bang: last week was really flat.

More comfortable with the straps on pull downs and rows... they certainly make it a lot nicer!

Seems like military press has been stuck at the same weight / rep range for too long... I go in telling myself that this is the workout every time, but my arms lock up right around 9-10 reps every time :mad:

On calves I have been doing full reps followed immediately by 1/2 reps followed by full reps (no breaks... continuous motion) to make up for the lack of weight. Any other suggestions (I am using all that the machine has to offer)

[​IMG]

3. Akira-Kai

Akira-Kai Well-Known Member

All the best for your bulk! Hopefully don't do what I did and cave into massive post-cutting cravings!

4. BJ

BJ Active Member

Food for today... (I don't plan to do this long term, just long enough to get into the habit)

Input is welcomed...

I am shooting for 60/20/20 or 50/30/20... not sure yet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I just finished grilling 6 chicken breasts, and 3 steaks... have about 10 cube steaks on the smoker along with a big sirloin :drool:

5. BJ

BJ Active Member

6. BJ

BJ Active Member

Today's workout wasn't so hot... not enough sleep last night... fighting the first cold of the season. I quit early :(

Going to do this workout one more time on Friday then start hitting some of the specialized routines out of the HIT book... thinking chest first.

[​IMG]

7. BJ

BJ Active Member

OK... back from the long weekend. Today's workout was a KILLER! I did the specialized chest workout from the New HIT book. wowee! Everything through the negative pushups was without a break between each exercise

I also tried squats on the machine for the first time.... went with a low weight so I could be sure on form... will increase it next workout.

I will do this workout 4 times (well, 3 more) total over this week and next, then back to the full body workout for 2 weeks.

Food is still going good... shooting for 2750 cal / day this week, then up to 3000 next week. Going to stick at 3000 for a couple of weeks to see how it goes.

[​IMG]

#7 BJ, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  8. BJ

BJ Active Member

I am sore today!!!! :claphigh:

My chest is hurting. AWESOME!

9. BJ

BJ Active Member

Today's workout was good! Can't wait to see the changes that I know my body is going to undergo by working out hard and eating a lot (of clean food of course)

All the way up to 3000 calories next week :eat:

[​IMG]

10. BJ

BJ Active Member

Question for everyone (the one or two of you that read this :lol:)

Should I take mid-month progress pics or wait til the end? The scales have only moved a couple pounds.

I have reasons for and against...

FOR
    I've want to see the results... been on creatine since the last two weeks of August

AGAINST
    I haven't really been eating that much more (2450 calories for one week now 2750 for another)... don't think that would be enough to show significant results. (Although I was at 2200 the last two weeks of Aug)

11. BJ

BJ Active Member

I've been a slacker at updating this week... too busy at work!

Anyway, completed the specialized chest routine today (4 workouts in 2 weeks). Plan is to go back to a full body routine for 2 weeks then do another specialized routine for 2 weeks... keep rotating through full body and specialized until I complete...

back
    shoulders
    upper arms

That will take me almost to Christmas...

I am now eating 3000 calories and intend to stay at that level for a while. Weight is going back on... my waist feels a little bigger, but I keep telling myself that I can & will cut again after I add the muscle.

The extra calories have helped with progress in the workouts... weights keep going up!

12. BJ

BJ Active Member

Here's the workout file...

(Oh... and I talked them into buying a pull up and dip station at work :D Excited to have some new equipment... now if I could just get a leg press sled)

[​IMG]

13. BJ

BJ Active Member

and here's the bulk progression...

6 Month Graph
    [​IMG]

2 Month Graph
    [​IMG]

#13 BJ, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  14. Akira-Kai

Akira-Kai Well-Known Member

Personally I would (and do) take a progress pic once a month, every month. It's just another part of the routine to keep you on track.

15. BJ

BJ Active Member

I was a big time slacker over the weekend... didn't really track anything, didn't drink enough water. :o :doh:

Oh well... get over it and keep going

Going to do a full body routine for this week and next... 3 days a week. Here's today's workout...

Doing the negative chins and dips sure was a lot of work!

Didn't guess right on several of the weights... get it right on Wednesday

[​IMG]

16. BJ

BJ Active Member

HOLY CRAP... This workout is a killer! :eek: Need to talk to the guy that came up with this one :lol:

The huge difference in weights on deadlifts and shrugs is because I went from using the machine to using free weights. I am only recording the weights added and not including the weight of the bar. (Not really sure how much a standard curl bar weighs).

I was sore on Tuesday from doing this Monday... hate to think about what I'm going to feel like tomorrow...

[​IMG]

17. BJ

BJ Active Member

Overall I am happy with my bulking progress so far... I can definitely tell I'm getting stronger... weights keep going up.

I am adding a bit more belly fat than I wanted to, but I know that I can lose it later. (Already proved that to myself).

I really do not want to slow muscle growth down, so I will continue with the 3000 calorie diet.

I can't wait to see my end of month pictures... just a week and a half away! I am expecting to be able to tell a difference (well... especially the belly fat :doh:)

Still taking creatine and using Nitrean. Outside of that I am taking a daily multi and drinking MonaVie... no other supplements. Considered RESULTS from ALN, but think I will just stick with creatine for now.

Any recommendations from anyone?

18. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

BJ,

When I started adding more fat in my diet it seemed to help lean me up a little bit. I like RESULTS better than regular creatine. I take creatine 500 powder everyday (5g). If I had the extra cash I would be taking RESULTS. I liked drink RESULTS while working out, gave me a little energy.

Have you considered a fish oil supplement?

19. BJ

BJ Active Member

I was thinking about ordering some RESULTS today actually... might do it in a few days. How much fish oil do you recommend? My wife has been taking the tablets... I do occasionally (and flax seed oil)

20. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

I take 2-3 a day of fish and flax. My fish oil is from AT LARGE. The flaxseed is from walmart. Also I take 2-3 Multi V's (atlarge) a day. Every big meal I take these pills.