1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

HR question for a female over 60

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by hourglassy, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Dr.Jen

Dr.Jen Active Member

cardio and weights, CVD osteoporosis

Cardio is great for this woman, but another major concern is osteoporosis. This disease is almost ubiquitous amoung thinner caucasian women. The leaner we are as we enter menapause, the lower our estrogen level. The lower the estrogen level, the higher the risk of osteoporosis. This is why the combination of cardio and intense but safe weight training is so important for this age group! (Good points about legs and back, Zen...:tu:

Here is an article I wrote on Osteoporosis. I know it relates to golfers, but it translates to everyone... and talks about weight training!

So- in the end, being lean on your 60's and 70's (and further) is not always good unless you have a stockpile of bone mass you add to by weight training!

Dr. jen

2. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Legs and back.....me?

If there's one thing I know about fitness, and one thing I like to tell people about fitness, it's that it's legs and back, legs and back, legs and back. In that order. And don't forget your legs or back.

No reason not to get your cardio along with the legs and back.

3. Dr.Jen

Dr.Jen Active Member

Legs and Back

Yeah- everything we do in life seems to entail the front of the body. We tend to forget about the back of the body... more specifically the hamstrings and rhomboids...

This Utube clip: I have done this as shown here. It's very important to have a strong clore to do this stuff. Any abarrent movement (twisting/forward flexion) can be harmful to disks on the lower back if the your 30's/40's and compromising to the vertebrae for women in their 50's plus... Careful and slow on the increase in weights.

All good stuff...

4. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

That should go without saying for everything, but you have a good point - it's worth reminding people that they should always use appropriate weight. It's bad to use way too little, but it's even worse to use way too much.