1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

hows this for a plan

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by citrixmeta, Feb 19, 2004.

1. citrixmeta

citrixmeta Well-Known Member

hello all.

i just want to announce that im down to 281lbs from 305lbs.
    (i started the plan begining of Jan 2004)

i just wanted to show my plan, just incase im doing something wrong.

Daily plan:

7:00AM Protein shake
    all-bran cereal (1% skim milk)
    9:00AM granola bar
    10:30AM fat free fruit yogurt
    12:00 Can of tuna/soup lots of water.
    1:30pm fat free fruit yogurt
    6:00pm healthy meal usualy includes chicken breast/Steak, salad, veggies (all the good stuff)
    7:00pm start workout of with 60-90mins of weights, bench press,
    10:00 Protein shake after workout
    pushups, bicep curls, triceps etc..

and finish with 25mins elliptical trainer.

i would finish my day off around 9:30pm, take a shower, and have a
    Protein shake

i would go to bed around 11:00pm

i have been following this eating plan since the begining of Jan2004.

what do you think?

#1 citrixmeta, Feb 19, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  2. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

depending on portion size that last meal might be a bit high in carbs for a late meal, can you switch to something more protein based?

apart from that it looks pretty good.

3. citrixmeta

last meal, are you talking about small bowl of Muslix cereal after workout?

4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Well-Known Member

It's obviously working for you and I subscribe to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory. Having said that, I'll offer a couple of minor changes.

The last meal looks a little high in carbohydrates for late night. Try substituting some protein based meal. The fat free yogurt is probably full of sugar. If they're using an artificial sweetner, it's probably Ok. If not find something else. Low fat or not, the crackers are a refined carbohydrate and you really should eliminate those eventually.

I hate to tell anyone not to eat fruits. They're probably fine for you right now, but they do contain sugar. You will eventually reach a plateau, and when you do, consider eliminating the fruit to cut the last few pounds. For now, don't eat the really sweet fruits (ie pineapple, banana, watermelon).

The most important this is that your present diet is working for you. If you like what you're eating and it's easy for you to stick with it, then that's the most important thing. If you can't stick with it then it's not worth much to you.

5. citrixmeta

great! thanks for the info!

another thing though, so theres nothing wrong with weight lifting and cardio every day of the week?

6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Well-Known Member

There are lots of theories on exercising and someone is sure to disagree with me. That's Ok as I'm willing to start the discussion.

Your program is similar to mine with a couple of exceptions. I do the weight work before the cardio. The best approach is probably to do the cardio and weight work at separate time during the day. I just don't have time to go to the gym twice a day.

I have a three day split routine doing weight training on Mon Wed Fri. On the days that I weight train, I do 30 minutes of moderate intensity cardio after the weights. On the off days, I do 45 to 60 minutes of moderate intensity cardio. I always take off one day during the week. I try to make Sunday the off day but it doesn't always happen that way.

There really is a method to the madness in weight training. There are different theories about what works best but there are certain rules that everyone follows. For instance, you never work the triceps before doing a bench press. That one's pretty obvious but I'm amazed at how many beginners I see in the gym who don't know that. If you are brand new to weight training then you really need to learn the basics. You can't just go haphazardly from one exercise to another.

Find someone to teach you the basics, buy a book, or read on line. I suggest that you stay with the compound exercises for quite a while. If you're doing intense compound exercises you can probably get everything done in 45 minutes or less. If you haven't done so, read up on Max OT. I don't believe it's for the beginner as it's quite intense and I think you need to work up to it.

7. citrixmeta

ok i got whey protein shake to replace the late night snack after workout.

should it be mixed with OJ? or 1%skim Milk...

which would be betteR?

8. fluke

fluke Well-Known Member

Nonfat milk would be best. 1% after that. OJ has sugars which will just get turned into fat if you drink it that late, and Milk has more protien.

Sounds like youve got a good plan going, and that its really working for you. I would do as ThatOldGuy does and do weights before cardio, to get more out of the lifting. And once you reach a more ideal weight, I'd stop cardio on lifting days. But for now, its what is going to give you the best results, so stick to it!

Have you taken pictures? You really should,. your before/afters are going to be quite impressive. :tu:

#8 fluke, Feb 22, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2004
  9. citrixmeta

thanks fluke, i will definitly take some shots tonight, i will also try to find a before pic.

10. citrixmeta

btw, im not overtraining am i?

i just replaced the 30-40mins bike with an elliptical trainer, i do approx. 10-20mins of that.

but with all this combined/everyday, am i overtraining?

11. citrixmeta

i was doing some reading.. and i think im overtraining.

i will take a week 1/2 off from weight lifting this week, but continue doing some cardio.

meanwhile i will create a weight lifting plan.

12. citrixmeta

just an update since my last post,

following this plan im currently at 262lbs :) from 305lbs

and noticed a huge diff on the shape of my body, everything is rounding off :)

thanks everyone.

13. tan_pao_wei

tan_pao_wei Well-Known Member

i would like to know about the part having too much calories too late.

i run at 8pm-9pm then after that i will eat 2 piece of mircowaved chicken breast and one cup of veggie at 10pm then i would sleep at 12pm. However, my total daily calorie intake is about 1500.

if yr total daily calorie is ok, eating late doesnt affect much on weight loss right? aniw if i sleep for 8hrs, and one hour of sleep burns 50cal(some table i found on net says so), that means i am burning 400cal but my last meal is about 350cal, its perfectly alright, isn't it?

how serious is eating late affect weight loss? cos i really cant find a better time to eat earlier...

14. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

it's high carbs you want to avoid late night, not cals. Chicken and some veg is perfect, you do need some carbs, just not lots.