1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How we spend our days...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by firebert, Jul 20, 2010.

1. firebert

firebert Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Rabbit rabbit. :spaz:

Thanks for stopping by! The karate group I train with (we meet in a dance studio on a college campus, so our "dojo" is virtual) does Shotokan style.

I'm new at martial arts, so I don't have much of a frame of reference for how it compares with other styles, but I do feel that the emphases (hard vs soft, etc) suit me fairly well. I've been with the group training twice a week now for about five months.

--

Saw 242.x on the scale this morning, pleased about that. My left knee feels a little sore, I'm guessing from overuse; not so pleased about that.

On-plan today as far as food; workout still to come.

2. misterjingo

misterjingo Well-Known Member

Sounds like everything is going well. Congrats on the weight loss!

What is a gi?

3. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

A gi is the name of that white uniform martial artists wear. At least your weight is trending in the right direction. Keep it up bro.

4. firebert

Bronze Member

Code:
    Dear firebert,

We are pleased to inform you that the visa to China, order number ######, has been granted. 

The status of the application has been updated to "Completed".

Please login into your account for further details. 
    Login page link: https://www.visahq.com/register.php

Thank you,
    ==============================================
    VisaHQ.com Customer Care
    :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

5. firebert

Bronze Member

I strayed, a little, from my diet today. My buddy's bachelor party was today, and consisted mostly of some casual sports (wiffle ball!) in the park followed by cookout burgers. (He's a fairly straight-laced guy.)

I figured I could have one burger and stay within my macros. But they were so good after the long time running around in the sun that I had two. I also had a IBC Root Beer, and a smallish s'more made over a campfire.

Alas for the departure, but I don't actually have regrets about it. It wasn't an all-out binge, as I'm wont to do, and relaxing a bit really did feel consistent with the spirit of the occasion. I know for sure I won't be sticking to the plan at my own bachelor party.

And the exercise was good. It may not have been "training" but I moved, expended calories, and, let's face it: being able to play sports is half the reason I train.

So, not a bad day, I suppose.

#25 firebert, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  6. firebert

Bronze Member

By the way, didn't mean to ignore you guys:

:thanks:

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! :)

7. misterjingo

That is my biggest challenge. It wasn't that I would grab a huge plate of food and eat it all at once-I was/am a horrible grazer. I am in the process of teaching myself new habits-not to eat until I am full but to eat until I am not hungry; that I don't have to eat something that is out as a snack; and what consequences will what I eat have on my body.

Sounds like you did a great job at the party! :tu:

8. firebert

Bronze Member

Today actually wound up looking similar to yesterday-- on plan til 6pm, then non-training but heavy physical activity (hauling concrete and drywall), followed by trying to stay in my macros and eating more than I should but not binging. Hmmm...

In other news, I've been feeling really hungry lately, even though I haven't dropped calories (and I have dropped pounds). I guess my metabolism is finally starting to wake up?

Nicki was very excited to hear that I got my Chinese visa. :D Now to pick dates...

My buddy's wedding is tomorrow, and shortly thereafter I'm headed to the Adirondacks with some friends friend to spend labor day at one of their family's cabins. Might not check in for a few days, but life'll be good.

Til then, keep fighting the good fight, fellas.

9. firebert

Bronze Member

Sheesh.

Spent the evening yesterday in the ER getting my finger stitched up. I cut myself on some tile while doing demolition on my bathroom in preparation for the remodel. :bang:

Other than that it was an enjoyable holiday weekend!

10. firebert

Bronze Member

I'm in way over my head and behind schedule on the bathroom remodel.

And my body's still reeling from last night's injury.

And work is very stressful right now.

I'm feeling like I'm in a state of emergency. Survival mode. So I decided that this is no time to be dieting or training heavily. I'm in "weekend mode". No binging, but no particular rules. Oddly enough, I'll probably lose weight from the stress, added physical work, and the fact that I'm still probably not eating enough (because my routine is shot to hell at the moment).

Survival mode. One day at a time. Finish bathroom, release new beta, heal, start off school year, go to China, fall into Nicki's arms. One day at a time.

Breathe. You'll make it.

11. firebert

Bronze Member

Still way off-plan in terms of diet and training. It's kind of unbelievable to me how thoroughly a big project like this engulfs me and wrecks my routines. It's really no good.

But, the weekend's over, the hard, truly time-consuming aspects of the project (the demolition, eletric, and drywall hanging) are done, and now it's ready-set-stop mode (coat of mud... wait a day... another coat of mud, wait a day... coat of paint... wait 8 hours... another coat of paint, 8 more hours... etc). So... hard-reset Monday.

I'm going to to eat on-plan tomorrow. And train, somehow (maybe go for a run.) I'm not feeling it, but last week was a trainwreck, and I've gotta get back on.

Also gonna update tomorrow (and each day thereafter).

Yup.

No more "we shall see." More "we shall do."

12. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

Hang in there Fire. :)

13. firebert

Bronze Member

Frick.

Everything went to hell and stayed there this week. :mad:

I've got the weekend to pick up the pieces, and then Monday I'm not making any excuses.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

14. misterjingo

Sometimes it just ain't gonna happen for one reason or another. Hang in there! :tu:

15. firebert

Bronze Member

Thanks, guys. The worst is over and I'm back in with a vengeance. Food today was perfect, cardio felt good, weights felt better.

I am of two minds about my upcoming travel to Seoul and Beijing. Obviously, I'm downright ecstatic to be visiting my girlfriend and seeing far-off lands (and the place she's currently calling home) with her. But travel's a personal bugaboo of mine when it comes to eating clean and training.

I'm not going to let the fact that I'm traveling for half of October cut into my motivation for doing the best I can til I leave. (EDIT: In fact, I'm resolved to do just the opposite.) Today was a good start.

Also, if you own a one-bathroom condo and you find yourself considering gutting and remodeling your only bathroom: don't. It's hell.

16. firebert

Bronze Member

Pulldowns: 8x80, 3x120, 8x150, 8x150, 8x150
    Seated Row: 8x60, 3x100, 8x120, 8x120, 8x120
    Deadlifts: 8x135, 8x225, 2x275, 12x275, 12x295

Feeling good.

17. firebert

Bronze Member

DB Flat Bench: 8x55, 4x85, 4x90, 4x90
    Nautilus Flyes: 12x90, 12x110, 12x110, 12x110, 12x110
    Leg raises: 10, 10, 10, 10
    Dips: 6, 4, 3

18. firebert

Bronze Member

Back Squats: 8x135, 4x225, 2x295, 6x300, 6x300
    Leg ext: 12x50, 12x90, 12x90, 12x90, 12x90
    Leg curl: 12x50, 12x90, 12x90, 12x90, 12x90
    Seated Calf Raise: 12x275, 12x275, 12x275, 12x275

19. Apothecary

Apothecary Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I know this feeling very well. I do quite a bit of travel - and a lot of it to Asia.If you eat in restaurants it is especially hard to hit your goals.

One suggestion: Don't be afraid to put down the menu and tell them to make you exactly what you want. If you can refrain from even looking at the menu and simply say "I want chicken, 200g and cook it exactly like this. I want bok-choy, 100g and cook it exactly like this" you will find they are more accommodating than you might think. Also the waiter is sometimes a bit more clueless than the cook. When they say "I don't know how to do 200g" just say "Tell the cook, he knows".

So far the only place I didn't get what I wanted was in France. Every restaurant there thought I was nuts and told me flatly "NO". :mad:

20. firebert

Bronze Member

+1 to this. Most of the time, for me, anyway, the challenge is getting past the fear of being seen as "high-maintenance" or whatever by the waitstaff or my dining companions if they don't already know my commitment to fitness. That and the fact that ordering off-menu kind of gives them carte blanche in terms of the bill-- but compared with the first concern that's almost never an issue. :o

Thanks for stopping by!

--

Karate yesterday. Lots of kata, which gives it a distinctly HIIT feel. Felt good, until I lost a toenail as a result of a misstep. Ow.

45m on the elliptical this morning. I'm catching up on "24" while doing it. I find I definitely go harder on cardio machines when I watch thrillers rather than comedies or dramas. :lol:

--

I booked tickets to Maui for January 20th, 2011. :spaz: My girlfriend is from there (lucky me!) and I'll be staying with her family; afterwards we'll head to Albuquerque for her to meet my family. :scared: but also :jumping:

Been doing some evaluating. My long-term goals still stand. Between now and the end of next year, I'd like to

1. get my powerlifting total up by another 10% or more;
    2. earn my brown belt; and
    3. get my bodyfat levels back down to a "beach-ready" 10%.

Maui is... 9 weeks and 6 days from today. Even going all-out (and neglecting (1) and (2)), I realize that's just not enough time to get to 10% safely. At the same time, it's a good length of time to really build some momentum and make some serious progress towards that goal.

So I think an all-out cut is the way to go.

Now I just need a plan. :rolleyes: