1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How to select a good bread,..??

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by GRCRYSTYK, May 18, 2006.

1. GRCRYSTYK

GRCRYSTYK Well-Known Member

There are too many choices, and none of them I can find look like they are really good healthy bread,...

I have read that a lot of breads even marketed as whole grain, have a base of enriched flour,...

What are the tell tale signs?, in other words, (what should be on the label) of a "healthy" bread, and what are the signs of a less than good choice?

Am I going to have to go to a natural foods store to get this?

Thanks,..>>>--->

2. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

The more ingredients the worse it tends to be.

if it contains glucose-fructose or HFCS ....chuck it.

Probably...some supermarkets are getting better at bringing in good quality breads though.

Here use this as a comparison....

Food For Life Sprouted Bread
    Bread, Ezekiel 4:9, Sprouted, Organic
    Ingredients:
    Organic sprouted wheat, organic sprouted barley, organic sprouted millet, malted barley, organic sprouted lentils, organic sprouted soybeans, organic sprouted spelt, filtered water, fresh yeast, sea salt.

that's a "good" bread.... go from there.

3. GRCRYSTYK

Wow!,.

I'm going to have to educate myself on this,...Did I read somewhere that if the incredients say "flour", or "enriched" anything, it's pretty much the same answer,..Chuck it?

Thanks much for the "Bread 101". I will have a hard look at some breads,..I really need to find one I can use, as I tend to eat a good deal of bread. Not every meal, but enough that plays a significant roll in my diet. Every little bit helps,...Little tyhings ad up to a lot when you look at the big picture,...

Thanks,...>>>--->

4. NoApologies

NoApologies Well-Known Member

From what I understand, look at the amount of dietary fiber....the higher the better.

5. tedpod

tedpod Well-Known Member

go to the frozen section....get ezekial...

the bread isle is a lie...

6. GRCRYSTYK

What type of bread is this Ezekial? Sounds interesting. I can only imagine, with a name like that,...

Thanks,...>>>--->

7. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

This is pretty much all the bread I eat. Alvarado St. Bakery Sourdough

Ingredients: Sprouted Organic Whole Wheat Berries, Filtered Water, Wheat Gluten, Honey, Fresh Yeast, Sea Salt, Soy Based Lecithin, Cultured Wheat.

8. GRCRYSTYK

Got myself some of this Ezekial bread,...Not bad at all,...I like it, just not the price,..Why does evrything good for you have to cost three times as much as the stuff that kills you,...:bang:

>>>--->

9. Rishi P

Rishi P Well-Known Member

Wait, so whole wheat bread isn't good. I usulaly get taht from Pepperidge Farm, any other brands to look out for

10. gfly1

gfly1 Well-Known Member

You have to make sure it's made from Whole grains/wheat. Do not take the advertising or what it says on the front of the package to be the truth.

Check the ingredients list and if the first ingredient isn't whole wheat/grain then put the bread down and go the next. It must say "Whole" and not just whatever flour.

Yes, that means if it says "wheat flour" then put it down.

Whole or nothing..

Second rule of thumb I go by is I only consume bread that has a higher fiber than sugar content. The bigger the gap the better.

If you can meat those 2 simple rules you are going to be okay.

Gfly1

11. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

I would. Enriched means something was lost in the process and they're trying to put it back. Flour, even whole wheat flour is not that great (to me) as the more processed something is (that includes milling even whole grain wheat into flour) the easier for your body to digest, the quicker and more pronouced the insulin response.

For example....(in order of digestion rates and GI/GL response) oat flour (fastest / most pronounced) > quick oats > quick rolled oats > rolled (old fashioned) oats > steel cut (scotch) oats

All contain the same amount of fiber but pound for pound, the best for you are the steel cut oats.

#11 Gordo, May 23, 2006
    Last edited: May 31, 2006
  12. Genetix

Genetix Well-Known Member

Brownberry 12-Grain Bread is the stuff I live by, all I know is it will not give you love handle syndrome :lol:

and contains.. Whole Wheat, Flaxseed, Sunflower Seeds, Brown Rice, and Whey all in the bread. It has 3g of sugar per slice, so if you're looking for a perfect food this isn't it, but it packs a lot in each slice, 2g fiber/4g protein, and essential fats and vitamins. Taste's pretty good too. That'd be my recommendation if you're looking strictly in the bread aisle

13. Genetix

Genetix Well-Known Member

That sounds tasty, i'll have to check around for it. :tucool:

14. GRCRYSTYK

Genetix,..
    Thanks for the heads up on the brownberry. I have been using a Brownberry for quite a while now. It's a low carb variety, as I'm diabetic,but otherwise it isn't all that great as far as the actual ingredients. I will see if I can find the 12 grain.

Coachese,...
    What chain of grocery stores do you get the Alvarado St. Bakery Sourdough from? Or is it a local store of some sort?

I have found the Ezekial at a health food store, and at a local Krogers health food section. Both were too expensive for me to continue purchasing from,..$4.00, and $4.50 a loaf,...I'm not a rich man by any means, and sure want to be healthy, but that is just too much for a loaf of bread,..:eek:

15. Master Moron

Master Moron Well-Known Member

I eat Brownberry bread too, the Healthy Multi-Grain variety. I would really like to get a healthier kind, but unfortunately, I haven't seen any healthier varieties in my grocery store and I don't know of any health food stores near me. I'd quit eating bread altogether, but then what would I put my tuna on?

16. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

My bread of choice is Silver Hills Bakery Squirrelly Bread (although it might only be in Canada - check out www.silverhillsbakery.com to see if you can get it)

The ingredients are:

And the nutrition info is (per 40g slice):

100 cals
    1.5 fat (0 sat)
    17 carbs (1 sugar, 5 fibre)
    5 protein

not bad, imo

17. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

I buy it at Safeway and/or Cala -- both major chains out here.

Also, my sister makes her own bread. With the bread machines these days, apparently it is so easy even SHE can do it.

18. GRCRYSTYK

Coachese,..
    Thanks much,...Not too many Safeways around my area, but I'm on a search for a source for good bread, at a decent price. I will find it sooner or later,...

"Also, my sister makes her own bread. With the bread machines these days."

The bread machine is a good idea. My folks have been retired for quite a few years, and my mom makes bread all the time. It hadn't crossed my mind to look for a mix that could be made in the machine,...Will have to check that out as well,....Thanks again,..

>>>--->

19. zkat

zkat Well-Known Member

The mixes that are sold for bread machines can be worse than the bread. I also make my own bread. The ingredients are as follows: Whole wheat flour, applesauce (you can sub apple sauce 1:1 in any recipe to cut the fat) honey, water, yeast and gluten.

I also make a rye bread when my husband is bulking that is very good.

If we have to buy bread at the store, I usually go with Peppridge Farms 100% natural.

Kat.

20. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

I'm not part of the anti-bread camp. Sure, there are better choices, but few are as convenient and 2 slices per day is unlikely to be a problem for most people. I have a turkey sandwich pretty much daily. I have used a variety of breads over the years just fine, but my favorite now, nutrition-wise and taste is Pepperidge Farm's 7-grain Carb Style bread. It's $4 a loaf, which is a bit pricier for bread, but it lasts me a good 2-3 weeks, so it's not a problem.

There's 60 calories per slice and like 3g fiber per slice or something and 5 "net carbs".

The only rule of thumb I go by when I'm cutting (maintaining or bulking I'll eat anything) is the first ingredient has to be 100% stone ground wheat flour or something similar. Enriched wheat flour I try to avoid.