1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How to buy bulk dextrose and maltodextrin

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by uknow, May 28, 2005.

1. uknow

uknow Well-Known Member

Check with your local bakery supply wholesaler for cheap prices on PWO shake ingredients like dextrose and maltodextrin.

I, like many others, like to combine dextrose, maltodextrin and whey for a PWO shake.

Dextrose, (AKA glucose, corn sugar) is sold by NOW at about $2/lb. However, it can be purchased for around $20 for a 50-lb bag at your bakery ingredient wholesaler. It will be sold as Staleydex 333 by AE Staley or Clintose by ADM or Cerelose by Corn Products Corp. or someother version by Cargill or whoever.

Maltodextrin (MD) is a bit more complicated, but the savings are even greater. Supplement shops sell several versions such as Carbo Gain, Carbo Max, Carbo Plex, etc. All of these versions either clearly advertise themselves as or the ingredients indicate that they are nothing more than corn based MD. In most cases, they are $3 to $4/lb (sometimes they are on sale at closer to $2.50/lb.)

Maltodextrins are sold in different varieties. The most important item to concern yourself with is its Dextose Equivalence or DE. From what I have gathered, this is an indication of sweetness, wth the DE being roughtly a percentage of sweetness of pure dextrose. It is also my understanding that MDs, by definition, have DEs less than 20. I have also gathered, that the most common MD DE is roughly 10 and that most supplement suppliers are using MDs with DEs of 10.

So, if you call up your bakery supplier and request a MD with a DE of 10, you will get a 50-lb bag for about $20-$25 or about $0.40-$.50/lb. The brand names, again, will be Cargill Dry MD 01960, Maltrin M100, Clintose CR10, but it will all be roughly the same corn based MD.

Now all you have to do is find some friends to share them with. However, if you work out 3- to 4-times/week and use a 1/4 to a half cup of each per WO, it will go more quickly than you think.

2. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between these and simple white sugar?

I usually eat fruit after my weight training. Is simple sugar (or dextrose and maltodextrin) better?

3. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

This is way oversimplifying but: malto and dex are glucose while table sugar is sucrose. You want glucose for restoring blood glucose levels, recovery, etc.

4. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Thank you!

So how many grams should I add to my shake after workout?

TIA,

5. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

The most commonly accepted ratio is 2:1 sugar to whey. For example: 30g dex + 30g malto (60g) and 30g whey.

6. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Thank you!

7. Stecman

Stecman Well-Known Member

8. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Well, I just have to put my two cents in - www.allthewhey.com has just produced a weight gainer called SuperMass 600 and it may be what you are looking for. If you decide to try it......drop me an email at wheystation@aol.com and I can get you a 2.00 discount.

Have a great week.

Laura :gl:

9. Stecman

Stecman Well-Known Member

So I called around and there are no bakery outlets in my area. Closest one is three hours away.

Cheap way to buy dextrose/maltodextrin online? Any other ideas?

Oh, and as for the weight gainer... I don't really want someone's concoction of it, I want it pure so I can mix it myself. :)

10. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

You could always use the candy "smarties" , just pure dextrose in nice little round shapes. Cheap ( a 1lb package is like 1.50 at wallgreens ) and can be found everywhere. 1 package ( roll ) is 7 grams of dextrose. I use 11 to hit my macros :D Best of all it feels like your cheating when you eat them but your really not :tu:

11. uknow

uknow Well-Known Member

Honeyville Grain is a good on-line source for both MD and dextrose. There web site is:

www.honeyvillegrain.com

MD is listed here:

http://www.store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=485

It is the Maltrin brand of MD with a DE of 10 and a 50-lb bag is $41.65.

Dextrose is listed here:

http://www.store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=481

I am not sure what brand they sell. A 50-lb bag is $37.87

I have never ordered either of these products here, but their current policy is $4.49 fixed priced shipping for any sized order. Someone should try ordering a bag of each and see if they will ship 100-lb of product for $4.49.

12. Enigma66

Enigma66 Well-Known Member

Apparently they will. I ordered a bag of each today and it was processed with $4.49 s&h.

13. Malkavian

Malkavian Well-Known Member

Shops that cater to home brewing your own beer usually have dex and malto in great supply due to its uses in the brewing process. If there's a local homebrew shop nearby you should be able to pick it up in bulk and save on shipping

14. JK2005

JK2005 Well-Known Member

Is this true when cutting? My post workout shakes have only 2 scoops of whey - nothing else. I have a banana with it.