1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How should I go further?

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Daan, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Daan

Daan Well-Known Member

Hi,

I’ve been coming to this site for a few weeks now but this is the first time I post out here. I’ve been training for about 4 months now and I lost 44.88 lbs. For the past 4 months I did spinning 4 times a week 1 hour. And sometimes when I felt like it I lifted some weights.

Here are some of my stats:

Start:
    Length: 75.25 inch or 191 cm
    Weight: 219.34 lbs or 99.7 Kgs
    Arms: 13 inch or 33 cm
    Chest: 44.98 inch or 104 cm
    Waist: 39.79 inch or 101 cm
    Hips: 40.19 inch or 102 cm
    upper leg: 22.85 inch or 58 cm
    Calves 14.18 inch or 36 cm

Last week:
    Length: 75.25 inch or 191 cm
    Weight: 174.46 lbs or 79.3 kgs
    Arms: 11.62 inch or 29.5 cm
    Chest: 38.22 inch or 97 cm
    Waist: 33.88 inch or 86 cm
    Hips: 36.25 inch or 92 cm
    upper leg: 22.06 inch or 56 cm
    Calves: 15.17 inch or 38.5 cm

I am happy with what I achieved. I lost a lot of inches of my stomach and I lost a lot of water and Fat.
    My Body Fat % went from around 22% to 11% but still there is some fat on the left and right side and also on the front side.

I want to get rid of this al… No fat for me anymore but I also whant to grow a little bit. As you can see my arms are smaller then the used to be, actually, everything is smaller except my calfs.

Is there anyone how can help me on what to do next to get a body with LOW FAT, a nice six pack, chest and arms?

Greets,
    Daan

Ps. Excuse me for my bad English, in some sentences. I am form the Netherlands….

PS2.
    Here are my "before" and "after" pics
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. dobber38

dobber38 Well-Known Member

I would definitely start lifting more weights if I were you. You need resistence training. Even if you were to add basic exercises like pullups, dips and pushups with a few compound movement like Squats and benches you will be better off for it.

I'm not trying to be mean and I hope you don't interpret this badly, but you really have no muscle tone whatsoever on your body. By incorporating some resistence training to your regimen you will firm up a bit a have a leaner, meaner body.

You have done admirably so far, but it is time to take the next step. :gl:

3. Daan

Daan Well-Known Member

Hi dobbert38

Thanks for your reply. Of course I don’t interpret this badly… I am here to hear other people’s opinion. I know I don’t have any muscle tone whatsoever but that wasn’t my first objective. I first wanted to lose a lot of my body fat. I have done pretty well I think but I need to lose the last few pound around my waist. But I am not sure how to do this. Just by doing a lost of crunches, or keep on the cardio to burn the fat?
    Last week I started doing resistance training and it feels great.
    I spin for 1 hour 4 times a week. And after that I I work my upper body for another hour. So I think I will have some muscle tone in a few months… but then the question remains.,.. How to lose the last few pounds around my waist?

4. dobber38

dobber38 Well-Known Member

Daan ~ If you are doing cardio and resistance, and are eating properly then you *will* lose that last bit of stomach fat, but you will also lose from other parts of your body until the only place to take it off is your stomach.

You won't lose stomach fat by doing crunches-the only way to do that is by losing the fat through diet and exercise.

You're making great progress-I'm glad you didnt take my comments badly. Just remember that your body is fighting desparately to cling to that fat around your middle. But give it time and you will win the battle. :d_smile:

5. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

Cardio will burn the fat but resistance training is what will get rid of that last little bit.

So here's what you do. Keep doing your cardio. It sounds like it's working for you and it also sounds like you enjoy it. Go to BODYBUILDING.COM and use their workout database to find a workout that meets your needs. If I were you I would probably start out with a 2 day a week full body workout. Stick with this workout for a month or so and then re-evaluate what your goals are.

If you really want a challenge go over to CROSSFIT.COM and do their Work Out of the Day. The Crossfit workout does cardio and explosive resistance training at the same time with the idea of being functionally fit.

Good luck. :tu:

6. Daan

Daan Well-Known Member

dobber38> Thanks man. I have six months before summer begins again. Then I have to look fit when I'm on the beach :-)

AMR> A girlfriend of mine who is studying to become a fitness instructor gave me the same advice you gave me. To do a full body workout 2 day's a week. So I started that one last week. But I am doing it 4 times a week. (the more the better I thought) but is it wrong to do this that much? Should I do it 2 times a week, or can I stick to 4 times a week?

Se also advised me to build in to protein shakes into my diet. Is this right? I' don’t like taking such stuff (maybe I am over-careful or something but you never know) Is it necessary for me to take this? She told my I'll probably will burn my muscle tone instead of my body fat if I don't start taking some shakes every day.

thanks for the advice it's really helping me!

Daan

7. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

She is closer to right, 2-3 workouts. You can overtrain. She also is correct on protein. You made a mistake that many do, thinking they will get rid of fat before starting weights. you end up losing muscle and become a skinny fat person with low metabolism.

Muscle is important to help lose fat. It adds to metabolism becouse you burn 19 times as much calories with muscle then the same amount of fat. Now you can get on the right path. Pump the iron and build muscle.

8. Bustmybutt

Bustmybutt Well-Known Member

If you want a total body workout twice a week, see if your gym has BODY PUMP classes. These are so awesome, and really push your limits. This is more for building lean and long muscle mass, but I see the instructors (one of them is a man), and they look unbelievable! They have excellent muscle definition. The one instructor has increased her protein in the past eix weeks and is is looking pretty darned ripped. I have been doing pump for six weeks and am feeling rock hard under this fat. Things are certainly going well with these classes.

I hate protein shakes too, but have resigned myself to drinking them again. With the amount of hard training I have been doing, I just can't get the protein my body needs and I am back sliding.

There is this new stuff out called "Necter". It is made by Syn-Trax. It has only 80 calories, zero carbs and zero sugar in it. It is 23 grams of protein a scoop. It tastes like a fruit drink and dissolves instantly in water. I do not feel fat or bloated at all on it. I did not believe in drinking my protein intake since I am cutting up. However, I have learned that I just can't eat that much protein to support my training anymore.

You look awesome so far by the way. Excellent work.

#8 Bustmybutt, Nov 10, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  9. Daan

Daan Well-Known Member

rtestes> Thanks for the advice. I'll drop 1 op the day's to 3 day's in a week. and I'll buy some protein shakes. I'm close to that skinny fat person and I don't want that!

Bustmybutt> I defiantly will try the Body Pump. There is a class every night in my gym. I already wanted to take one. It seems like a lot of fun.

10. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

The only reason I suggested 2 times a week was to ease you into it. 3 days a week would probably be optimum. Also, if you are going to do a full body workout 2 or 3 days a week don't do the same workout every day. Find Three different full body workouts that you like and switch them up all the time. One could be with weights, one could be with just your body weight and a third could be a combo or a circuit.

Protein shakes are nothing to be afraid of and some of them are pretty darn tasty. Of course nothing beats whole food as source of protein but if you can't eat anymore chicken breasts, cottage cheese or tuna then a protein shake is the next best thing. There's lots of great concoctions that you can come up with. For example I'm on this peanut butter thing right now so I always add a spoonfull of PB to my shake before I blend it. I've also been making my shakes lately with skim milk instead of water. Another thing I add sometimes is a spoonfull of Ovaltine to a vanillia shake. MMMMMMMM, tastes really good.

Try 'em out. I bet you'll like them.

11. Daan

Daan Well-Known Member

Hi Guy's and Girls,

First thanks for the advice you all gave me. I've been drinken the protain shakes like hell... I love them!!!

I have been working out pretty hard lately. I feel like I’ve grown a little bit in my cheats, arms and shoulders. But there is still one thing bothering my, and that’s my waist.

If you look at my pics. (The one in the red boxer is from today) I still have that waist. I almost did not loose any inches of my waist. When I look at some of your pics, and for example the one of John. After only for months you can already really see his abs. But I still have a lot of fat there (or loose skin maybe???) When I bent over my belly drops over my boxer... It's really the only think that is still really really bothering about my body...

Is there any thing I can do about this to get it as flat as possible?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

I hope you are working out with weights and always attempting to increase resistance. This isn't a time to go light or do high reps. I want you to try this waist routine tonight.

1. Crunch: do as many as you can but no more than 12 reps for 1 set. I want you to take 10 seconds for up movement and 5 seconds for return move. Each rep will take 15 seconds. No rest between reps.

2. Reverse Crunch: same as above.

3. Vaccums: do three reps trying to hold vaccum for 30 sec.

Do these 3 exercises each night. If you are superman and can do 12 reps add weight on crunches and increase time on vaccums to 60 sec.

#12 RTE, Nov 30, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  13. radonix

radonix Well-Known Member

Mate I can understand you wanting to lose fat, but in the SAS exercise training manual I have it states that you need body fat as reserves when you are stranded and have no food. The book says 15% is the amount you want.

Now I don't know if this is still true today or that has changed the book was published around 1992, so the information is probably out of date but it does make sense that you would need bodyfat.

14. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

What is SAS? I have never been without food in my life, I wonder what the probability of that happening is?

15. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Well-Known Member

I'd say the chance is about 0% for anyone who has the financial resources to afford a computer and an internet connection (ie every member of JSF). I suppose if you're a mountain climber or backwoodsman you could get stranded somewhere for a few days.:)

16. Daan

Daan Well-Known Member

I am Working out with weights and increasing resistance every time I can. It feels great. I already can lift more then I could 3 weeks ago. So that goes great.
    Thanks for the tips about the extersises. I will try them tonight! had to look in the bodybuilding.com site to look what the Reverse Crunch was but I think I understand it.

radonix> What is SAS? I know I don't need to lose ALL my body fat... But I would like to get my waist RockHard

17. NEdge

NEdge Well-Known Member

I guess radonix is from the UK. SAS are the UK special forces.

Of course some sports/professions are optimal with more body fat than others. Usually people engaging in those activities realize that. For instance if I were going to start to do the longer backpacking trips that I used to do (even only 2-3 days) I’d want to put on 10-15lb of fat and slow my metabolism down a bit. There is no way I'd want to be carrying 6000 calories of food for 2 days, or stop every 2-3 hours for a full on meal - especially in the winter.

No-one in their right mind would think of climbing Everest without a good excess of body fat (well maybe some sherpas that can get up and down in 19 hours – but that’s just out there!)

Just to keep on thead - Dean, it may take a bit longer to see your abs, but you might try bulking a bit first. The extra muscle will make loosing those last few pounds easier and give you a bit of a mental break. With a clean bulk you should be able to add quite a bit of muscle without adding too much fat.

18. Gohanssj

Gohanssj Well-Known Member

Heh, once I turn 18 im gonna apply for the SFDRS (special forces direct recruiting scheme) for the SASR here in australia, they are the SAS, yet the australian version, they do more things in ways than the SAS in the UK, ive heard alot of american and uk soldiers and other special forces such as the Navy Seals or Delta force say that the SASR are a hardcore bunch of guys.

But im like that, ive grown up that way, yet in straining situations I can keep my head, and beleive me ive had alot of those experiences lol, my father tried out for the NZSASR the New Zealand Special Air Service Regiment, cause he was in the new zealand army even though hes australian, he actually got selected, though he turned them down cause he wanted to go to malaya and they were going to put him through 12 months of training instead, so i guess its in my blood, though im not gonna turn em down lol.

Yes I am aiming to keep a certain amount of body fat and keep it there, probably about 8-13% and keep myself hell fit, now all im tryin to do is come up with a total bodyweight workout routine, cause its best not to build muscle and just make your muscle adapt to using your body to your maximum.