1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you cheat?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by oxalic, Apr 17, 2011.

1. oxalic

oxalic Active Member

I try not to cheat on my diet, but on the weekends everyone wants to drink. Drinking is just soo many calories. Lately i'll give myself 1 day out of the week to drink.

I try to watch calories still, but i feel like drinking gets them so high.

I might have to quit drinking to get rid of these pounds :(

2. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

1ish meal a week as proscribed by Scivation.com Peak Pyramid training program.

3. huxald

huxald Well-Known Member

Alcohol is not an essential nutrient. There's absolutely no redeeming value in alcohol...mind you, i may be biased b/c I've never drank. And for those who believe that alcohol is cardio protective...yeah, but at levels that will damage other tissues. </rant> :)

4. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I don't cheat. The mindset of cheating wouldn't work for me. If one cheat meal is okay then two aren't that bad. If two aren't that bad well how about three. I'd slide down the slope pretty quickly.

OTOH I don't ban anything. I manage to shoe horn pizza,full fat cheese etc all into my diet. It's more about things like portion control for me.

5. KoNcEpT61

KoNcEpT61 Active Member

6. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Depends on how badly you want to achieve and exceed your goals. I've gone through periods of pure crappy eating with no exercise. Periods of exercising and watching calories, but being a "weekend warrior" and letting it fall apart every Saturday and Sunday, and periods where I stick to my diet, no cheating and miss no workouts. Guess which approach got the results I was looking for?

If your plan includes a structured cheat, go for it. If you set a plan without cheats, don't cheat at all.

7. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

Too true :(

this is my second round of getting fit, did it once with good success, but the first time I went through it I was completly anal about everything, nothing I craved was allowed, this time around I'm abit more casual about it, actually to casual at times, but trying to force myself to enjoy some of the stuff I like sometimes (like ben & jerry's icecream).

Still as long as the total in is less then my total out and I see progress I'm trying to stay positiv about it:p
    (Easter has been a black hole of calories for me so far, but I'we been more active with long walks and sort of sports with the kids to so I guess it's good).

8. madamert

madamert Well-Known Member

From your comments it sounds like you're not achieving your goals. Do you attribute this entirely to drinking? Are you otherwise entirely on track with your plan? Has your plan worked previously without the drinking?

I would be surprised if it was this one factor that was limiting your results.

9. sodomojo

sodomojo Active Member

I'm with you on this. I have to be 100% when I am cutting. I can't have just a cheat here and there. I'm like JS, all or nothing. Here's a great article on going all out:

http://seanhyson.com/blog/you-need-to-be-obsessed

10. oxalic

oxalic Active Member

How about it gets you drunk?

I'm not saying alcohol is healthy or part of a good diet. Just saying i enjoy drinking.

Lately i haven't been cheating at all. had a few cheat days awhile back and i don't miss a lot of the foods i used to eat.

The one thing i still enjoy is pasta with a nice sauce. Alot of sauces are way too rich for a real diet though.

11. CharlesDance

CharlesDance Member

I understand your cravings. I'm 24, my fiance and all our best friends live in a college down, and we love to go out , or have cookouts and drink. As bad as it sounds, its a great social activity as long as its not recklessly done. It's definitely something I would rather expel my calories on (besides a heaping pile of nachos from Moe's southwest grill), however I've made a concious effort to stop for now.

I just started training with Mastover , and given his background and how long he's gone without drinking, I feel stupid to talk about how much I wanna have some beers or something lol.

However, as young folks, I definitely understand the desire. I'm a huge fan of mixology and trying great micro brew beers, so I enjoy it almost on a culinary level. However, its probably some of the most destructive substances in terms of aesthetics and physique, that you can put in your body for several reasons:

1. As others stated above, it has zero nutritional value. (I know wine has antioxidants, but that's from the grape juice, not the alcohol in the wine). There are no macronutrients that can be added to your totals for the day. All the calories are empty, so there's no use for them. At least with some really shitty fast food or something, your body could at least somewhat utilize the nutrients found in the food.

2. It destroys testosterone levels in men, which is one of the most important anabolic cocktails your body can produce.

3. It has a high acidity, like diet sodas. Drinks high in acidity are terrible for your metabolism. It's been shown in studies that people who regularly drink diet sodas are 40% more likely to develop metabolic syndrome

So basically in a nutshell, they are your physique's worst nightmare LOL. Which blows, because I agree, alot of times I just wanna go out with my friends and put down a case of beer or whip up some gin and tonics.

12. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I have a re-feed day every 3-4 weeks which I don't consider a cheat. My re-feeds are really lame compared to some, but if I don't do it, I turn into a total bear and annoy everybody around me with saying things like " I could gnaw my arms off!" while I'm walking around the grocery store or some other inappropiate place where spoken words of cannibalism is not appreciated.

Anything beyond the re-feed means that my calories have gotten too low and needs to be dealt with pronto.

13. monkeynutz

monkeynutz Active Member

Can someone explain a "cheat" meal/day?

I don't follow a strict diet on Saturday's and eat foods I wouldn't the rest of the week. But I usually still keep my calories at a deficit for the day. Is that a cheat day?

14. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

I haven't been cheating because I really want to lose this weight. BUT, I just got back from a camping trip for 5 days where I ate VERY cleanly and stuck to a very strict diet and lost about 2 lbs (or finally the 2 lbs loss caught up with me). Today is my first full day back. I'm eating a bit more than usual while vegging in front of my computer watching old TV shows. I'm considering this a re-feed.

15. Mikeman

Mikeman Well-Known Member

Depends on what you mean by "cheat"...

On a daily basis I eat things like Skinny Cow Waffle cones(150 cal), 1/2 cup of Ben&Jerry's(300cal), Red Velvet cupcakes(330 cals) and even pizza...a lot of people would consider that "cheating", but as long as you're in a deficit, there's no reason you can't fit those in.

One thing though is eating like this, you don't get any crazy cravings to eat WAYY over your maintenance, which is something I would consider a "cheat".