1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How much weight could this floor structure support? attached a pic

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by jkmin, Jul 14, 2012.

1. jkmin

jkmin Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have a small room (10x13) in the first floor of my house.
    I wanted to place Titan T1 or T2 in this room, but I'm doubting about whether the structure of the floor can support the Titan equipments and other weights.
    I've tried to contact some engineers and they gave me quotes which are almost from $250 to $450.
    I think that $250 is much more expensive than I expected. So, before having the engineer take a look at the structure of the floor, I would like to get any advice from you about whether there is any hope that I can put the Titan in this room on this structure.
    If this structure totally cannot support, I will give up the titan and might buy a couple of cardio machines.

I took this photo in the crawl space. One side of this room is the front wall of the house (with a big window) and another side is the garage.
    Right below the position of 1/3 of the room from the front wall of the house, I can see that thick wood is placed across the parallel wood support.

It's hard to explain about the structure with my poor English, and photos were taken very dark. Sorry about that.

If you have any knowledge on house structure, please give me any advice. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      99.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      80.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      63.4 KB
      Views:
    #1 jkmin, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  2. Andrew Ward

Andrew Ward Member

I'm an architect, not a structural engineer, but I can tell you this much: no one can answer to your question without knowing the dimensions and spacing of those beams, or the weight and footprint (load distribution) of the equipment you plan to install. You should also be aware that structural engineers are as a rule extremely conservative in their estimates due to the legal liability attached to any professional advice they may give. This means that even IF the existing floor structure is strong enough to accommodate the added weight of the equipment, an engineer may want to err on the side of caution and tell you that it isn't.

kglover likes this.
  3. jkmin

jkmin Well-Known Member

Thanks. I gave up the Titan after all though :(
    I got very positive answers from people in bodybuilding.com by putting other floor plans, but I decided to put a rowing machine and some dumbbells.