1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How much does the bar weigh?

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by mike45, Jun 24, 2005.

1. mike45

mike45 Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a barbell with plates and 2 smaller dumbell bars (which can have weights attached to them as well) The whole set was sold as a 110 pound set. I couldn't find it on the website, but here is my question....

The weight plates add up to 85 pounds. Does this mean that the long barbell is 25 pounds which would make the 110 pound set? Or does the 110 pounds include the dumbell bars? (maybe they are 5 lbs each and the bar is 15 lbs?) I'd never seen a bench press barbell as light as 15 lbs....but I could be wrong.

I hope my question is easily understood. :d_smile:

2. RoyPardo

RoyPardo Well-Known Member

as far as i know, the olympic bar is 22 kgs (the ones you usually find in gyms for bench press and squating) but then again, in my gym we have 18,20, and 22 kg...

I had a cheap "set" i bought in wallmart, the bar was 20 pounds... i asume its similar to yours

3. freddyaudiophile

freddyaudiophile Well-Known Member

Do you have a weigh scale? If so, hop on it and weigh yourself, noting the weight. Then, with bar in hand, hop back onto the weigh scale. Subtract the two and you are off to the races.

I do this whenever I get a new bar, handle, etc.

freddy

4. mike45

mike45 Well-Known Member

Thanks....I can't believe I didn't think of this.... :lol: