1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How much cardio do you do?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by J_W, Apr 29, 2007.

1. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I was curious as to how much cardio the women around here do on a cut. I was under the impression that men, in general, can get away with doing less cardio to get results than women can. Is that true from your experience?

2. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I used to do an hour of cardio everyday, but I started having problems with lack of energy so I've gone from 6 days to 3. I lift M-W-F, cardio is done T-TH-S. I'm glad I made the change as both my cardio and lifting routines are going to change drastically at the end of the week. I'm going to need all the energy I can get for both.

As for guys and losing weight, they have more testosterone than we do so that's why they can usually lose weight quicker than women. This is not to say that they shouldn't do cardio anyway as it's still good for their hearts, but some of them are against it for one reason or another.

3. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Clean diet and weight training allows me to be quite lean (about 15-17% bf), I dont even do cardio all year round.
    It depends on the body type, though. I'm naturally lean and I have pretty fast metabolism.
    I started cardio 8 weeks prior to my competition for which I have to be very lean.
    Now I do 45 minutes of cardio a day. It is pretty extreme though (considering I do weight train 4 x week), so my diet must me in check. I make sure that I get enough protein and carbs.
    For me cardio is good to be used for a short period of time, to lose the last 5-8 lb.

How is your diet/nutrition?
    Do you weight train? Details please :)O

It goes this way
    Nutrition -> Weight Training -> Cardio

4. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

I'm 5'8.5, 149.6 lbs.

I do cardio Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday. Depending on what I feel like doing, I either do fasted LISS for 45 mins or non-fasted HISS for 20 mins followed by 20 mins of LISS.

On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do weights. I always alternate upper body/lower body and I do the BFL pyramid style training where you do 12 reps/10 reps/8 reps/6 reps, increasing your weight each time, and then lower the weight and do 12 reps, followed immediately by another 12 reps of a different exercise for the same body part. The last set I go to near failure.

Upper body (in this sequence):
    Chest: assisted dips/bench press
    Back: assisted wide-grip pullups/seated cable row
    Shoulders: DB shoulder press/lateral raise
    Triceps: cable triceps extension/seated DB triceps extension
    Biceps: cable biceps curl/hammer curl

Lower body/abs:
    Quads/glutes: walking lunges/leg extensions
    Hams: SL-deadlifts/lying leg curl
    Calves: standing heel raises/seated calf raises
    Abs: weighted crunches/oblique floor crunches

Diet looks something like this.

Breakfast is always the same:
    250 g low fat quark (cottage cheese type of thing) with pineapple, 1/2 grapefruit, 2-3 tbsp oats and 1-2 tbsp of wheat bran.

On weight training days I'll have a shake immediately post-workout, consisting of 1 tbsp protein powder and 2 tbsp dextrose. On cardio days I don't have protein shakes, I usually just have 1-2 pieces of fruit mid-morning.

I'll usually have a tortilla wrap with either chicken breast or tuna salad (made with low fat yogurt, no mayo) for lunch, or just tuna salad without the wrap and carrots or another type of vegetable. I'll have fruit and hardboiled eggs or fruit and almonds for a mid-afternoon meal.

For dinner I'll either have fish or chicken with green beans or broccoli and sometimes brown rice.

Before bed I always have cottage cheese with almonds and ground flax seed.

Basically, I try not to have fat and carbs in the same meal and I limit my fat intake to the evenings and most of my carbs to breakfast and around my workouts, aside from fruit, that is.

I've also started cycling my calories, but since I try to get at least 40-50 g of fat (good fat, mostly!) and at least 120 g of protein, I wind up cycling my carbs more than anything else. Those carbs come from oats, fruit and veggies and the occasional flour tortilla (and it's not even whole wheat, but I can't get those here - I don't really care, either :D).

This is my calorie intake for the week. It works out to be an average intake of about 1660 cals/day. High calorie days are on weight days, as you can see.
    Sunday: 1329
    Monday: 1828
    Tuesday: 1208
    Wednesday: 1994
    Thursday: 1495
    Friday: 2160
    Saturday: 1661

I've been making progress with this routine and with my diet, so I'm not really looking for help. I was just curious about how others go about it. I think that if I upped my cardio I would also need to up my calories a little. I don't really want to be any stricter about my diet, because I like what I've been eating and I don't want to diminish my enjoyment of my food just because it might not be absolutely perfect. I understand that people who are training for a competition like you, Maya, need to be stricter about their diet, but that's not really my goal, so I'm not that concerned about it.

#4 J_W, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  5. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

No wonder you are seeing progress.... looks like you are doing the right thing :D

Personally I think as long as you're seeing progress you shouldnt change anything.
    Maybe raise your fat just a little

Your weight seems pretty good for your height. How much more weight are you trying to lose?
    What is your long term goal? Just curious.

(I also cycle carbs and calories, and i dont mix fats and carbs. Works very good. :tu:)

6. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip! How much fat do you recommend?

Unfortunately I still have fat to lose around my midsection and my hips, butt and thighs. As with most women, those are my trouble spots :D. I suppose that means I'll just cut until I'm reasonably happy with how I look. I lost a bunch of fat on my back, my arms and my chest (go figure). I don't really want to go below 140 lbs. If by then I don't like what I see I'll just have bulk a little I guess in order to get more muscle mass.

My long term goal is to achieve a look I'm happy with and then maintain that, which probably means BF of around 18 %, but I honestly couldn't say. At the same time, I want to have an active lifestyle that includes a lot of sports like biking, hiking and swimming. The ability to do those things, have fun doing them, and get better at doing them is my goal, I suppose. I'll definitely stick with weight lifting since it's something I enjoy tremendously and, obviously, I'm going to stick with clean eating.

And let me just say, here, that your progress has been really inspiring to me. You look fantastic in your pics and have done such a great job, I truly admire that.

7. Drew0017

Drew0017 Active Member

3-4x per week, 20 minutes

8. Falhurk

Falhurk Well-Known Member

Hmm, if Drew will post here, then I don't mind posting here (wasn't sure if guys posted in the girls forums lol.)

Anyways, I do craptons, some out of necessity, some out of fun. Most of it is light cardio though.

I do:

1-2 hours /day walking at a fairly fast speed, just under jog.
    Usually 1 hour of swimming, though sometimes it can be 1.5-2 as well.
    30 minutes of elliptical, pretty tough intensity.

I try to do it every day. So far, so good.

If I have the energy/desire, I'll rollerblade around some. Though, thinking about converting my walks to rollerblading :D

9. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

While I did ask how much cardio the women who participate on these boards do, the guys are more than welcome to join the discussion :).

10. Drew0017

Drew0017 Active Member

Oh wow I didn't even look at the forum before I posted! haha sorry guys!

11. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

LMAO! Guys are allowed to post on here. We gals just need a place of our own to have girl talk when deemed necessary, that's all.

12. Fet

Fet Active Member

When I'm cutting I do 2 HIIT's and 2-40min SS cardio's per week. May one extra, but not often.

When I'm bulking, maybe 2 SS tops.

13. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Today I did HIIT. I nearly died, but it was awesome! :D I'm not sure what my highest heart rate was because I wasn't wearing a heart rate monitor and the handgrip pulse measurement on the elliptical just didn't work anymore once I hit 185 bpm. I think I'm going to start incorporating HIIT into my routine.

14. mattback

mattback Active Member

I run 3 miles every friday / saturday / sunday with my mom. (she's 53)

it takes us about 35 minutes or so, but my mom can still crank out a 27-28 minute 5k when she needs to.

My mom tries to do cardio 4 days a week, I do cardio 6-7 days a week.

i do more cardio then almost any other guys that i know.

I lift 5-6 days a week.

yes, i'm crazy.

15. Barber

Barber Well-Known Member

I do 5-6 miles daily in the morning 4-5 days/week at 70-90%MHR.
    I lift 4-5 days/week.
    I sometimes mix in HIIT+LISS combo on non-weighttraining days.
    I also sometimes do these circuit training type "cardio" classes.
    And, finally, I walk and back from work/school (approximately 60-90minutes/day).

Every few weeks, i'll decrease the duration of the runs but still run 4-5 days/week (3-4 miles).
    And, every couples months, i'll drop running altogether for a week or so.

And, yes, i take caffeine pills, drink butt-load of coffee, and drink a lot of green tea.

16. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

I usually just pop in the womens section from time to time to see if your having any virtual naked pillow fights or anything of that nature, but since all the other guys are chiming in....
    Cause cardio is about as much fun as watching white paint dry on a wall. I have nothing against it, if its your thing then all the power to you, I just found I could get wanted results (so far) with diet and weight training alone.

I just weight train 4 times a week, keep the intensity up and rest down (more then a minute in the gym without lifting something and I fail).

Chris.

17. optheta

optheta Active Member

LIfting days I do 10 min of HIIT 4mph 1 min walk then sprint to 8-9 for 30sec.

Off days I do 20 min HIIT 4mph 1min walk then sprint for 30sec 8mph.

18. Falhurk

Falhurk Well-Known Member

Personally I find cardio easier to get myself through than the weight training. Though, I do both for maximum-awesomeness (the medical term of course).

I don't doubt that one could get great results just weight training. I'm just not sure I understand why one wouldn't do both.

Depends on your goal too.. I imagine too much cardio would be counter-productive to bulking up.

19. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

You are odd:confused:

Personally I still enjoy every single weight training session I do, I don't have to drag myself to them, if anything I have to drag myself away from them. In 6 months I believe I have only missed 1 weight lifting session because I didn't feel like going (I was tired or had something else to do). I took a rest week and decided to do cardio in place of my weight training that week... I only made it 2 days before I didn't want to go back and I bailed out and didn't go the rest of the week.

I have always been a firm believer that whether its "optimal" or not, the best thing to do is that which you can stick to. Setting yourself up for failure just results in a domino effect of failure and thats never good.

Sooo..... since I love weight training so much, and its much better then nothing.... thats what I do, I succeed at it every day and that feeling of goodness from succeeding makes me succeed more! :D

Chris.

20. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

I guess I'm lucky in that I enjoy lifting and cardio, though I do prefer the feeling I get after weights or high intensity cardio workouts to the feeling I get from LISS. I feel like I've done some serious work and that's exhilarating. But a long bike ride at about 60 % of my HRmax or a long hike is fun, too, provided it's outside. I would die of boredom if I had to do 2 hours on the exercise bike at the gym.