1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How much can you ladies curl?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by woeisemma, Feb 4, 2004.

1. woeisemma

woeisemma Well-Known Member

The most I can do is 40 lbs with both arms for the last 6 max reps. My max for other upper body parts is around 80-90 lbs. What can you ladies do? :flex:

2. Destiny

Destiny Well-Known Member

Wow! 40 ls is pretty impressive! I have never tried weights heavier than 5 lbs and I am looking to get a set of dumbbells. I want to get really toned without bulking up (which I know is unlikely for girls anyway) What do you suggest using? I was thinking no heavier than 20 lbs but I am really not familiar with what women should use. You sound more experienced. Should I be using the same amount consistently? Or do a several of reps with various weights? Right now I am working on lowering my bodyfat percentage but will be purchasing a bench and some weights very soon. :bb:

3. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

I can curl between 30 and 40 lbs. I used two 15 LB dumbells-because the barbell alone weighs 45 lbs and that is too heavy for me. I'm think 35lbs is probably my limit. The two 20lb. dumbells are just a bit too heavy too-

4. woeisemma

I do 12 reps 50-60% effort, 10 reps 70%, 8 reps 80% 6 reps 90-100%, 24 reps 50-60% effort. This works for me but I dont know enough about weight lifting to tell you what you should do. I am no where near toned, I am just a strong girl :) When I began lifting I could hardly curl 10 pounds. I haven't lifted weights since November so I am amazed at the strength I kept w/out lifting for almost 3 months. I have pix on my webpage and you can tell I'm not toned. I would love to get toned, but I've only been lifting for a week. Once I figure out how to get toned, I'll let you know!

5. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

6. JetGirl

JetGirl Well-Known Member

I can do 40lbs, two 20lb weights in each hand. Tough though, but challenging - which I like. :D

7. Destiny

Destiny Well-Known Member

8. kirby

kirby Well-Known Member

Yay! Fun topic for me b/c I recently increased my weight here. My "max" (I haven't actually checked it) is 20 lbs - dumbell curls. I usually do 8-12 reps, but then for hammer curls I'm between 15 and 17.5lbs.

Kirby :db:

9. woeisemma

Woohoo

Today I curled 50 lbs!

10. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

:tucool: Good work!! :)

11. BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Well-Known Member

I curl approx 40lbs too (approx 'cos i gotta convert it from kg's) using an ezy bar but only do 2 sets of 12-15 reps, supersetted with triceps.

12. Danielle

Danielle Well-Known Member

When I first started, I too struggled to curl 10lbs in each hand...now, I am curling 20lbs each hand max. Very challenging but ... ouch..oh so good! :tucool:

13. Fitgurl

Fitgurl Well-Known Member

I'm most impressed with you ladies! I can curl about 25lbs dumbbell curls! Still have quite some ways to go to reach 50lbs! haha You're a machine!

14. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

I moved up from 40 to 45 lbs. on my barbell curls the other day. I barely did three sets of 6-8. I have my sights set on 50, but it will definitely take some work to get there. Good job!