1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How many women can do pullups?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Magoo, Jul 10, 2007.

1. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

While working your way up on the Lat Pulldown Bar (if that's the route you choose to go) you might want to try "combo" pulldowns.

These mimic the sternum pull-up to some degree.

And you can do them palms-facing or palms-away.

Wide or Close-Grip..

Begin the pulldown until the bar is about level with your forehead, back absolutely vertical.

As you go past your forehead on the way down, lean back to quite a degree and bring the bar right down.

One fluid motion, not two.

As the bar goes back up, reverse the situation...in one fluid controlled movement.

I'm a fan of Mastover's advice too...start weighting your pullups/chins at the earliest opportunity if you can.

Doesn't have to be a huge amount to start with. Hell...2lbs will do it.

2. Fet

Fet Active Member

*note to self: do NOT attempt sternum pullups the day after a really heavy ab day.*

I think I just popped a rib. :eek:

3. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Ouch! Yeah. :nod:

Hold a DB/medicine ball with your feet and curl your legs towards your stomach as you pull up and kill two birds with one stone.

Good luck with the rib. :tu:

4. Katastrophies

Katastrophies Active Member

I feel your pain, believe me.

I am currently working on my negatives and slowly but surely making progress, however, I still can't do one. But I'm getting there. I think your friends are thinking of chin-ups when they say they can do a couple. (Im sure others on here have already referenced that too). But keep trying! Im hoping to do ONE by the end of the year.

5. FBChick

FBChick Active Member

In my skinny hey days, I used to be able to knock out about 15 pullups. These days I've finally gotten light enough to get myself up once and that's about it.

I think this would be a great way to get started. Even if you can't get one full one yet.. try to get up as high as you can go before switching to the assisted.

6. Magoo

Magoo Active Member

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!

I took M@'s advice and tried to do one unassisted pullup -didn't get much altitude this time. But I tested the minimum assist I need and could do 1 (almost 2) with 22 lbs assist, none with 16lbs assist (the minimum on my machine). So you have convinced me that success is within sight... now I am determined!

#26 Magoo, Jul 13, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  7. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Sweet! :claplow:

8. Magoo

Magoo Active Member

still working on the pullups

Is there any reason I shouldn't do pullups every other day? (Not sure I know what counts as "overdoing it"... I don't really get sore).

I was thinking of doing alternating days of 3 sets of higher reps (last night did 10 reps with 40lb assist) and on then on alternate sessions use the least amount necessary to crank 1 or 2 out, then rest and do as many "sets" of 1 or 2 as I can. Does this make sense? I have been trying each day to do one from a dead hang but not much happens.

Also, I have been meaning to post a more general question about rest intervals on the newbie board, but if for instance I do what I propose above, then I can do 10reps with 40lbs assist for my first set, and then the number I can do for my second set completely depends on how long I've rested (not surprisingly, siince I am working to failure). Is it better to wait longer so that I can do close to 10 again, or shorter, even if I can only do 5? (I am sure the answer will be "it depends", but I am not sure what it depends upon...)

Again, many thanks for all the help and encouragement.

9. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I've used the "greasing the grove" concept to increase my chin reps. With that method, you do sub maximal reps multiple times a day.

So every other day would be great.