1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How many times can you bench your body weight?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by BJ, Jun 3, 2009.

1. BJ

BJ Active Member

I have been doing all of my lifting on machines at work during lunch (I know... I know... but it is what I have to work with right now).

So, I finally got a bench and olympic bar at home. I decided to load it down with my body weight (180#) and see how many reps I could do.

I only did one :o

I didn't realize how heavy that was going to be (and my wife was spotting me, so I didn't want to push it too hard).

That prompted me to wonder about all of you guys (and gals) out there who are already where I want to end up at one day...

How many body weight benches can you do? :bb:

(I figure it can give me a goal to work towards)

2. Slater

Slater Active Member

I shot for 3 sets of 8 this morning and got it, weighing in around 165 makes things a little easier though, but grats on the first step there for sure :D I know when I first tried doing my bodyweight it was complete fail .. it was brutal >.<

3. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

4. StevieD

StevieD Well-Known Member

15 @ 180lbs

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I used to be able to do around 13 to 15 @ 220.

I recall trying this out every so often because it happens to be the number the college football players use at Columbine when they see how many they can push.

Sadly, after my wrist ingury last august, I still can't hold a bar with that much on it, so I don't know what my max # would be now.

6. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think I could do 4 paused reps at 87.5kg. I have no idea unpaused - I haven't done any unpaused benching in a long time.

7. George

George Senior Member

Actually, they use 225 and it's called the combine, not Columbine. :)
    That's a good press, regardless or semantics. :p
    That really sucks. Have you tried wrapping it?

8. Narile

Narile Active Member

12 @ 150

9. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You know, I thought it was, and then I googled it, and it came up as columbine, which seemed very wrong to me. Well, I guess I was pressing 225, then, at 220 (at the time, I had a friend with whom I played football every week, and he thought it funny to know my stats on the press).

I haven't wrapped it yet. I'm currently just working to build it back. According to the doc, I wrecked everything in my wrist that you can wreck there (displaced the bones and tendons and everything). My range of motion is very limited, which does make it a little more difficult to stabilize. The surgery was in September, so there is still some healing left to go, and I'm making slow progress on supporting more weight.

I figure the wrapping will start when the natural progress ends. Right now, I want to force the hand to support what it can.

10. artizzztik

artizzztik Active Member

WHOA WHOA WHOA! You did... WHAT?!?

So you've just had your first free weight lesson, and luckily for you you didn't crack a rib. Keep this in mind from now on: with free weights, things are way heavier than the numbers would have you believe!

You just learned the hard way that free weights are a whole different ball game from machines. You have to stabilize the weight and it takes a TON more effort! Being able to do a body-weight bench press for reps is kind of a mini-milestone. It's something that most people have to invest time in to achieve.

If you want to continue to be humbled, try it again with DUMBBELLS! (Better yet, don't just yet - I'm kidding with you!)

The trick to free weights is to underestimate what you can lift by a pretty big degree, especially with benching and deadlifts or you can wind up in traction. You can always add weight to your next attempt, but possibly caving in your sternum or blowing out your back isn't worth it!

Don't mistake my tone - I'm not laughing at you. I'm just glad you weren't hurt!

11. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

While I have never actually gone all the way to failure....
    Last year I did 15 at 225 once...that was pretty close to as good as I could do at the time.

More importantly....how many times can you squat with your bodyweight on the bar? :D

12. BJ

BJ Active Member

:o :doh:

It wasn't that bad! I unracked it myself, so I would have known then if I couldn't have done it... but I appreciate your concern for my safety :nod:

13. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

50+ :nod:

14. Rise

Rise Active Member

good question... with dumbbells I can do 85x10, which is 15# more than I weigh (i'm 155# to save you the math). Bar? eh, i'm going to guess around 15-20 reps. I'll have to find out next week on chest day now :confused:

15. carddante

carddante Well-Known Member

225 x 4 on flat bench press (I remember when I could only bench 135 a couple of times on my final set. How far I've come :D)

As far as squats goes...225 is one of my warm up sets. I'd say at least 12-15 times.

How about deadlifting your body weight? 225 x 7-8

16. Rise

Rise Active Member

i think i could dead lift 155# 100x :lol: one of the advantages of being light.

17. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

Two of my goals this year are to get a BW bench press and a 2xBW Deadlift and the dealift goal is looking far more likely at the moment :nod:

18. fishtanker

fishtanker Active Member

I can do 215# 8-10x when i'm fresh

19. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

:dreamy:

20. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I can do the long sets, but I can't do the big weights I'd like to. My form starts to collapse :(