1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How many calories should I be eating?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by GatorDeb, Oct 6, 2010.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

5'4" female, 138.5 lbs, 30% body fat.

I need some advice regarding calories. For ratios I stick to 50/30/20. Fat comes mostly from nuts and eggs.

This is my second week since I started doing weights. I started on 7/3/09 at 215 lbs and got to 129.5 lbs last month. I have since then gone back up to 138.5 lbs (no idea why, that happened in a period of 2 weeks when I was doing 1K deficits per day before I started the lifting) and have stayed there.

I lift six times per week, 1 hour each. I work triceps/chest, back/abs/legs, shoulders/biceps, six exercises each, about five minutes per exercise, three sets, eight reps (I try to do really slow reps). I lift as heavy as I can without sacrificing form trying to go to failure on the last rep of the last set.

I do martial arts four hours a week for my cardio.

That's all the exercise I do. I'm trying to minimize cardio to keep muscle growth going.

I have the BodyBugg and I burn about 1800 calories at rest (I had issues with the subscription so I was BB-less for a week and a half but I have it back for tomorrow). So I calculated 200 calories burned while lifting (that's what I do when I DO have the BB) and 300 calories for an hour of martial arts, so on days I only lift that's 2000 calories + 400 surplus == 2400. On days with lift and martial arts 1800 + 200 + 300 + 400 = 2700. On days without either, 1800 + 400 = 2200, etc.

But I came upon a formula to get your lean body mass (mine's 98 lbs, 140 lbs with 30% body fat) and multiply by 17 if you do over six hours of exercise a week (I do 10) so that's 98*17 = 1666 calories + the surplus you want. Isn't 2066 too low?

So what do you think I should be aiming for calorie-wise? Thanks! =)

2. TheLemonSong

TheLemonSong Well-Known Member

First of all, sounds like some decent progress and sounds like you've thought things through quite a bit. Props for that.

Next, scale-weight can be decieving...better ways to determine success have to do with how you look, feel, and how clothes fit. So I'd avoid putting too much stock in the scale, and focus on other ways of measuring progress. The same thing happened to my roommate...worked out a lot, ate right, and gained a few pounds, but he looked a lot more fit. Weight also fluctuates throughout the day and from day-to-day, so dont' worry too much that you haven't lost weight (my guess is you probably have anyway).

I'm assuming you're cutting.
    How long have you been on the routine you're on now? How has it worked out?

Also, you should note that more calories get burned *after* your lifting sessions than they do *during* the sessions.
    So while the way you added everything up seems right, in reality it might be different. It's also tough to determine how many calories you actually burn in any given workout.

Have you tried something like 2000-2500calories? How have things worked out?
    It's hard to give a blanket number...the true test is success and your body's feedback...

3. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Your body bugg doesn't track your metabolism, so if you base your calories on what it says, you can't guarantee fat loss or maintenance or whatever you're after.

2066 isn't too low.

I usually take 15X my target weight in pounds to estimate a reasonable caloric intake. Because anything more specific than that needs to be tweaked depending on how my body responds to it, and what happens to the scale weight, not on how much exercise I'm doing, or what any measuring devices or formulaic calculations tell me I should be eating.

4. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

I don't want to cut, I want to bulk. With the BB it says I burn 1800-2100 calories a day depending on the day at rest and then in a lifting session I do about 200 and martial arts 200-350. So if I do both it'll say something llike 2600 and then I add 300-400 calories to that, so if I don't do anything I eat 2400-2500 and if I do both I eat 2900-3000, depending on what I burned that day.

It says that for building mass I should be eating about 2000 calories on a day I do both and I just find that hard to believe. It takes about that just to fuel ME.