1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How many calories a day?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by dustincarter19, Jun 2, 2011.

1. dustincarter19

dustincarter19 Active Member

I was wondering if you could give me some tips on about how many calories a day to consume? I am 25 (26 on the 19th), 5'9", 172 lbs. I just started back in the gym and want to lose this belly fat more than anything. My current abdominal measurement is 35.5" and that is where almost all of my fat is. You can view my other posts and look at my journal to see more specific measurements and photos. Some websites like fat secret and dailyburn.com are telling me about 2200 a day. I feel like this seems like a lot.

2. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Read the beginner's sticky in this link http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=45975 that is entitled "My guide to nutrition for weight loss" and the sticky entitled "GravityHomer's Fat Loss Guide". The first has a formula you can use to see if that target is right for you. Both have a ton of good information for fat loss.

Good luck!

JB

3. dustincarter19

I have figured out my BMR=2425 and my caloric goal is 1425 which works out to 6 small meals of 237. I am going to try and do the 50/30/20 Carb/Protein/Fat

4. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Well-Known Member

1425 sounds pretty low to me for a young man working out. I would monitor weight loss and make sure you're not going over 2lbs/week after the initial couple weeks. If you're going to be on a diet with so few calories and use such a high carb macro, I believe you're almost certain to lose muscle.

5. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

I have to agree. From my personal experience, you'll have more energy, feel better and get better workouts if you bump your calories up a bit. I would suggest adding 500 calories and go for a pound a week. Nice steady progress. If it seems like a lot of food, switch your macros to 40/40/20. Garbs are always easier to find in fruit if you're a little short. Adding protein when you fall shot can be.more tricky.

Whatever you decide, make sure to track results a few ways and adjust your plan as neccessary. Good luck!

6. dustincarter19

Thanks guys

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

7. burntmatch2003

burntmatch2003 Active Member

I agree with everyone else. When I got back in the gym a few months ago I drastically cut calories in an effort to lose weight, and while the weight practically fell off a lot of muscle was lost, and I had to spend a while adding calories back in to try and prevent further muscle loss. It's very tempting to try and cut calories to lose weight fast, but you'll be happier in the long run doing it the other way. :gl:

8. Vorschtuff

Vorschtuff Member

Are you sure 2400 calories is right for your BMR? If you, for instance, lift three times a week plus cardio, your BMR should be over 2800.

9. That_Muscle_Guy

From my personal experience you cannot use any generic calorie intake calculators to judge what your calorie intake should be. These things are not made for your body specifically so there is no way that they can give you the exact number of calories you should be taking in to lose weight.

I've used calculators that told me I must eat 2600 calories to maintain my weight and I know for fact that if I eat that much food that I will gain weight instead of maintaining what I have.

The only way to really find out all many calories you must take in is to just play with your intake. Just move it up and down from week to week to find the sweet spot in which you should be losing no more than 2 pounds a week, anymore you will be losing muscle.