1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

how long does it take to go from 20% to 10% BF?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by jmike, Mar 25, 2012.

1. jmike

jmike Active Member

in general

with:
    mediocre diet (not great - but not horrible)
    good exercise
    solid muscle base

Male
    33 y/o
    5'11"
    215 pounds @ 18-20% BF

i am just trying to get a general idea of what kind of time frame i am looking at.

i am going to say the diet will probably be mediocre. i should be able to "roughly" hit a calorie count -- but i am very doubtful of my ability to hit a macro just because of where i am and the options that are available to me.

2. user786

user786 Active Member

The answer will depend on individual circumstances if we have a look at some one who has
    excellent diet and training and retains almost all lean mass then:-

215 @ 20 % = 42 fat 173 lean water bone
    190 @ 10 = 19 fat 171 lean water bone
    need to lose approximately 23lbs fat (i think my maths is correct!!)

1.5bls a week should be doable in approx 16 weeks . (having the diet keyed in gets more
    important the leaner you get )

mediocre diet maybe 20 ish weeks?? (again depends on training and how much lean mass you retain).

3. user786

user786 Active Member

you should try to get a reasonable level of protein in if you can . Also
    keep your lifts low volume and as heavy as you can to help retain your lean mass .

4. wwwolf

wwwolf Member

It depends on what you are doing.
    At 215/20% you're looking at losing about 22 pounds. At a reasonable but disciplined 2 pounds a week loss, that's 11 weeks. If you are looser with things, double the time.

That said, if you're really at 20% body fat, you would be be at 172 lean body mass, which is really quite muscular. Are you sure of that BF %?

5. jmike

jmike Active Member

i got body fat calipers - i measure 3 places - the reading tells me 18.5% .... i am sure there are more accurate ways to do it and that i am probably closer to 20% than 18.

i am not certain that i am at that percent -- but i think i am fairly close.

6. jmike

jmike Active Member

good advice :) thank you

after months of searching - i finally found a protein powder that is tolerable -- the food out here is not that great -- but now that i have protein powder that i will drink -- i get about 88g of protein from it (2 scoops twice a day -- morning and post-workout)

7. jmike

jmike Active Member

8. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

That assumes he loses nothing but fat. Not going to happen. There will be some water and muscle loss to.

What does this mean "mediocre diet"?

9. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

Several months with the "roughly" calorie intake. I believe strongly that you can get from 20% to 10% with only moderate exercise and not paying much attention to macro levels as long as your calories are very diligently in check. Food is the most important thing here, nothing else. If you're travelling or at the behest of others' cooking as many are, you can still control calorie levels and it's critical, especially as you get down toward that 10% goal.

If you instead made this priority #1 and really went balls to the wall with it you could hit 10% in 60 days give or take.

That said...

I see in your other thread you said 28% and that is closer to your true BF% than 18-20, I am sure of this. If you truly tackle this with a fire inside, no cheat days no slacking off and complete conviction you could hit 10% in 90-120 days IMO. You do have some muscle, so at 10% you'd look unbelievably transformed. It's sticking with that ruthless control of food for 3+ months that is the only thing stopping you and many (and me) from reaching the goal.

10. jmike

jmike Active Member

i am in afghanistan -- so i do not have much control over how things are cooked. i can pick what "appears" to be the healthiest food .. but i really have no way of knowing

my options are really limited out here

11. jmike

jmike Active Member

i thought i said closer to 20

last time i did a BF measurement - it said 18.5% -- at the time i weighed 212 -- i still have roughly the same muscle mass

gym time is not problem -- managing food intake and calorie intake will be difficult

12. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

It's not so much about healthy but more about hitting calorie goals. Lower amounts of crappy food will still need to weight loss.

13. jmike

jmike Active Member

okay ... i think i have nailed down an exercise routine for cutting

a stripped down 5x5 with some high volume / low weight fully body exercises (cross fit concept -- metabolic conditioning)

6 week program

week A is on the left, week B on the right. (i.e. 5x5 flat bb bench is week A and 5x5 DB fly's is week B)

Monday - Chest and Tri's

5x5 Flat BB Bench -- 5x5 DB Fly's
    5x5 Incline Fly's -- 5x5 Incline BB Bench

5x5 Weighted Dips -- 5x5 Overhead Cable Tricep Extensions

met-con -- 5x10 cleans

Tuesday -- 1 hour low intensity eliptical

Wednesday - Back and Bi's

5x5 pullups
    5x5 bent over BB rows -- 5x5 seated rows
    5x5 EZ Curls -- 5x5 DB curls

met-con -- 5x10 deadlifts

Friday -- Shoulders and Abs

5x5 BB Press -- 5x5 Arnold Press
    5x5 DB Lateral Raise -- 5x5 Shrugs
    5x5 weighted crunches

met-con -- 5x10 Front Squats

Saturday -- 1 hour low intensity eliptical

14. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

:eek:

That is a lot of volume on a cut... be careful you don't condition yourself into the ground. :lol:

15. jmike

jmike Active Member

going to condition myself into a smaller pair of panties

really think it is too much?

16. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

I think you'll be able to judge that for yourself while the program is in progress better than I can judge from here. That said, yes. I think you're body and mind will tap out pretty quickly depending on how hard of a cut you are on nutritionally.

I know you have a great coach for the nutritional side of things, so if you want to workout like this... make sure your coach knows your plan and your actual activities along the way. He may decide to modify your intake based on your mood, energy and results.

Regardless of what I or anybody else advises...

you should do the workouts you like to do or else you won't stick with it. Nutrition can always be adjusted to fit what you need. Just be flexible in what you will do to get the results you want. ;)

I like panties. :tucool:

17. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

If the point is cutting you should be putting the effort into your diet.

You can't out work the fork.

For your workout pick something with challenging weights and continue to lift that way. If you get stuck then consider upping the workout.

18. jmike

jmike Active Member

i don't have much of a choice for what i eat ... the only thing i can control is how much of it that i do eat.

the only thing i have complete control over is my workout .. i can determine what, how much, and how often.

working out 3 times a week my BMR + activity should be at 3600 calories.

if i push it to 7 days a week --- 3 days lifting and 4 days cardio -- i might be able to push my BMR + activity to 4,000 calories a day.

all i would have to do is cut slightly on my diet. from around 3200 to 2500.

at least .. that is the theory i am working with.

19. wwwolf

wwwolf Member

I don't think you'll tap out with that workout. It depends on what you are doing the rest of the day, I guess.

The body can do a lot with little if you let it.
    I do: squats/legs + random upper body MWF, deads W, cycling around 12mph, 90 minutes per day six days per week.
    1800-2000 cals per day, 95% healthy food. cheat day on Saturday.
    So far I've dropped 2 pounds per week for the past 7 weeks.

If your goal is being big, this isn't the right advice. Personally, I'm trying to lose the Bluto look. My lifts aren't suffering though, weights keep going up.

20. jmike

jmike Active Member

trying to lose fat without losing muscle