1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How long does it take for lungs to recover...

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Infamix, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Infamix

Infamix Active Member

from smoking? I'm 17 years old and very active and I was active during my smoking phase. I smoked cigarettes on and off, I've probably smoked about 100 cigs my whole life, which isn't alot in comparison to the average smoker, but it's still bad. I've smoked a ton of bud for about 1 year but I've quit that too. How long do you think it will take for my lungs to recover, or do they never recover? Thanks in advanced....

2. BigIzz

BigIzz Active Member

To preface I'm no doctor but I don't think 100 cigarettes will have any long term impact. Cigarette smoke is most harmful because people expose their lungs to it frequently over very long periods of time. Seems like the marijuana may have been more harmful but you are very young and I wouldn't really worry about it. Again, generally problems related to smoking are caused over a very long period of time. Just keep clean from now on and I doubt you have any reason for concern.

3. Infamix

Infamix Active Member

Hey thanks BigIzz...you have me feeling better about my stupid mistakes.

4. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The increased cardiovascular risk is just about gone after ten years. The cancer risk goes down, but doesn't go all the way to never smoked. On the other hand, 100 cigarettes is not that big a deal. It will follow you around in insurance rates for about 10 years though.

5. Infamix

Infamix Active Member

Damn how will insurance know? Will the nicotine still be in my blood?

6. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

They don't test for nicotine. Your insurance will ask you when you sign up if you're a smoker.

I'm calling my best friend daily (unfortunately, he lives 40 miles away) to help him get off of cigarettes after smoking for almost 20 years. I've done some research and found that you should experience better lung function in as little as three months after quitting smoking, and near-complete recovery of lung function in less than a year. The longer you stay a non-smoker, the better you'll breathe - though these times are approximate and are greatly affected by where you live - smoking problems and the time it takes to heal can be compounded if you live at high altitudes or in dry, arid climates. Some studies claim that complete and total reversal of smoking damage takes up to 15 years.

Since you've only smoked a handful of packs of cigarettes in your life, I highly doubt you have to worry about any of this. Just stay away from smoking, okay? :tucool:

-R

7. Infamix

Infamix Active Member

Hey that's awesome that your helping your friend quit, it must be really tough for him after 20 years. Thanks for the advice, and I will most definitely stay away from smoking now. Btw, I thought I'd mention that the people on this forum are friendly and helpful compared to the other ones I've been on.