1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How long does creatine bloating last?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by hemburger, Apr 13, 2006.

1. hemburger

hemburger Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    I am just trying creatine monohydrate am feel I have bloated. My belly seems unusually large since I started taking it (3 days back). How long should I wait for my body to "adapt" to creatine? Will it?

My stats: Weigh 160 lbs, 6 ft tall
    Creatine intake: i tsp (~5 gms). First two days i took it pre-workout. Today, i had it PWO.

My calorie intake hasn't changed since I started taking creatine. In the gym, my workout seems to have improved in terms of freshness and lifting capacity gains.

Thanks for your response.
    Hemang.

2. WineHold

WineHold Well-Known Member

I'd like to know this as well. If the body doesn't adapt is there a (safe) supplement you can take in conjunction with creatine so it doesn't make you look like the Michelin Man?

Not to hijack your thread Hemang but I figure this was a similar question and I didn't want to post a new thread.

Thanks!

3. Buster

Buster Active Member

Without meaning to question your statement...are you sure your mind's not playing tricks on you?

From your post it seems like you've been taking 5mgs monohydrate powder for only 3 days? This is *no way* enough time to see the effects of creatine.

If you do a loading period (5mgs 4x a day) for 5 or 6 days, *then* you might see some difference in your body and/or gym performance. The way creatine works is, by supplementing, you build up the amount of creatine stored in your muscles over a period of time. If you're not loading, this can take up to 3 weeks.

Your body shouldn't *adapt* to creatine. One of the ways it works is by drawing more water to the muscles, so they appear more pumped, and your body will probably look smoother. That's just how it works. Once you stop taking it of course, your muscles will lose that swelling. Creatine works mainly by allowing your muscles to train harder whilst you have that extra creatine supply in the muscles.

PS - I took monohydrate powder for a while but saw absolutely no benefit. A few months ago, I started taking a shake with a creatine uptake system (Cyclone by Maximuscle). It contains dextrose, which creates an insulin spike and "forces" the uptake of creatine to the muscles. I've found it works much much better, I know a lot of friends who can vouch for the same thing too.

4. hemburger

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I am at the stage where I have lost some fat around my stomach (lost a pound on the scale). I can see the first two abs clearly and the frame for the rest below. However, since past 2 days, my stomach appears much smoother. I am kinda scared of undoing my work and gaining more fat. Hence, the question on creatine coz my diet hasn't changed and my calorie-intake is below maintenance.

5. hemburger

No probs WineHold. That's what this forum is for; so that we learn from each other. btw, I too am interested in the answer.