1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How important are carbs to a cut?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by aimforcute, Apr 23, 2011.

1. aimforcute

aimforcute Active Member

I have a hard time reaching my carb numbers so I was wondering what the general consensus was on this question:

Just how important are carbs to losing pure fat? Wouldn't undercutting carbs be beneficial (aka atkins techniques)?

Thoughts on this?

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I eat a fairly high carb diet and have never had any trouble dropping weight.

Others have the opposite experience.

You need to figure out what works for you.

One thing low carb will cause you to drop water weight. Don't confuse the scale with fat loss.

3. harry.michaels

harry.michaels Well-Known Member

It's different for different people. I struggle like hell to lose fat even when in a calorie deficit whenever my diet includes carbs (even super-clean low GI carbs like lentils and beans). After several attempts at losing fat with carbs in my diet, I dropped them and have been losing fat rapidly ever since.

4. huxald

huxald Well-Known Member

It depends on your insulin sensitivity/carb partitioning. Generally, the greater your adiposity, the more insulin resistant you can be. As far as how low can you go on carbs....well that depends on how high you want to keep your bmr. From what i have read, it seems your thyroid responds well to carbs, and thus prevents metabolic slow down. Are you using the same carb amounts for training and non-training days? You may want to try re-distribute your carbs so that they are higher on training days and lower on non-training days...see my signature for example.