1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

How healthy are scrambled eggs?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by wisedude, May 22, 2007.

1. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I agree it's still a good option, I just think a lot of people assume it's "free" and just spray larger amounts than they need.

My can even says "for fat free cooking", but lists "Olive Oil" as it's first ingredient. I think that's why they put 1/3 second as a serving side, though. Through the labeling laws rounding rules, they can still show it as 0 fat and calories, where if they put 1 second, they would have to show at least 5 calories and 1/2 g of fat.

For most stuff, I'll just use a splash or two of olive oil (or if cooking at higher heat, peanut oil). Sometimes butter.

As you know, fat is NOT the enemy. Just be reasonable.

2. AnonIMust

AnonIMust Well-Known Member

So i looked at my Pam can to discern what the serving size was there. MB, like you said, the nutrition facts show 1/3 second spray, so as to avoid any measurable calories. BUT, on the can, it also has a comparison table that shows a 1 second spray has the 7 calories that KT and I noted above.

What does this all mean?
    1) I have too much time on my hands.
    2) Pam would almot without denial be the lower fat, lower calorie choice for cooking scrambled eggs
    3) Butter rocks and tastes a million times better than Pam.

3. mattsesar

mattsesar Active Member

If you're really concerned about flavor, they make "butter flavored" non-stick sprays.

Personally I like to use Egg Beaters. Sure, it may cost a little more than your standard eggs but you get a lot more nutrients and very little cholesterol, plus you don't have to dirty-up dishes by pre-beating the eggs - just pour and scramble!

4. Queenie

Queenie Active Member

Yup, Pam is oil. But it's dispersed so finely that it doesn't add a lot of calories. To acheive that level of non-stick I usually need at least a tablespoon (or 3, or...) of olive oil.

A little Pam goes a long way.

5. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I would probably argue about the "lot more nutrients" argument. Egg yolks have lots of good stuff in there. Avoiding them completely all the time seems to me to be missing out (both in taste and nutrition). Plus, we're learning more and more than dietary cholesterol has much less effect on plasma cholesterol levels than was previously believed. Genetics and exercise seems to be more important than dietary intake.

I'm not saying to eat dozens of whole eggs a day, but one or two won't kill you :)