1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

How healthy are scrambled eggs?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by wisedude, May 22, 2007.

1. wisedude

wisedude Active Member

So basically I'm attempting to come up with something new I can have for breakfast each day. I currently have either cereal, waffles, or pancakes, all of which are terribly unhealthy and generally not filling. Since the only other thing I know how to make is scrambled eggs, I'm wondering how healthy they are. Were I to have each morning One whole egg and two whites, how healthy would that be? I'm unsure if the scrambling process somehow negatively impacts them. Thanks in advance for a response, and I'm glad to be a new member of this forum :)

2. Falhurk

Falhurk Well-Known Member

As far as I'm aware, an egg is an egg. You're supposed to cook them up (something to do with absorbing more of the nutrients when cooked), I imagine scrambled would be fine.

At least I hope so because I love scrambled eggs.

3. George

George Senior Member

Hi, Wisedude. Welcome to JSF! :)

Eggs are great. Scrambling them is fine as well. One whole egg and two whites isn't a whole lot of food, though. It's hard to comment as I don't know what the rest of your meals look like, but I think it would be perfectly fine if you ate double that (two whole eggs, six egg whites).

To add to that, some other good breakfast stuff:

Oats!
    Fruit
    Turkey Bacon
    Some people like Kashi Cereal

Hope that helps!

By the way, have you checked out the stickies at the top of the beginner's forum? There's a wealth of knowledge there that might help if you're just starting out.

4. PAF

PAF Well-Known Member

Mix in some onions and chopped parsley and you'll have something beautiful. You using butter or olive oil to fry it?

5. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I eat eggs all the time. They are an excellent source of protein.

However, my egg consumption is normally closer to 2 whole eggs+6 whites+1 oz 2% fat cheese+1 oz lean Canadian bacon+some veggies. With a serving of fruit of some kind :)

That's still only about 400 calories.

6. wisedude

wisedude Active Member

I generally use butter. Does that make it significantly less healthy? Also I guess I'll use some more eggs than that, haven't actually made scrambled in a long time so I forgot how many to use ;) Ahh and I forgot, I'm planning on using a single slice of american cheese 0_0

7. GDIHALO

GDIHALO Active Member

remember eggs are sort of like salad...fine in itself but be careful of the stuff that you put in with it! (cheese, oils, ham etc)

8. wisedude

wisedude Active Member

but is it a very safe bet that scrambled eggs with some cheese are significantly healthier than a bowl of sugar cereal and/or pancakes or waffles?

9. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Heh. Are you refering to my post? :D ;)

Actually, I think if you make wise choices with what you add, you're fine. I personally think people go a little overboard with fear of things like cheese and butter.

In my 1 oz 2% cheese and 1 oz Canadian bacon, I add 7 g of fat is all (6 g in the cheese, 1 g in the bacon). 12 g of protein.

It's all in moderation.

I have a good skillet that I can make eggs in without scorching with no oil/butter if I want (Calphalon Commercial anodized Non-Stick). I have a tendency to burn them if I'm not at home because I'm so used to not having to worry about it :D

10. GuerillaZen

GuerillaZen Active Member

I have a cheap skillet and I always dry scramble. You just have to watch over them. Can't get distracted by other things.

11. Queenie

Queenie Active Member

I don't do butter. A spray of Pam is sufficient in a non-stick skillet. Ham can be fine if it's nice and lean, certainly no worse than turkey bacon. I find that shredded fat free cheese tastes fine in this venue.

I like to use egg beaters as an excuse to put in lots and lots of veggies; onions, spinach, red bell peppers, mushrooms...you can vary it so it doesn't get too boring.

Plus, egg beaters is about the easiest possible thing in the world.

12. dluc

dluc Active Member

I also use Pam. I've been eating eggs everyday for as long as I can remember (ok not that long, but for at least a year now), and they remain one of those foods I haven't gotten sick of yet:eat: All I need is a little hot sauce with them.

13. megamoviejohn

megamoviejohn Well-Known Member

Sorry for a very stupid post. But how exactly do you make eggs... I've never made anything. We have eggs in the fridge, but I have no clue where to begin. :(

14. boLa8

boLa8 Active Member

well i get a bowl, break 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites, with a fork you mix it till its.. mixed i guess, goes all equaly orange.

Then in a pan put some olive oil so it doesnt stick to the pan(spoon should b enough) heat lightly then put the eggs in the pan, with the same fork(less washing up!) you shake it the same way in the pan, till its done(i like mine really done).

thats how i make them.. how many calories does 2eggs + 2 eggwhites have\

15. Rabid

Rabid Active Member

Scrambled eggs can be extremely healthy. If you are wanting to lose weight, you may want to eat mostly egg whites. Four eggs whites scrambled would only be about 80 calories and almost zero fat.

An egg has roughly 90 calories. 17-20 calories come from the egg white, the rest from the yolk. The yolk contains about 8 g fat and 2 g protein.

As an aside, if you are scrambling eggs, make sure you are using a low-calorie spray or the butter used to coat the pan will add an extra gob of fat to the meal.

16. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

"Low calorie sprays" always crack me up. It's basically oil in a can. The "low calorie" part is just the fact that you don't use much and the aeresol spreads it out for you effectively over a wider area than you can pour oil or melt butter over with a similar amount.

Look at the "serving" size. It's generally 1/4 or 1/3 a second of spray. Who actually does (or even physically can) do that? Most people spray quite a bit more than that to coat a pan.

Not saying they aren't good options, just don't assume you can use as much as you want.

17. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

If you like pancakes and you want to make something with eggs, how about protein pancakes?
    1 eeg
    few egg whites
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2- 3/4 cup of oats
    some Splanda

Blend well and fry with Pam

Excellent and very good for you!!

18. AnonIMust

AnonIMust Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm. I thought they were 1 second sprays, 7 cals. Easy to sprayt one second, hard to shave off 7 calories worth of butter. :)

(Butter rules, fwiw, but pam has it's place, as you said)

19. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

The can of Pam I have says 1/3 second...0 cals. .27 grams :lol:

Still, it's oil, alcohol, and soy lecithin. It has to have calories.

20. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

It does. I believe it is 7 calories per second.

It's definitely a much better option than butter or oil, in my experience though. I use it 2-3 times per day, and spray maybe 3 seconds. Of those 21 calories, I'd bet at least half don't touch the food I cook.

There really is no other better option anyway...