1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

how do you prepare your meals?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Jono, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

i am curious, how does everyone prepare there meals for the days ahead?

do you do a whole weeks worth of prep, or do it the night before.. or for two nights?

i prep usually the night before.. if i get more tupperware i may able to prep for a few extra day's meals

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I prepare two day's worth of food, so I cook every other day. I don't like pre-prepping food too far in advance because most of my recipes don't tend to keep well past the 2~3 day mark. My food tends to reheat poorly as it ages a bit, too. I prefer fresher food, so I find cooking every other day to be optimal.

Your best friend is those el-cheapo Zip-Lock storage bins. They're reusable indefinitely, and if you have toss one out, they're not cost-prohibitive to replace. We've been working with the same set, give or take a few replacements, for two years now.

-Roger

3. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

Chicken was on sale last week. Boneless skinless breast, $1.79lb. I cooked up about 20+lbs last Sunday, as well as 3.5lbs of extra lean ground beef in 5 oz. patties. Half of the chicken is in the freezer...I'll typically go through about 9-10lbs a week. I jumped back on my Beverly diet as of last week, which puts my caloric intake around 3000 or so cals per day I think. I hate to have to prepare food during my work week so this works well for me.

4. slush_puppy

slush_puppy Well-Known Member

I get all of my meat on Sunday and poach it that night. Then I refrigerate / freeze it and that works for the week. Then, every night I cook my whole wheat pasta for the next day and tupperware it along with the next day's meat. Oatmeal is easy enough to make on the spot, so I just keep a big tub of it at work.

5. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

I don't pre-cook things.

If I'm cooking up beef, I'll let it defrost in the fridge 24 hours before and then cook it when I'm about to eat it. I eat a fair amount of beef aswell (because its cheaper than chicken) so it works. Whatever comes with it, such as veg don't take long to cook either unless its potatoes.

It also doesn't take long to put a sandwhich toghether and for it to be healthy aswell, so I still don't need to prepare things, although I am looking to buy some plastic bins to prefere my chicken and tuna, onions lettuce tomatoes peppers and all sorts and have it ready (and cold :tu: ).

6. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

If I know I'm going to be pressed for time in the morning, I will make mine the night before and store it in the resealable dixie plastic containers. If I'm too tired/lazy the night before, I'll thaw it out at night and then get it prepared while I am showering/ironing.

jason

7. FionaMaeve

FionaMaeve Well-Known Member

Heh heh. I must be the worst, but this works for me.

I buy dozens of 2 serving cans of vegetables at a time along with cans of tuna, cans of chicken, and cans of Rotel.

When it's time to eat, I open a can of vegetables, dump it in a paper bowl, and heat it in the microwave for one minute.

For meat, I either eat a pack of tuna with lemon pepper and olive oil or I mix up some chicken and Rotel (the chicken yields about three servings, so some goes in the fridge for later). Everything is microwave and paper bowls. I really hate doing dishes.

Sometimes I go all out and actually heat up a minute steak in a skillet. :)

When I am less busy, I'll probably do more actual cooking.

8. JoeBiron

JoeBiron Well-Known Member

LOL Freemason. I do the same thing. Recently I've started buying the Starkist tuna packets that are lightly marinated. There's lemon, sweet and spicy, and a few other flavors. A packet of that and a can of peas, and I'm satisfied. Quick, cheap, and just the right macros. Coworkers laugh at me. I love it :)

9. causticmuse

causticmuse Well-Known Member

I usually spend about 2 hours or so prepping food on Sunday evening for the work week. I make one batch of 10 homemade nutrition bars to be used as midmeals, chop up enough spinach, tomatoes, and Romaine to make 5 salads, nuke 5 chicken portions (or mix up an oatmeal/tuna/yogurt/seasoning concoction) and toss them in with the salads, mix up a fresh batch of low-fat, sugar free Thai peanut butter dressing, and also cook up some other entree for dinners when my office isn't keeping us late and picking up the tab. I usually make my breakfast veggie omelette, oatmeal, and fruity workout shakes fresh daily, and my other snack meal tends to be no-cooking-required cottage cheese and fruit.

I'm a major tightwad, so when I run out of real Tupperware, I resort to those plastic soup tubs from Chinese restaurants and my huge collection of cottage cheese and yogurt containers.

- Maggie

10. nonono

nonono Well-Known Member

i do pretty much the same...

also rice cakes and pretzel rods make for easy on the go carbs.

11. TheLemonSong

TheLemonSong Well-Known Member

I tend to just use foods that are ready-made or need very little time.
    I'm not used to having a microwave (only had one for about 2 months) so I'm used to cooking everything. I like to come home from the gym, put a frozen chicken breast (I buy bags of it made by Tyson) and 3 red "B" potatoes on a piece of tin foil, pop it in the oven for 45 min. and while its cooking I take a shower...then when I'm all refreshed and such I chill for a few min. and my food is done!

I'm always multitasking when I cook, so I don't usually pre-prepare.

12. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Do you care to share your recipe for the homemade nutrition bars?

....please!? :eat:

13. Emilio

Emilio Well-Known Member

No real pre cooking here. I buy mixed leafy green salad bags at 2 or so at a time. I buy my salmon frozen and I prep chicken but don't cook it ahead of time(only trim fat/cut into pieces/maranaid). Only thing I can call precooking is my rice/tuna/corn mix I make and eat as a side (different seasonings depending on mood). The tuna can go in the microwave and comes out just fine. The chicken goes on the forman and is done quick. Meals take about 5-7min to cook so its no big deal to prepare them when its time to eat. I am a simple person so precooking would just increase the likely hood that I'd get too lazy and fall off the ball with it.

14. causticmuse

causticmuse Well-Known Member

I posted a bunch of no-bake homemade bar recipes (200-300 calories per serving, usually 40/40/20 ratio) in the following Recipe thread:

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=10791

The crispy treat, cheesecake, and strawberry breakfast crunch bars are all appallingly good. It's hard not to eat more than one, seriously. You would NEVER believe that you are eating a meal replacement bar, and the average cost is only $0.50-$0.75 or so apiece. The cheapest place I've found to find some of the low carb cereals used in the recipes is www.vitaglo.com, or you can substitute whatever low-carb cereals you have in your local stores.

Maggie