1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you measure your height?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Craig, May 5, 2004.

1. Craig

Craig Well-Known Member

Although it may sound like a silly question, I'm convinced that many people are not aware of their true height. I'm personally convinced that I'm measuring correctly by doing it bare foot stood against a wall and using something square off the wall to the top of my head.

In the past, I've heard people say that you should measure with footwear on as that is the height you are when out :confused:. Also, when some people quote their own height to me they appear to be way off. I measure 5'11" and someone might tell me they're 5'10" but I can clearly see that they're at least 2 or 3 inches shorter than me.

What's going on ?? Are people really measuring in shoes? are they measuring by putting their hand on their head they pulling it back to the wall incorrectly? or are they just guessing?

How many people here are 100% convinced that they have their correct stats and has anyone else come across these scenarios?

#1 Craig, May 5, 2004
    Last edited: May 5, 2004
  2. woodenkey

woodenkey Well-Known Member

I measure with my bare feet against a wall...mark off the top of my head (make sure it's parrallel to the ground...don't slant the measure). Yea I know what you mean by "I'm xx tall" when they're definately off! I think many people like to exaggerate when it comes to measuring things. ;)

3. Craig

Craig Well-Known Member

LOL :lol:

4. Knubb

Knubb Well-Known Member

Measure with footwear? Do people actually say that? Dumbest thing in a long time...

Are people who wear high heals taller than those with flat shoes? Seems kinda unfair, doesn't it?

Your height is how tall YOU are, not how tall you and your clothing are together. Kinda reminds me of the scene in "The Gods must be crazy" (not sure that's the original title...) where a little bushman boy places a piece of wood on his head to fool the hyena that he's actually taller than it is (to keep it from attacking, don't know if that really works).

Many guys shorter than 6' are ashamed of their height and will exaggerate since they believe that being taller will make them more manly, more attractive or whatever. Many tall girls do the opposite, give a smaller number in order to appear shorter and more feminine. It's sad really, but that's the way society works these days...

5. --D--

--D-- Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I'm 5'10" exactly (barefoot) and I've met a lot of other people who are 5'10" and yet obviously shorter than myself. :)

Your height and weight shouldn't include your clothes.

6. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Time and time again I clocked in at 5'9" then I shaved my head for swimming. I went to the doctor a while ago -- I have a little more than an inch of hair all around now -- and clocked in at 5'8". The woman did it very fast so she might not have been very precise, but regardless: watch out for hair poofage!

7. tan_pao_wei

tan_pao_wei Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's just humun error in measuring height which will result in +-3cm

8. Craig

Craig Well-Known Member

lol :lol: I'll have to get myself a beehive.

9. simon.karlsson

simon.karlsson Well-Known Member

police

I use the stats they gave me at the police office, not that I´m a con, but I hade to be meassured for my passport :p