1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Like The Snow?...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by HevyMetal, Dec 17, 2008.

1. dave82

dave82 Active Member

I live in Tx and I wish every Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter that Texas had skiing and LOTS of snow! My wife hates snow (she grew up in upstate NY and saw plenty) and I can't get enough. :D:D:D I'm planning a ski trip with friends for February and I can't wait!!!
    :spaz::spaz::spaz::spaz::spaz::spaz::spaz:

2. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Just east of Madison, WI. How much snow do you get up there on average?

3. Ectomorphic

Ectomorphic Active Member

How Do You Like The Snow?

Far away from me. :blank:

I hate being cold and snow and ice are the epitome of that. :blank:

4. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Pete5.....Usually we get a little smattering and it goes away in a couple of days......nothing drastic. (at sea level). The ski resorts at higher elevation usually get quite a bit more generally.

But this year, this month, this week it's coming down all the time it seems.

Have had highway closures, umpteen dozen accidents around and about (not me....others), really low temps (for us..... 11 to 12 degrees F).

I'm already sick of shovelling snow......:lol:

Reminds me of when I lived in Southern Ontario ( Canada).

I see others here are drooling with anticipation at the thought of the "white stuff" though.....:)

5. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

I like snow on CHRISTMAS and thats it!!! I think it looks pretty when it sticks to the tress or their huge giant snowflakes. BUT I could live without it. I hate wet, stinky boy snow pants, gloves covering all my heat vents, wet hats and boots thrown on the floor AND a dog that collects snow on her fur and tracks it throughout the house when she runs back in from doing her "duty" (thats currently my house right now infact...the kids went sledding)

WE"RE EXPECTING A FOOT OF SNOW TONIGHT:mad: They are already predicting NO school for tomorrow. That will make the kids home for 18 days:bang:

6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

WINTER STORM WARNING: MOTHER NATURE IS STRIKING SOUTHERN ONTARIO WITH THE SECOND IN A SERIES OF SIGNIFICANT SNOW STORMS. THE FIRST GAVE AROUND 10 CENTIMETRES TUESDAY NIGHT. THE SECOND ARRIVES ON FRIDAY. A DYNAMIC STORM IS NOW DEVELOPING OVER COLORADO AS EXPECTED AND WILL RACE CLOSE TO THE LOWER GREAT LAKES DURING THE DAY FRIDAY. HEAVY SNOW IS FORECAST TO BEGIN IN SOUTHWESTERN ONTARIO OVERNIGHT REACHING THE GREATER TORONTO REGION NEAR DAWN FRIDAY MORNING. SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 15 TO LOCALLY 20 CM ARE WIDELY EXPECTED ACROSS MUCH OF THE LOWER GREAT LAKES BY FRIDAY EVENING. STRONG NORTHEAST WINDS OF 40 GUSTING AT TIMES TO 60 KM/H WILL DEVELOP EARLY FRIDAY COMPOUNDING THE SEVERITY OF THE STORM GIVING NEAR WHITE-OUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES IN FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW. THE STORM WILL LIKELY HAVE AN EXTRA STING AROUND THE WEST END OF LAKE ONTARIO DUE TO THE POTENTIAL FOR A LAKE-ENHANCED HEAVY SNOW BAND WHICH MAY AFFECT LOCALES FROM OAKVILLE INTO TORONTO FOR A WHILE FRIDAY MORNING BEFORE SHIFTING TOWARDS HAMILTON AND NIAGARA. LOCAL ACCUMULATIONS NEAR THE WEST END OF THE LAKE MAY REACH 25 CM. THE FRIDAY MORNING RUSH HOUR IN AND AROUND THE GOLDEN HORSESHOE MAY NOT BE QUITE AS BAD AS EARLIER THOUGHT AS THE SNOW'S ARRIVAL MAY BE DELAYED BY AN HOUR OR TWO. THE ONLY CAVEAT IS THAT A LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND MAY GIVE SOME FLURRIES INITIALLY. HOWEVER..HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW THROUGHOUT THE DAY WILL LIKELY MAKE THE AFTERNOON COMMUTE PARTICULARLY DIFFICULT. CAUTION IS STRONGLY URGED FOR ANY OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES OR TRAVEL DURING THE DAY FRIDAY.

I think it loses its effectiveness when ALL of the letters are in caps.

A FOOT of snow might be worthy of all caps. 15-20 cm, not so much so. :nope:

Our cat tries to blast out the door whenever it's open for more than a couple of seconds :doh: He's made more successful escapes when the person coming in has been fiddling with the key in the lock, because then he's got a several second warning so that he can hover near the door to make a mad dash. My daughter had to chase him onto the road yesterday (twice!) to boot him back inside. :lol:

7. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

That storm is going to hit us first. A few schools already closed at 3 and it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that we won't have school tomorrow. 18 days for us as well.:)

8. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Yeah. They can only tell you it's the "storm of the century" so many times before you stop listening. :nono:

9. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

I'm in the minority but I'm a product of the environment I've grown up and lived in. I love the snow (wouldn't have it any other way). I like the cold too (and I can say that after a solid week of -32 -> -40C windchill). I personally wouldn't want to live anywhere that doesn't experience the seasons and that includes winter. I guess deep down, I enjoy toughing out cold winters because it comes with a certain amount of bragging rights....I haven't experienced the deep cold of the farthest north yet, but we've hit -40C and colder in the past (-41C ambient in '07...which is pretty much the temperature boogers freeze in your nose, apparently :rolleyes: ).

Cold I can deal with, you can always throw on more clothes....but in the heat, you can only strip down so far and then you're in trouble.

The secret is to not board yourself up. You have to get out and go sliding, skating, play hockey, skiing, snowmobiling, etc...I've even played snow golf and snow baseball before.

As for snowblowing...I do it but that's because of time constraints... after a solid snowfall it's a 2 hour job with the snowblower. Lighter snowfalls, I'll shovel but in general I don't have half a day to shovel. I have a pretty long driveway ( over 60 ft ).

#29 Gordo, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  10. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I finished shovelling my husband's half of the driveway about 1/2 an hour ago. It took me 30 minutes. But he just called and will be home in about 1/2 an hour. At the rate we're getting snow, we'll almost need to shovel again. :doh:

I'm not doing my half until tomorrow before I have to go to work. But I have a smaller "half" than him. He parks in the garage, so I need to shovel all the way to the end, a little more than two car lengths and one car width. I park on the driveway about midway between the road and the garage. So I have a little less than one car length and width to clear. :tucool:

My Mom's driveway could fit about six cars on it, so she pretty much needed a snowblower too. She moved into a condo in the fall though, so no worries this winter. :cool:

11. dkmahkee

dkmahkee Well-Known Member

what's snow?

all i saw when i was driving home yesterday was this

[​IMG]

:D

where did you hear that?!?!!? that's way off. the lowest they've been this month has been 36F. if Brownsville got to 0F, it would make headlines. their all time record low is 12F.

12. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

:nod:

It's 79 degrees and clear here. I think I might get some sun with the dogs before my workout, or wash the car. I haven't decided...

:spank:

All of you who are dealing with the snow and extreme cold right now (and don't love it) have my respect and sympathies. I have no idea how you do it.

13. dkmahkee

dkmahkee Well-Known Member

:curses:

we might be sunny but it's definitely winterish here. its only 54F outside! :cry:

(we need a shiver smiley)

14. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

I deal with it because I love it. :nod:

15. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

What!? We break out the t-shirts when it's 35F here.

16. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I called it yesterday. I yapped about the weather without watching the weather ahead of time. I watched it last night and we have a few snow storms that will be rolling in. The first of three decided to make an appearence starting this afternoon.

HevyMetal- This is for you!

[​IMG]

In my house hubby uses the snowblower as I don't know how. He won't be getting home until after 12:00 tonight ( if I don't convince him to come home sooner) so it will be dragged out because he has to be to work at 7:00 am tomorrow.

Waste of fuel or not, it's going to have to be used so he can get out of the driveway tomorrow morning.

17. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I just got home after driving in whiteout, blizzard like conditions. What normally takes me 20 minutes, turned into a 2 1/2 hour joy ride. To make matters even more fun, I had my windshield freeze over and I was peeking through a 2" space during the ride. I just called the gym here, and they are open but closing early. I told the girl, "DON'T CLOSE UP UNTIL I GET THERE!" I hate this weather. :(

18. cymbals

cymbals Active Member

Yeah here in upstate NY (Syracuse area) we're getting 1-1.5 " per hour. They say it will keep up until midnight and then let off, until late tommorow night when the next storm comes through. We will certainly have a white Christmas. :dreamy::dreamy::dreamy:

19. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Okay, I think I've had enough. Somebody can turn off the snow machine anytime now. It stopped for alittle while last night at around 11:30 pm and started back up again after 12:00.

[​IMG]

:quadzilla:

20. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Thanks Zilla....here's some of what we got so far (more on the way tonight)...

Attached Files: