1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you create a basic home gym?

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by paolo12345678910, Mar 23, 2008.

1. paolo12345678910

paolo12345678910 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, so I want to get the barest minimum equipment for squats, deadlifts and bench pressing. I don't have much right now, all I have is basically 50 pound dumbells and a pullup bar. So I'm looking for a nice sturdy and adjustable bench table thing, a good squat rack, and a solid bar and Olympic weights.

Can someone give me a few suggestions please? Also, what kind of weights should I get? I mean, I've seen some rubber looking weights that look sturdy and safe for flooring.

Bench:

Squat Rack:

Bar/Weights:

Thanks a lot.

2. Rabid

Rabid Active Member

Bench: Ironmaster Super Bench (or any heavy duty adjustable bench)

Squat Rack: Powertec Power Rack

Bar/Weights: Olympic Barbell Set (can get these for $100 from Dicks or Sports Authority.

Could get all three for under $600 if you shop around or consider used.

3. paolo12345678910

Yowza, I was thinking more on the lines of $250. :doh:
    I thought I saw sometime ago a bench with this nice rack that doubled for a Squat rack. It had hooks on both sides (one for bench pressing the other for squats), have any idea what that ones called?

4. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

I paid almost double that for my gear just because I live in the UK and everything is so expensive. Still, I don't regret it at all. Powertec rack and weights will last as long as you need them too. I'm already saving money seeing as I don't have stupidly expensive gym membership.

5. shannonlee

shannonlee Active Member

Look online at freecycle or craigslist to find second hand equipment at a deal to fit in your price range.

6. paolo12345678910

Sorry to hear that. Powertec does look pretty polished but I'm hoping to get everything for under $300. I'm definitely looking for used equipment. What do you (and others) think about Best Fitness? It looks decent to me, 300lbs limit, it comes with a bench and a squat/bench press rack, for around $130.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Fitness-BFOB10-Olympic-Bench/dp/B000XKHHMG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1206397298&sr=1-2

Thanks. I've never used craiglist before but I can see just buy browsing around that it's a gold mine!

7. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

How stable is the Powertec Power Rack?

8. paolo12345678910

So I looked around a bit and I've decided to get a Powertec power rack. It looks sturdy and is relatively cheap (Maybe below $300 used). It has built in dip and chin up bars too. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ150A7bQEw

9. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

You might want to consider the BodySolid Multi-Press Rack (plus a half decent bench if you don't have one).

I bought one and I love it. Not too expensive, rated for 1000lbs., and you can do all the major compos on it, including chins ( if you use an empty bar, put it across the top notch on the gun rack and bend your knees).

You can walk a loaded bar up or down the gun rack. The safeties adjust in seconds.

Doesn't take up a heck of alot of space. You can use a six foot bar on it but I prefer the seven foot.

I've used mine for squats, rack deads, benching,shrugs, mil press.
    Also used it for power hook hanger for d.b. work.

One of the best pieces of equip I ever bought.:cool:

10. Big_Simon

Big_Simon Active Member

Very When I started out I was just a hair under 300lbs and it took my weight as if my wife was on it trying to dips or chin ups.

I've had mine since November and am very impressed with it.

Check out my journal for pics.

Honestly though if you want to go cheap just get an adjustable bench and find some used dumbbells. You can do pretty much any exercise using free weights. It all depends on how much weight your going to need. There's lots of things you can do without spending big $$$

11. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

In the contract you sign for Powertec when you get the rack, you are required to wear tight blue spandex and nothing else during your workouts.

They give you a 5% discount if you sign the contract that requires pink spandex.

12. paolo12345678910

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll see if I can find that too. But the thing is no one sells anything around my city and or the bigger city near me. So I've decided to just join a gym. That and the spandex thing kmfisher mentioned...

13. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

It looks pretty sturdy judging from your journal pictures. I'm also considering one of the elitefts racks. With 300+ pound squats becoming common-place for me I'll need something pretty well built.

I'm going to need to buy a better bar first. These cheap olympic bars just won't cut it pretty soon.