1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How do guys in jail get so big????

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by onamission, Oct 29, 2009.

1. onamission

onamission Active Member

I wasnt completly sure where too post this...but this is a question me and my friends have often wondered and im hoping someone can shed some light on it for us.

How do some guys in prison get so bigg?? im from the uk..and theres a show on TV called "americas toughest jails" i dont know if you get it in america lol, but anyways they show the whole prison, and guys working out in the yard-apparently these guys train most the day-some are absoultly huge!..but then they also said at another point on the show that each prisoner is allocated 45g of protien per day, it looks like some of these guys would need 250g just too maintain!!

Now im sure some exstort food from other inmates, but surly not that much, i dont believe everything i see on TV, can anyone tell me if the 45g protien a day is accurate?, training half the day?.

It goes against everything i have read about building muscle and im abit confused!.

Can anyone enlighten me?:)

2. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

I have no idea. But one thing comes to mind: starchy, calorically dense food is really cheap. So they may have access to a ton of calories just not in the protein-heavy style you might expect from traditional bodybuilders or strength athletes.

It's also possible to develop an incredible physique with body weight exercises. Regardless of what equipment is available, they'll aways have that, and time.

3. George

George Senior Member

#3 George, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  4. onamission

onamission Active Member

thanks for the replys:)

i think the starchy carbs is a good point, but still unsure about thier protien intake, and how.

those links were a great read! thanks for that.:)

5. john_e_turner_ii

john_e_turner_ii Active Member

They must eat pretty well. That first prison story of that huge guy was really good. He must have to eat at least 4000 calories per day to support a body that size and that can perform like that. That's a lot of food, and I bet he doesn't breakdown his macros or worry about getting this or that. He just eats. Sometimes I think we all worry too much about percentages, and we just need to eat.

6. tbuck

tbuck Active Member

And...

I would suspect that steroids are pretty easy to get, as well as other drugs.

I've read that some prisons are taking away the workout equipment, because the inmates get so big and strong...it's difficult for the guards to control them.:confused:

7. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

8. sjake

sjake Active Member

I worked at a jail here in the US..All jails here have recreation rooms equipped with the weight rooms! They all have gyms for the inmates to work out in..And yes the food is basic enough only to meet minimal caloric intake..However, thes people have access to commonsary which they can utilize $ in their accounts(from family/friends) to buy almost any supplement known to man..These people have nothing to do for 24 hours a day but work out! And in this environment, its detrimental to their own health and safety to small framed. Meaning the other inmates will physically hurt the weaker..So size in somewhat of a survival technique..Survival of the fittest totally comes into play here..