1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How did you get your abs?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by The1andonly, Feb 25, 2009.

1. The1andonly

The1andonly Active Member

I would like to hear from those of you who have visible abdominal muscles and had to work for them (meaning you did not obtain them naturally or were born with them). Aside from getting to a lower body fat percentage ratio...what did you to get them? Did you work on them everyday? Once a week? If you didnt have to work hard for them did you find that one point in your life you did a lot of abdominal exercises? And finally, What have you done to keep your abs visible even after bulking and putting on weight?

2. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

I squatted a lot and ate tons of veggies. Clearly, I'm not ripped, but I haven't counted calories or done any sort of cardio thus far. I rarely do direct ab work, but I get lots of core work with the big compounds.

Starting in March, I'll be pursuing an "enviable" six pack by means of cutting out everything I consider junk food and doing 20 minutes or so of cardio twice a week. My goal in minimal maintenance abs.

Chances are I'll skimp on the cardio, though, so I'm hoping moving to a 100% clean diet will do enough :p

You look pretty lean yourself, what exactly are you looking for? If I were you, I'd bulk bulk bulk :D

3. The1andonly

The1andonly Active Member

I am in a bulking period and look nothing like my avatar as I am at least 20 pounds heavier....it seems that the only way for me to have visible abs is to be around 150 pounds which is wayyyyy 2 skinny for my taste being that i am 6'1.

4. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Kinda a the same thing for me (but not as much squatting). Keeping in mind that I'm female, I'm 5'5", and I cut down to 114 pounds gradually after joining the forums. Needless to say, I didn't have great abs even after all that weight loss. I have much better abs now at almost 10 pounds heavier, but I only do direct ab work once a week.
    I don't think that will work. You won't have any abs to uncover at that weight. :nope:

5. LiLRoB89

LiLRoB89 Active Member

I've been going to gym now for about 40 days. When i started, i weighed 167 pounds, and had no abs ( had somewhat of a belly). I'm 19, 5 feet 7 inches tall, and now weigh 155 pounds about. Ever since i went to gym i worked my abs after every workout ( which is 4-5 times a week). I now have no more belly, and my stomach has become much more defined. Although i don't have a ripped 6 pack yet, one can def. see the outlines, and a little bit of abs.

So for me, it was working them after every workout, and eating well. ( I use to eat poorly, but started eating very well once i started).

6. kastfan

kastfan Active Member

Compound lifts are great for developing the core. As for direct ab work, stick to the same principles you use to build muscle for the rest of your body. Heavy weight, low reps, rest. I do crunches on a lat pulldown machine and hanging knee raises with a weight between my feet. Go heavy. 5x5 or something similar. Once or twice per week. It has worked great for me.

7. Barber

Barber Well-Known Member

Something I used to wonder ever since I was a teenager...and based on readings, friends' advice, television programs, magazines, etc, my approach to the coveted "six-pack" abs has been many different ways...

1. low-fat, high carb diet of the 80-90's
    2. whole bunch of sit-ups
    3. lot of leg raises
    4. endless cardio
    5. very low calorie diet
    6. etc., etc., etc....

I was chubby as a child and have been "fat" until college when I started to experiment with different fad diets and workouts. Well, I NEVER achieved a six-pack, obviously. But, finally, I am slowly approaching my goal. My abs are really starting to show. And, here was my path:

1. Several years of "working-out" and getting lean through cardio and recreational lifting (bicep curls, machines, etc) while restricting calories off and on
    2. Then, discovered "compound lifts" (e.g., deadlifts, squats, pullups, etc)...and gained bunch of muscle but still no six-pack yet
    3. Yo-yo dieted between 165-195lbs
    4. Finally, got serious and ate quality food, lots of veggies, moderate starchy carbs (sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown rice), bunch of lean protein sources (chicken breasts, cottage cheese, tuna, salmon, tilapia, etc) and stayed really consistent on my workouts (see my journal for further details). "Cheat" meals only once every 1-2 weeks.
    5. After 8-10 weeks, my abs started to really show.

I'm still trying to figure out how i'm going to REALLY lean out over the next few months...

8. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Compound lifts don't do jack-crap for my abs. (and I Dead and Squat very heavy).

Although you would see them by default if I lost enough weight to look like an Auschwitz intern.

If you want abs, read my Fitness journal....you'll get plenty doing those routines.

And you''ll be able to see them....as long as your bodyfat isn't too bad or too high.

I can see mine and I'm not in the single -digit b/fat zone.....(this is by choice-I could be if I wanted to).

Of course bodyfat is the ultimate determining factor as to how well ones abs can be seen eventually. The other factor is whether one actually has any ab development to be seen, once the fat is lowered.

9. njprime

njprime Active Member

Eating very clean
    Compound Lifts
    Fully inverted crunches (hang from your feet and touch your toes)
    Hanging leg raises (Straight leg, legs to ceiling)
    Side bends
    Weighted Incline crunches

I've maintained visible abs for about 8 months now, without counting calories.
    I haven't targeted "enviable" because it will probably slow my muscle gain if I maintain such a low body fat percentage, but if I wanted to, it'd probably just mean 1-2 more weeks of cutting.

10. asiansensation78

asiansensation78 Active Member

It's almost impossible for me to maintain abs since I'm genetically predisposed to carry fat around my lower midsection. During my last cut though, I had a pretty decent set. Combination of low carb diet and working out 6x a week. Squats and compounds 2 of those days. Direct ab work 1x a week.

Here's what my abs menu looked like:
    [​IMG]

I'm sure you're enjoying the extra calories on your bulk though! :bb: Make the most of it because you know you can cut.

11. iheartlamps

iheartlamps Active Member

I adopt louie simmons method of ab training...train em twice a week max and train em HEAVY.