1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How Cold Is Too Cold?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling, Mountain Biking & Cyclocross' started by PeteBDawg, Jan 17, 2018.

1. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

As an adopted New Englander, I am a bit too macho-istic about going outside in the cold. I've gotten a little frostbite once from walking across town in sub-10 degrees F weather without covering my face. And now I have a bike and have enjoyed getting around on it quite a bit, and I want to know what is reasonable or safe in terms of riding a bike in the cold and the wind - in the event that the snow and ice clear but we still have this blustery frigid nonsense.

So - in your opinion, what are the rules or boundaries for cold-weather biking? What precautions do you take, and when do you draw the line for safety's sake?

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I'm not a biker but my limit for running is wind chill below zero. Maybe if I had better clothing I could go lower. A bigger concern of mine is ice. I would rather skip a run than slip and get hurt missing several weeks

#2 macdiver, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  3. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I stop riding my motorcycle when the high goes below 50 degrees. :nono:

++ Mac's point about ice. I don't bike or run when it's icy out. That's what treadmills and stationary/recumbent bikes are for.

4. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

Makes sense! Thanks!