1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How can I trim love handle but not lose weight?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Wherebob, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Wherebob

Wherebob Active Member

I am 47, 6ft and 170lbs. Over the years I have be gaining these love handles. I have not gained any weight or lost any muscle mass. I dropped down to 161 lbs at one point to lose them but didn't do much accept look obnoxiously thin, not a healthy weight for me.

As you can see in the attached pic I still am in pretty good shape and not much fat except for these damn love handles.
    Any advice on how to trim these and not lose any more weight would be much appreicated!

Thanks
    Bob

Attached Files:

2. Wherebob

Wherebob Active Member

Also thought I should add that I have not changed my diet or workout routine in any way, I eat and train the same as I did when I was maintaining my shape.

and as posted on a thread earlier this year:

I lift 3 days a week
    Jog 2 days a week

Diet is pretty strict

Maintenance diet:
    * breakfast - 3/4 bowl of wheaties
    * Lunch - 1 slice of whole wheat bread with 2 slices of lean turkey and 1 slice of 2% cheese, 1 banana, 1/8 head of lettuce, 12oz glass of water with creatine
    * Dinner - 2 cups (measured uncooked) of pasta with salt, 1 apple, 1 medium carrot, water.
    * Night snack - 3/4 - 1 cup of peanuts, 1 pepsi max

1 whole day a week I eat whatever I want and one just at night whatever I want.

To gain I just eat more of the above and to cut I eat less and skip the peanut snack at night.

#2 Wherebob, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  3. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

You can't spot reduce. The only thing you can do is keep losing fat until the love handles are gone. The mid-section is one of the last places most men lose fat.

Bottom line: accept the love handles or keep leaning out.

4. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. I look like a cancer patient and have the waist of a middle school child, but that's the leanness I require to rid myself of them.

+1

I have searched long and far for another answer, but there is simply isn't one. :blank:

5. stallion16

stallion16 Well-Known Member

What is your workout like? It is possible that you are doing exercises that build up the obliques. With some fat (even a little bit), it may give the appearance of large love handles.

Other than that, like john said, keep leaning out. We all have different places in our body where fat tends to store till we get really lean. For me, it's right on top of the abs, around my belly button. Your genetics might dictate that the problem area is the love handles.

Also, I would like to add that you actually look very good and you're in excellent shape, and the love handles that you speak of are actually not THAT bad man.

6. vocaltrance

vocaltrance Well-Known Member

To be honest, I think your diet needs work.

I think you're eating way too many carbs. You're also taking in no more than 30g of protein - that's too low.

You should consider a clean bulk followed by a cut if you want to get rid of those handles without being at a lower weight.

Are you targeting all muscle groups in your workout?

7. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Active Member

Maybe if you add some mass to your back and shoulders, it would help to make your love handles look smaller.

8. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I agree with vocal. Diet needs an overhaul.

9. huxald

huxald Well-Known Member

Alan Aragon makes the following suggestions with regards to macros for a target body weight:

Protein = 1.3g/target bodyweight (TBW)

Carbs on training days = 1g/lb TBW + 0%, 5%, or 10% of TBW for every hour of exercise per week, depending on average intensity. We'll keep the example simple & shoot right in the middle here @ 5%, using .05 in our calculations.

Carbs on days off = 0.75 x TBW

Fat = TBW x 0.45

So I would use your current bodyweight as your target body weight and change your macros around to meet the above suggestions. Mind you, Alan defines TBW = LBM/(1-bf%).

If you're interested in peri-workout nutrition, have a read here: http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showpost.php?p=126253&postcount=1

#9 huxald, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  10. mastover

If you want to maintain your weight but gain some muscle while dropping some fat, a simple approach is what I have many of my competitors use. Now, to be fair, I'd need some more info from you(training, activity levels, food allergies, etc.) but a good general approach would be multiply your bodyweight by 14 which has you at 2380 calories per day, and you'd cycle calories during the week using something like this:

MON: 2380 cals
    TUE: 1860 cals
    WED: 2750 cals
    THU: 2480 cals
    FRI: 2037 cals
    SAT: 2850 cals
    SUN: 2380 cals

Your two highest calorie days would be on your most intense weight training days, say back and legs. I'd also recommend substantially increasing your protein over what you are doing. About 1.25 - 1.5 grams per lb. of bodyweight.

From my experience, this type of calorie cycling works best during the latter stages of dieting, not when just starting out. Once a plateau has been established this will work extremely well. It's just like using fat burners. People make the mistake of taking them at the onset of a fat loss diet before giving the diet sufficient chance to burn fat. Fat burners will make no difference, and if you are a competitor it still will account for possibly a 2% difference due to the extra energy it might provide.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but I also think you might be obcessing over the love handles a bit. ;)

11. ms3jake

ms3jake Active Member

When you went down to 160 did you lose mostly muscle to give you that "thin" look?

I am in a similar situation as you.

Ive been lifting weights for 15 years consistently and have built a fair amount of muscle and strength but because of my semi bad diet, desk job, no cardio, I have gained some trim. The bulk of my fat storage is around the midsection. It feels like crap! I would love to lose it but don't want to kiss all my muscle and strength gains goodbuy. Being almost 35 yr I'm afraid if I lose the weight/fat I will have a real hard time building the lost muscle back.
    Back in 06 I went from 190 to 150 and lost most of my midsection fat working at UPS running around like crazy and not having enough time to eat much. I quit UPS and got a desk job gaining the weight back and then some.
    I don't know what my BF% is but I'm now 185lbs 5'9 and 3/4 with a 35 and 1/2 inch waste let out in the biggest spot standing up straight and 16inch arms cold flexed.
    It's take a lot for me to gain muscle but not much lose it.
    If I didn't have the flab around the mid section and had 10 more lbs of muscle than I do now I would look awesome.
    I hate these love handles it's messing up my look!

There's always lipo...:rolleyes:

12. ms3jake

ms3jake Active Member

To the OP and for myself I think the best way to lose the fat and minimize muscle loss would be start adding cardio to my weight routine building up to 5 days of 45 min bike around 80% of max heart rate.
    Clean up diet (higher lean protein, lower but good carbs and fats) but don't drop calories past maintenance. Burn the fat off with the cardio. If plateu add hit and or carefully drop calories by 100 per day carefully. All the while keeping up with the weights of coarse.

How does thus sound?
    I know when I drop my calories my muscle falls off easily so was thinking burn it off since I've never really done consistent cardio.

Will this work?

13. mastover

Uhhh, no.... WRONG answer, man!! :)

14. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

Mastover, I think you meant WORST

15. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

also - sorry to rehash this thread, but i too have this problem

I'm currently doing RFL in hopes of losing them, but it seems that all of the fat loss is coming from everywhere else BUT my love handles.

my problem is that i would think that by lowering my b/f% ultra low that they would go away.. but then i'd look like a skeleton!!!

could anyone offer any advice on this? post RFL, i'm hoping to be under 15% and start the UD2.0 <-do you think this could shed my love handles?

or perhaps cutting to 10%b/f.. bulk to 15%b/f.. rinse & repeat?

i have semi current pics in my 1st journal (link in my tag line) if you wanted to know where i currently am w/losing them. as you can tell, i carry the majority of my fat in my mid section & thighs :/

#15 Deeman, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  16. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

That sounds like the type of thinking that has today's society trending to larger percentages of obesity. Surgically removing fat does fix the external problem, but does not go to the root of the problem. Lifestyle, attitude and mentality changes are what it takes, along with hard work, dedication and determination, to make lasting changes in your external appearances.

Your solution would be a temporary answer.

I just finished reading The Anabolic Diet, and it is purported to accelerate fat loss evenly over the whole body. I remember reading that people with areas of stubborn fat that they haven't been able to shed, even at low bf levels, have seen those areas steadily shrink with this program.

Keep in mind that I have never done this, but plenty of people have. I found a thread about it on JSF as well. Maybe that might be a better option than UD 2.0 (I have not had a chance to read that one, but Lyle's ideas are usually pretty good).

Either way, I think you'll probably have to cut to a pretty low bf% if the love handles are the first area your body stores fat. Usually that is the last place you'll lose it, too. Stupid genetics. :lol:

17. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Now was it the diet that led to the stubborn areas clearing up? Or was it just getting that much leaner?

Deeman 15% isn't fat but it isn't overly lean either. 10% isn't a skeleton either. 10% with at least some muscle doesn't look at all like a skeleton.

I think we all have problem areas. It gets to you even if you're the only person who can see the problem. I know I'm not happy being so lean to have veins showing on my chest and now obliques :rolleyes: but I still have the same problem area. It's smaller and closer to being cleared up but I'm a lot leaner then I thought it would take.

18. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

Thanks for the info! I will definitely check out the program you mentioned and yes, that is the 1st place my body stores fat

diet & exercise have helped them go away slightly, but not to the extent that i want (GONE!). i have definitely leaned out all of my body, but the love handles & gut (which is actually going away) are my main aesthetic concerns ATM.

what was your beginning/current B/F%?

19. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I'm afraid to think what I started at.

I guess I'm under 10% (just ) these days. The formulas/calipers don't work for me since what little fat I have is all local :doh:

20. Champion2008

Champion2008 Member

Just to recap: You have no problem losing fat and keeping muscle.
    You also have no problem with your diet as it pertains to maintaining your current build.
    Your problem is that your face thins out and your bf% lowers but you are still left with love handles???

I think it's time you learned about ALPHA receptors and BETA receptors. These receptors determine the rate/speed at which the fat cells release fat into the bloodstream for energy. ALPHA RECEPTORS cause a slow release while BETA RECEPTORS allow faster release. The lower back and love handles have more alpha then beta receptors. So.....Clean bulk to about 190... then there are methods/supplements that block alpha receptors .... SO YOUR LOVE HANDLES RELEASE FAT AT THE SAME RATE/SPEED AS THE REST OF YOUR FAT CELLS.....works perfectly!! There are supplements such as Yohimbe that temporarily disable ALPHA receptors and also fasting 12-16 hrs between meals has been studied to target the love handles/slow release areas. I used Lipo6x which contains Yohimbine in combination with fasting 16 hours between meals (only when cutting).....NICE!!!