1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

How Buttersweet lost her 'butt' and then built some

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Buttersweet, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

OK, for those of you who thought this would be some sort of a retrospective journal, I have to disappoint you. I'm just so determined to succeed in losing fat and building muscle, that in some 6-10 months this title will make perfect sense.:)
    Since I've told most about how I used to struggle with my fat, and how I joined the forum in some other threads, I really don't feel like writing all that again. Instead, let me just say that after only 3 months of weight lifting (and 5 months of aeroboxing), for the first time since puberty, I guess, I finally feel good about myself when I look in the mirror. And I'm not even there yet! It's going to be at least six more months before I reach my goal, but I'm really enjoying the process, and I don't think I'll ever give up lifting, because the feeling is so good. I guess I'm addicted now.:D
    The reason I'm starting the journal is because I'm kind of fed up with the "100 challenge". It was very helpful at the beginning, very motivating, and fun to be a part of, but it's not working for me anymore. However, I still need support and advice from this community, perhaps now more than ever, and would like to share my experience with those who might find it helpful.

Since there will be no aeroboxing in July and August, I can finally concentrate on lifting only. I've also managed to persuade a friend to join me, and on Wednesday, since it was simply too hot to do boxing, the trainer, two other girls, my friend and I went to the gym to lift weights. It was amazing, and my friend was thrilled, so we kind of made a deal with the trainer that we'd meet there 3 times a week. :claphigh:

But I noticed one thing, most of the people there do 1-2 sets and a few reps on one machine and then move to another, without any apparent order, or sense. :confused: Some even made some comments or sighs, as if they were annoyed with how much time I spent using one machine. If I start making notes about my progress and all, they'll be really pissed. Bwahahah:evil:

I'll be posting my pics and exercise plan later.

[​IMG]

2. johnhoefer

johnhoefer Active Member

Good luck. Getting on my way as well. I will be starting up a journal next week.

3. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

Ciao J!
    Finally you've joined the dark side :cool:

You can look forward to lotsa posts from Amsterdam! :D
    I'm glad you're gonna do some serious weighlifting this summer, as I'm sure you'll notice positive results. Not that I don't think you look great already. :tucool:
    On a side note: you don't need to be spending endless times on a machine, it's not cardio *sigh* :p

4. Buttersweet

tnx j
    why wait next week?:)

:claphigh:
    awwwww:o
    ok, ok, i gotta mention this, on Wednesday, my trainer and I were confused about starting an elliptical, or a bike, whatever, in the gym, and so she called this, about 25 year old guy to do it for me, and he had to put in my age and all, and he wrote 19!!!!! i was like.... uhm, ok, tnx, but you know, i'm a bit older. lmao. anyways, that's kind of cool, because last year, in a store this sales person, a girl, talking to my mum, referred to me as if I were 18 at the time.:)

:lol:
    uhm, so if i spend an hour a day on a, let's say, master gluteus machine, I won't have JLo's butt by the end of the month? damn!:p

5. eleonardo

HAHAA I love it when that happens!

You can eat lots and lots of cookies and your butt will be like JLo's
    of course the rest of your body will be like early-Oprah's ;)

6. Buttersweet

:blank: i love cookies...

anyways, here's my old exercise plan... btw, i used to do lifting at home and was quite limited in many different ways, but i'll be doing it seriously from now on, although, i did manage to get some pretty good results none the less, thanks to my dedication and determination I guess, and I've been receiving many compliments lately. So, please comment on my plan and make suggestions on what should be changed.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE

Day 1: chest, shoulders, triceps (PM)

i don't do all of these in one session, of course, i do a selection, 3 exercises per group of muscles, 3 sets of each

Chest: push-ups 3x8
    push-ups (on knees) 3x12
    flat bench dumbbell flies 3x12
    flat bench press with dumbbells 3x12
    Shoulders: dumbbell front raises 3x12
    dumbbell side lateral raises (standing) 3x12
    bent over lateral raises 3x12
    Triceps: lying dumbbell overhead extension (palms upwards) 3x12
    lying dumbbell overhead extension (palms downwards) 3x12
    kickbacks (standing) 3x12 (each side)

Day 2: back, biceps (PM)
    Back: hyper extension 1 (floor) 3x12
    hyper extension 2 (floor) 3x12 - obviously this will be improved

Biceps: push-ups 3x8
    push-ups (on knees) 3x12
    bicep-curls 3x12
    hammer-curls 3x12
    concentric curls 3x12 (each side)

Day 3: legs, abs (PM)
    Legs: front squats (arms extended, dumbbells) 3x12
    Sitting on a chair with a dumbbell on my shoulders, than stand up and sit down. 3x12
    dumbbell lunges 3x12 each leg
    sumo squats 3x12
    pelvic lifts 3x12
    Abs: floor abdominal crunches (1) 1x12, 1x8
    floor abdominal crunches (2) 1x12, 1x8
    leg raises 1x12, 1x8
    twists 1x12, 1x8 each side

I think i might go swimming or running on alternate days, depending on the amount of work and/or weather.

Diet will be posted later, but people have already helped me refine it so it's down to me counting calories and staying disciplined. :whistle:

7. eleonardo

Let's seeeee.

Your first day is quite extensive. I don't think you need 3x3x12 for triceps. 2 exercises should be enough.

Perhaps you could exchange a push up program (on knees for example) with inclined bench press, so you have variation.

Day 2: Why 2 hyperextensions? What's the difference between 1 and2?
    Why again push ups? You've done them on day one for chest, so no need to do them again.
    You need more back and less biceps. Try deadlifts, pull downs, etc.
    And keep biceps, if you must do isolation, to bicep curls and hammers let's say.

As an overall comment: try sticking to compound as much as possible. Try also 10 reps instead of 12?
    My 2cts! :)

8. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

Hi Buttersweet! :wave:
    I love your title, and it's so great that you picked one that's so forward thinking. Don't lose the whole butt now.:nono: You'll need it for sitting and squatting and bending....:lol:

I'll definitely be checking in.:nod:

9. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

I agree... what you want to do is exchange the jiggly butt for the firm and shapely butt :p:lol:

hi ya Buttersweet... I like the title too... and your obvious determination... a couple of comments on the workout... I agree with most of eleonardo's comments... drop the push ups on the bicep day, drop the "on knee" push ups all togehter and add some bigger back and chest moves... deadlifts and straight leg deadlifts both work your lower back as much as they work your hamstrings and glutes and they would replace those hypers your doing on the floor... as for rep range, I'd suggest that instead of trying to hit 12 each time, try to aim for a rep 'range' insteady, try for anywhere between 8 and 12 and challenge your muscles... if you're getting 12 reps on all three sets your not lifting enough weight.... by the third set you should be failing before you get to 12 ;) and you really do need to do more for your back... you have more moves in your bicep workouts (although push ups aren't really a bicep move, they work your back and chest more than your biceps), if you don't have access to cable machines you could do single arm dumbbell rows, and bent over barbell rows, if you do have cable machines, go for the pull downs and if available try the assited pull up machine, it will work your lats really well :tu:

now on the side laterals, I'd up that to 15 to 20 reps.. the only reason I say to do that on side laterals is that nicely developed shoulders make your waist look smaller and throwing in higher reps on that one move really help to make your shoulder definition pop :nod: I'd also think about adding military presses to your shoulder workout, unless you have rotator cuff issues, as long as you don't have any issues with your shoulders add the military press ;)

good luck :gl:

10. eleonardo

I agree with everything Chemeleon said! I was actually working on a similar add-on post, but she beat me to it! :)

11. eleonardo

Small correction: the title would be cooler if it was: "Buttersweet melting the butter from her (sweet) butt" :cool:

12. Chameleon

:D

:lol:

13. Buttersweet

lol, a lawyer with some poetic inclination? interesting:lol:

already getting there, actually, i'll be wearing my super short shorts on the way to the gym today, it's not like i think everything is perfect, it's just that lifting has given me so much confidence:)
    thanks, I've been doing that so far, and since all the dumbbells at home are not heavy enough anymore, i'm moving to the gym.
    i do need more exercises for my back, and i'll be checking out all these names in English over the weekend (i still don't know what all these exercises are), and set up a sound plan. however, both you and Eleonardo missed one sentence in my post: 'i don't do all of these in one session, of course, i do a selection, 3 exercises per group of muscles, 3 sets of each'
    actually, i'm very happy with the progress in my shoulders, i think when i post some decent pics, you'll see i've been taking good care of that area:)
    [/quote]

thank you both for your comments, well, what i need to do is make a new plan, because i haven't really been sticking to this old one anyways:D AND, i want to start doing deadlifts, but i don't have much trust in the guy working at my gym, and i want to get the proper form first, before i concentrate on weight. I'll have to find someone to be there and correct me while i exercise.

Butterflyer, tnx for stopping by, don't make it long before next time;)

14. Chameleon

you know... I was about to get all up in arms that I had too read where you said you didn't do every move each time... and then I went :doh: sometimes you'll do pushups on back day, and sometimes the next day, which is why you listed it twice :p LOL... I get it now

you can look up most of these excercises at www.bodybuilding.com ;)

15. Buttersweet

thanks!, well, i've just discovered that amongst all the exercises on the list i've also been doing Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row With Palms-In, and One-Arm Dumbbell Row:lol: and on wednesday i did Seated Cable Rows :)so, i'm not all that bad. as i said, i'll look it all up on this site, and the one E told me about some time ago, and will post a new plan, so hope you'll be checking up on me soon.
    tnx again
    off to the gym

16. Buttersweet

i had such an AMAZING workout this evening! i don't think i'll be able to pick up a pen tomorrow, but who cares:D

on my way to the gym i found out my friend wasn't coming. in the gym i realized no one else was coming. when the trainer arrived and realized i was the only girl there, she said the guy working there (the one i didn't trust if you remember) would show me what to do. 'just perfect', i thought. so, after warming up on the stationary bike he came with a 'face' as if annoyed by my very presence. my trainer had already told him i wanted to do back and biceps, but i told him i wanted to do as many 'compound exercises' as possible, and i said it in English, because i don't really know what that's called in Croatian:). he looked at me and smiled, and i think that was the moment he actually took me seriously. :nod:
    so, all together he showed me 4 compound exercises for back, some affecting biceps some triceps as well. and 2 isolated for biceps. AND i was the only girl in the gym doing lifting.
    coming out of the changing room i told him 'that was great, but i should do more for legs and abs'. then he said 'we'll do that next time'. uhm, did i get myself a buddy there?:D

17. Darvonia

Darvonia Active Member

Hey girl! Thanks for the email! :)

I will keep an eye on you in here! :tu:

Keep working hard! :claphigh:

Maybe I'll start a journal one day and join you all on the dark side as well....:D

~A

18. eleonardo

A girl in super short shorts is always perfect :D

I saw that and still all my posts stand! :p

:D

haha that sounds so sad :)
    the important thing is you were going :)

Stop flirting with the personal trainer :spank:

19. eleonardo

You're not allowed to start a journal, till you start working out. :neener:

20. Buttersweet

lmao
    he's not a personal trainer and i wasn't flirting!:mad:
    anyways, chameleon will be happy to know that he made me do military presses, and i have to say, i feel really sore today.

ok, this is what i did:
    - 2 types of sitting military presses, 3x12 (to failure) - 25kg and 20kg EDIT: it was pulldowns! still some homework to do obviously:)
    - some sort of back flyes, since i can't find it on the net, here's what i did: on a pec deck machine(?) where you sit facing the machine, and you do flies with your wrists, making sure the elbows don't drop down; i was supposed to do 4x15 but i did 1x15, 1x10 and the last to sets only 5 reps - 10kg (my traps and triceps are absolutely killing me today)
    - low pulley row to chest 3x12 - 15kg
    - alternate hammer curls 3x12 - 4kg in each hand (this wasn't heavy enough, they don't have dumbbells of 5kg, and i know 6 will be too much, but i'll do 6 next time anyways)
    - cable hammer curls 3x12 - 10kg

so, what do you think?

#20 Buttersweet, Jun 30, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2007