1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

How and where to take measurements?

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by phillydude, Aug 15, 2014.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I've never been big on taking measurements with a tape, but I think I'd like to add that into my tracking toolbox. I've got a tape, but I'm not sure where the "standard" spots to measure would be?

1) Chest - across the nipple line?
    2) Waist - across the navel?
    3) Hip - across the pelvic bone?
    4) Bicep/Tricep - half way between armpit and elbow?
    4) Thigh - half way between groin and knee?

Also, what's the usual body condition for measurements?

Cold and unflexed? Pumped and unflexed? Pumped and flexed?

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Here's what I do.

1) Chest: Yep, right across the nipple line.
    2) Waist: I measure just below my belly button. This is not the "standard" location, but I like to measure there because that's where I put on fat first.
    3) Hips: I measure my hips at their absolute widest point.
    4) Arms: This is the only measurement where I flex, and I measure right across the peak of the biceps.
    5) Thigh: again, at their widest point, which is pretty close to the top of my leg.

I don't know if the above are "standard" locations (in fact a couple of them I know are not), but as you can see I like to measure "worst case", at my widest points. I think the primary concern is consistency with your measurement locations from one session to the next. I also recommend the Myotape, as it's much more accurate than a regular soft tape.

I always measure first thing in the morning, cold and unflexed (except, as mentioned above, my arms which I do flex, but with no pump).

3. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks!