1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

HOUSE OF PAIN - 2016

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by IROC-Z, Jan 14, 2016.

1. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

4/25/16
    Hip Belt Squats
    Pistols
    Block Weight Medley
    2HP
    Flask
    Plate Curls
    Wrist Roller

BW = 229

Merk likes this.
  2. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

4/26/16
    Jump Rope
    Speed Bag
    DB Curls
    Side Lateral Raises
    Ab Wheel
    Powerball

Merk likes this.
  3. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

4/28/16
    Squats
    Dips
    Pullups

Did two rounds of this. Was a little short on time, so this workout was quick. Plan is to do some more squats this afternoon and follow that up with some thick bar DL's.

Merk likes this.
  4. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

5/2/16
    Squats
    Block weights - farmer's walks
    2HP
    Wrist Curls
    Sledge Choke

With the weather getting nicer, I've been spending less time on the internet. Need to do a better job of logging workouts!

5. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal

I agree, you need to do a better job of logging your workouts!

Man, you've been as bland as an unsalted/buttered potato with your posts! Add some flavor to it! ( If your offended be sure to remind yourself that you PM'd me to come back, just sayin'....:doh:)

IROC-Z likes this.
  6. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Hey, IROC, thanks for telling Merk to get his ass back here! :)

Having said that...

He's_right_you_know.jpg

IROC-Z likes this.
  7. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Hahaha.........you guys are totally right. And no, I'm not offended at all. The truth is that my workouts have been pretty bland, but I've been completely pain free for several weeks now, so that's the upside to my blandness.:D In a nutshell, I've been keeping the volume very low and I'm only doing movements that won't irritate my lower back too much.

5/3/16
    Sprints
    Jump Rope
    Extensor Bands
    Powerball

5/4/16
    Bench Press
    Grippers
    Pullups
    Dips
    DB Rows
    Skull Crushers
    Band PA

Been doing high rep sets on the grippers. I feel like I probably reached my genetic potential for a one rep max on the grippers several years ago, so at this point, I would just be spinning my wheels with trying to get stronger. Nowadays, I close grippers more for general hand health than I do for strength.

I said a while back that my son was training for his first year of tackle football, which will start at the end of July. He's made it his goal in life to win the starting RB position and his training for that is going really well. He can knock out two sets of 75 reps in BW squats like it's a warmup, and he's also killing two sets of strict 30 rep pushups. I was really hoping to just stick with the BW stuff for his training, but at this rate, we're going to have to start adding some type of resistance. I'm thinking maybe we'll add bands for the squats and maybe a 5 - 10 lb. plate on his back for the pushups. Oh yeah, his grip training is going well too........been doing lots of timed holds with block weights. I keep telling him to imagine that the block weight is a football and that somebody is trying to rip the football out of his hand. His hold times are getting longer each week!:tu:

John Stone likes this.
  8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Nice to read that you've been pain free of late and your son sounds as if he's on his way to achieving his goal. It sure helps to have someone so supportive and knowledgeable as you to help him. :tucool:

9. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Thanks, Paul. I'm trying not to push him too much. I like the fact that he keeps approaching me and asking if he can workout. While most of his friends are sitting around playing video games, he's out trying to get stronger and faster!:claphigh:

10. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

5/6/16
    Hip Belt Squats
    Axle DL
    Mini Inch - timed holds

On Saturday I did some uphill sprints and some core work with my son. Sprints are something I used to do, but until recently, I haven't done them in a long time. I figure as long as my knees aren't hurting, it's not going to kill me. It's also a good way to provide my son with some additional motivation.

11. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

DSCF0024.JPG

New toy arrived yesterday......125# Inch DB replica. The one on the left weighs 100#. Both have a 2.5" handle, which makes them feel a lot heavier than they actually are. Should be fun for some higher rep DL's and maybe even some farmer's walks.:bb:

Merk likes this.
  12. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

I know I've been horrible about posting workouts lately, but things have been going well. The nicer weather has reduced my internet time considerably. Workouts have been very solid and the lower back is still feeling pretty decent. The more stretching and hip mobility stuff I do, the better my back feels. Just have to keep at it. This afternoon's workout will be squats, thick bar, and I'm going to try some farmer's walks with the Inch DB replicas.

My son's workouts are also still going really well. He sets a PR each workout! He wanted to add in some DB curls to his routine, so we went ahead and dropped in a couple sets a week and he has quickly progressed to the 10# DB's.

Merk likes this.
  13. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

5/23/16
    Hip Belt Squat (new PR)
    Block Weights - farmer's walks
    2HP
    Plate Curls
    Wrist Roller

Tore a chunk of skin off my right hand on the wrist roller. Seems like 220 is about the heaviest I can go without something bad happening. Anything over that and the knurling tries to peel your skin right off. Might get a smooth roller and give that a shot.

Merk likes this.
  14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Would lifting gloves help?

15. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

I actually tried out a pair of rawhide work gloves and they did save my skin, but the problem was that they didn't allow me to use enough weight to make the movement effective. I've found that using less chalk helps a little, but this is probably one of those things that doesn't have a good answer.

Had another great week of workouts. The best part is I haven't experienced any lower back pain at all. I would love to put these back issues behind me once and for all, but I'm realistic enough to know that this is something that's probably going to flare up every now and then. Just have to keep on top of the prehab stuff and keep looking for creative ways to work around it.

Hope everybody enjoys the weekend and a huge thank you to all of our veterans and active service men/women.

Merk likes this.
  16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Nice to read that your back is feeling better. :)

Enjoy the weekend.

17. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Had an extremely busy week at work, but did manage to hit all of my workouts. Diet has been a bit suspect lately and I weighed in at 234 this morning. My Bench Press is definitely moving in the right direction and I attribute that to the additional pulling work I've been doing (mainly heavy Bent Rows). I'm working all weekend, so I won't get much done at home, but hopefully I'll be able to take a couple days off work during the upcoming week. My work schedule has really been crazy as of late.

18. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    You're up early on a Saturday...

19. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Actually, I was at work.:(

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Fixxxxed. I hope the rest of the weekend was more enjoyable. :)