1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

HOUSE OF PAIN - 2016

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by IROC-Z, Jan 14, 2016.

1. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Liking the new look of the forums!

This past week hasn't been the greatest as far as workouts go. Tweeked my lower back last weekend snowmobiling, so my workouts since then have consisted of high rep bodyweight squats and a bunch of gripper closes. Hopefully will get back to something more productive this next week.

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Great to hear, thanks! :-)

3. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

4/4/16
    Squat
    GM
    2HP (timed holds)
    Plate Curls
    Wrist Roller

Went very light on everything. Lower back is feeling much better than I expected, but didn't want to take any chances.

BW = 230

My older son will be starting his first year of tackle football this summer and he's chomping at the bit. His goal is to be the starting tailback and I believe he has the talent to make that happen. The team he will be playing for recruited him pretty hard because of his speed and athleticism, now we just have to get him a little bit stronger. I'm not one of those crazy parents who's going to push their kid too hard, but when my son said he wanted to start working out, I told him that I would be happy to help him. I'm thinking I'll start him on a program that looks something like this:

Monday = BW Squats, Pushups, Dynamic Grip
    Thursday = BW Squats, Pushups, Static Grip
    Saturday = Sprints, Ab Wheel

If any of you think this workout template is too much for a kid who will be turning 12 this summer, please feel free to critique the plan and give me some input.

4. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

4/5/16
    Burpees x 30
    DB Curls
    Side Lateral Raises
    Sledge Levering (pronation/supination)
    Extensor Bands

Blood pressure pre-workout = 126/80
    Pulse pre-workout = 55

5. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Pic for Paul and Phil. Made baby back ribs for dinner last night. Used that same method we discussed a few weeks ago.

Attached Files:

macdiver, Seltzer and Merk like this.
  6. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

4/6/16
    Pistols
    Incline Press
    Grippers
    Bent Rows
    Skull Crushers

I'm pulling the plug on the May contest. I think I could probably be okay in all of the events, except for the Axle DL. That event is for maximum reps in 60 seconds. My biggest fear right now is that the contest adrenaline will kick in right before that event and I'll push it way too hard with my back not being at 100%. That'll lead to more pain and more missed workouts. New plan is to continue rehabbing and shoot for a contest this coming fall.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I can empathize having had to cancel a run in Baltimore due to health issues. Sometimes the troubling short term decision makes the long term better.

8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Not easy to decide to cancel a contest. Sucks being an adult and making the right decision. Just kniwvyou are making the right decision. There will be other contests

9. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

You guys are totally correct about not sacrificing the future by making poor short-term decisions. Unfortunately, it's taken me a long time to figure that one out. Even just a few years ago, my ego would have totally convinced me to go to that contest and I would have completely destroyed my back just because I'm the most competitive SOB on the planet. Thanks for your supportive words.

4/8/16
    Hip Belt Squat
    One Arm DL (w/2.5" handle)
    Sledge Levering
    Sledge Choke

DSCF0013.JPG

Another equipment pic. These are the revolving handles I use for the one arm DL's. The one on the left is a 2.5" diameter and the one on the right is 2". They get hooked to a loading pin with weight plates on it. I also have a pair of the 2" handles permanently attached to my pull up bar in a neutral hand position and that's what I use for all of my chin ups and pull ups.

Merk likes this.
  10. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

4/11/16
    Squat
    Block Weights - loaded to 24"
    Flask
    Wrist Curls
    Wrist Roller

4/12/16
    Bike
    Speed Bag
    DB Curls
    GM's w/bands
    Calf Raises

BW = 228

11. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

4/13/16
    BW Squats
    Bench Press
    Grippers
    Pullups
    Dips
    Triceps Pushdowns
    Band PA's

Bench Press actually felt pretty good today. Hit 245 for an easy set of 20 and had a few reps left in the tank. Not where I used to be, but it's the best I've felt on this movement in over a year. I'll take it!

4/14/16
    Jump Rope
    Speed Bag
    Powerball

12. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

4/15/16
    Squat
    Axle
    Hub
    GM's w/bands
    Sledge Levering
    Sledge Choke

Average workout at best. Not great, but not horrible either. Taking the weekend off from all forms of training. Lower back is feeling decent.

13. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal

That's fantastic! I'd be lucky to nail 5 at that weight, then again my best bench has been only 300 (which I've only benched 3 times in my entire life :o )

What is your best bench by the way? (Worst bro question ever :p)

14. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

My best in an official contest is a totally raw 445. I've hit that multiple times in the 220 class. In the gym, I put up 465 a handful of times, but that was touch and go........wouldn't have gotten white lights in a contest. Not the biggest raw numbers in the world, but keep in mind I've never been on the juice. The only supplements I've ever taken are protein powder and a multivitamin. Keep the bro questions coming, bro!:D

15. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal

445 competition is amazing, as well as your 465 a handful of times. Hell your best competition bench beats out my best competition squat (425)! I'm mirin' something fierce.

I need to step my game up on the bench.

16. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Thanks buddy, I appreciate the kind words.:)

17. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

4/19/16
    Hip Belt Squat
    Block Weights - farmer's walks
    2HP - timed holds
    Wrist Curls
    Wrist Roller

This should have been yesterday's workout, but something came up and I had to move it back a day. Felt strong as an ox on the 2HP. That's a good sign.

One more equipment picture. This is my wrist roller set up. When most people think of a wrist roller, they think of a piece of wooden dowel with a cord through it and a 5 - 10 lb. plate hanging from the cord. I've always thought that movement was a waste of time because you can't put much weight on the apparatus due to having to hold it out at arm's length......most of the stress is placed on the shoulders rather than the lower arms. This a mounted wrist roller and it allows for a lot more weight to be used. Definitely one of my favorite pieces of equipment.

DSCF0014.JPG

Merk likes this.
  18. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Dude, that is genius! :bow:

19. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Thanks, glad you like it. I can't take credit for the original idea though, this one was copied from somebody else.

Merk and John Stone like this.
  20. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

This past week was one of the busiest I've had in a long time. Luckily, I only missed one workout, but the rest of my workouts were abbreviated. Definitely will resume normal workouts and logging in the journal next week.

kglover and Merk like this.