1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

HOUSE OF PAIN - 2016

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by IROC-Z, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Stating the obvious, I'm rooting for you IROC-Z!

That's great about your son; he has lots of company with his love/hate relationship with squats. :lol: Seriously, by example you're laying the groundwork for him having a lifetime of healthy pursuits. :tucool:

2. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Thanks for the positive words, Paul!

My workouts the last few weeks involve a little bit of everything, but my focus is still mainly around bench pressing. After next week that will change and I can move forward and focus on other strength related goals. Training highlights over the past month have been a set of 19 fairly strict reps at 280 on the bench press, and sets of 5 lifts for each hand with a 150 lb. Inch replica DB. No lower back issues recently.

My son's training is going great. He hit puberty this past year, so the testosterone is really starting to flow. If he sticks with the plan we have laid out, he's going to be in great shape come track season this spring. His number one athletic goal is to beak the record at his school for shot and discus, so we'll see how that goes. When it comes to his training, I've been trying not to push him too much or too hard, I don't want to be one of "those" parents. So far he hasn't really needed any motivation from me, he wants to train and he wants to push it........now if I could only get him to take his school work this serious, he'd be right where he needs to be.:lol:

dejavued likes this.
  3. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Well, things did not go the way I had hoped at the end of February. I did not set a new contest PR in the bench press, but I did manage to match my all-time PR. I guess I'll take that, but it was a bit disappointing. Bodyweight has been staying in the 225-230 range without really paying much attention to diet. I mainly just try to avoid junk food, and keep my portions at a reasonable amount. In other words, instead of eating 3 plates of spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, I just have 1 big plate and leave it at that. Lower back has been giving me issues for several weeks now, so workouts have been light and high reps. No DL's at all, and very limited squats.......mainly just bodyweight squats and some pistols. Hopefully within the next week or two I should be able to get back to some normal workouts.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry to read about your ailments and while the outcome wasn't what you hoped for congrats on matching your BP PR.

5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Hope the back heals soon

6. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal
    Bronze Member

Sorry to hear about your back, seriously hope it gets better soon!

7. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

damn! bummer on the back. hope it heals quickly and you are back to killing it!

8. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Thanks to all for the well wishes on my lower back issues. Unfortunately, the month of April has been a total bust when it comes to fitness for me. My back is feeling better, but it's still not right. I've been hitting some lighter upper body workouts, but no squats at all for the past three weeks. Been using a product called Biofreeze and it does seem to give some relief. As long as I'm standing/walking my back feels great, but the minute I sit down, that's when it starts to hurt.

Our family was in Orlando for a vacation at Disneyworld the week of 4/9 and we had an awesome time. It was tough going back to work after that!

dejavued and Merk like this.
  9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry to read about your lingering back issues. Hopefully the situation is rectified shortly.

10. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Glad you enjoyed your vacation. Hope your back gets better soon.

11. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Thanks guys!

I just went back to the beginning of this journal (January 2016) and I realized that it has been 2.5 years of me mainly talking about lower back pain/issues in the bulk of my posts. I need to do something about this! I'm kind of feeling like it's time to change what I do in my workouts, and focus things more toward longevity and the concept of being pain free. I've also come to the conclusion that full range axle DL's are out of the question. I will not be doing them at all anymore.....not ever. I might still do axle DL's off some blocks, with only a partial range of motion, but that's it.........unless it's in a contest setting, then I will have to buck up and go full range. I really need to keep my lower back healthy!

dejavued likes this.
  12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I can totally empathize with your feelings about having to modify workouts although I never came close to moving the iron that you do. An adjustment for sure, but there's a lot to be said for not being injured.

I wish you well with the transition.

IROC-Z likes this.
  13. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Been hitting workouts almost daily, although not at max levels. Back feels about 98%, so that's pretty decent. I'm planning to try some partial axle DL's off blocks this coming week, so that will be a good test of where my back is actually at.

My son's workouts have been fantastic. I currently have him doing 50 rep sets of hip belt squats, lots of extended range pushups, pullups, and grip work. His grip is obnoxiously strong for a 13-year-old. They had some kind of fitness challenge at school for gym class, that involved pushups and pullups. He easily hit the top score for both of them in the boy's group. He was pretty pumped about it, and he want's to increase his workout frequency for the summer.

dejavued likes this.
  14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice to read that things are going well and headed in the right direction. That's great news about your son; you've really given him a positive and hopefully life long lesson by your guidance and by setting the example of working out.

Well done Sir!

IROC-Z likes this.
  15. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Thanks Paul! My son has really been bitten by the iron bug, which makes me very happy. I try not to push him into doing things that he doesn't want to do, so I find it very satisfying that he keeps coming to me and asking to workout.:bb:

dejavued likes this.
  16. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Workouts have been great. I got scared about trying the partial DL's, so that plan never happened. I'm liking this whole thing about living my life pain-free, so I'm going to take my sweet old time before I even consider getting into anything that could potentially wreck my back again. I did pick up a new piece of equipment that I'm hoping will help me in the quest to avoid injury.....I'll post pics once I start using it.

My son hit a set of 22 pullups this week. The best I ever hit was 20. He's building a great foundation for future strength related sports.

Merk likes this.
  17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    22 pushups is VERY impressive!

IROC-Z likes this.
  18. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

hell yah! very badass! :bow::bow:

IROC-Z likes this.
  19. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    That is awesome. :tucool:

I remember when we were 13 and doing the Presidential Physical Fitness Test in gym class. I think the qualifying score for pullups was like five or something for boys and we were all struggling to break that barrier. Then this kid Greg gets up there, hops to the bar, and starts pounding out perfect, smooth, straight arm pullups one after the other. When he hit 20 he turned and asked the gym teacher whether that was enough. Still one of the coolest feats of strength I've ever seen firsthand. :nod:

Merk and IROC-Z like this.
  20. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Thanks everybody, my son really appreciated the comments about his pullups!

Had another great week of workouts, but I'm still being extra cautious about anything that involves my lower back. Like I said earlier, I picked up a new piece of equipment for doing partial DL's. It's called a Napalm's Nightmare. It currently has 2 3/8" diameter rotating handles on it, but I also have a set of 2" handles that I can put on for a change of pace. This device gets hooked to a loading pin via a carabiner. I'm going to replace all my axle work with this, and I figure I'll use a 15" loading pin, so that should definitely help to save my back. This will be very similar to doing DL's off 15" blocks. I was going to put a picture of the setup on here, but for some reason, I can't seem to be able to figure out how to do that. Did something recently change with the way you have to upload images here?

Merk likes this.