1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Honestly feel that cinnamon boosts weight loss!

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by anteyes, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Destiny

Destiny Well-Known Member

Just a coincidence?

Ok, here are my weight loss stats:

Week 1: 5 lbs
    Week 2: 1.5 lbs
    Week 3: 1 lb
    Week 4: 1 lb
    Week 5: 3 lbs

I started drinking green tea over the past week (mostly plain, a few times with cinnamon). I didn't change my eating/exercise plan at all, yet I lost more weight this week than the past 3 weeks! Maybe there really are some weightloss benefits associated with drinking green tea. Regardless, I am going to continue drinking two cups a day because I have been reading about it and found that it has other health benefits as well. I don't drink coffee or any other caffeinated beverage, so it has reallly been a nice treat in the morning! :claphigh:

2. J-Man

J-Man Well-Known Member

Green Tea Cinnamon

I have heard, and have seen several topics on green tea. It is supposed to help weight loss. As for the cinnamon, i've never heard anything on that except here on the forum's, but I have been putting cinnamon in my oatmeal to add flavor, and it definately isnt hurting my progress. I think it would be interesting to see if the cinnamon does anything. BTW most of these weight loss pills use green tea extract.

3. chitownlifter

chitownlifter Well-Known Member

cinnamon has recently proven to lower your blood sugar, which would make sense in aiding you to lose weight because it prevents the insulin spikes.

4. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

This might help you guys:

Stick to brewing your own green tea, you can find tea leaves in any asian supermarket, green tea bags are semi okay, but not quite as effective, studies have shown they don't produce even half of the beneficial effects of brewing your own with fresh tea leaves.

Green tea is prepared by picking, lightly steaming and allowing the leaves to dry. Black tea, the most popular type of tea in the U.S., is made by allowing the leaves to ferment before drying. Due to differences in the fermentation process, a portion of the active compounds are destroyed in black tea, but remain active in green tea. The active constituents in green tea are a family of polyphenols (catechins) and flavonols which possess potent antioxidant activity. Tannins, large polyphenol molecules, form the bulk of the active compounds in green tea, with catechins comprising nearly 90%. Several catechins are present in significant quantities; epicatechin (EC), epigallocatechin (EGC), epicatechin gallate (ECG) and epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). EGCG makes up about 10-50% of the total catechin content and appears to be the most powerful of the catechins – with antioxidant activity about 25-100 times more potent than vitamins C and E. A cup of green tea may provide 10-40mg of polyphenols and has antioxidant activity greater than a serving of broccoli, spinach, carrots or strawberries. A number of commercial green tea extracts are standardized to total polyphenol content and/or EGCG content

Although numerous laboratory investigations have shown the powerful antioxidant activity of green tea and green tea extracts, prospective clinical studies in humans are few. From the laboratory findings, it is clear that green tea is an effective antioxidant, that is provides clear protection from experimentally induced DNA damage and that it can slow or halt the initiation and progression of cancerous tumor growth. There is also evidence from some studies that green tea provides significant immunoprotective qualities, particularly in the case of cancer patients undergoing radiation or chemotherapy. White blood cell count appears to be maintained more effectively in cancer patients consuming green tea compared to non-supplemented patientsSeveral epidemiological studies show an association between consumption of total flavonoids in the diet and the risk for cancer and heart disease. Men with the highest consumption of flavonoids (from fruits and vegetables) have approximately half the risk of heart disease and cancer compared with those with the lowest intake. The primary catechin in green tea, EGCG, appears to inhibit the growth of cancer cells as well as play a role in stimulating apoptosis (programmed cell death), both of which are crucial aspects for cancer prevention.In terms of heart disease protection, the potent antioxidant properties of polyphenols would be expected to reduce free radical damage to cells and prevent the oxidation of LDL cholesterol – both of which would be expected to inhibit the formation of atherosclerotic plaques.Aside from the clear benefits of green tea as an antioxidant, recent studies have suggested a role catechins in promoting weight loss. In one animal study, the anti-obesity effect of green tea was evaluated by feeding different levels of green tea (1-4% in their diets) to female mice for 4 months. The study found that the mice receiving the green tea in their diets had a significant suppression of food intake, body weight gain and fat tissue accumulation. In addition, levels of cholesterol and triglycerides were lower in mice receiving the green tea diet. Perhaps the most interesting finding from this study was that Leptin levels in serum showed a decrease with green tea treatments – indicating that green tea may have a direct effect on the regulation of body weight (downward).In some studies, green tea is associated with a mild increase in thermogenesis (increased caloric expenditure) – which is generally attributed to its caffeine content. At least one study has shown that green tea extract stimulates thermogenesis to an extent that is much greater than can be attributed to its caffeine content per se – meaning that the thermogenic properties of green tea may be due to an interaction between its high content of catechin-polyphenols along with caffeine. A probable theory for the thermogenic effect of green tea is an increase in levels of norepinephrine – because catechin-polyphenols are known to inhibit catechol-O-methyl-transferase (the enzyme that degrades norepinephrine). One study examined this theory, and the effect of green tea extract on 24-hour energy expenditure, in 10 healthy men – who each consumed 3 treatments of green tea extract (50mg caffeine and 90mg epigallocatechin gallate), caffeine (50 mg), and placebo (at breakfast, lunch, and dinner). The results of the study showed that, relative to placebo, the green tea extract resulted in a significant (4%) increase in 24-hour energy expenditure (approximately 80 calories per day) and a significant increase in the body’s use of fat as an energy source (24-h Respiratory Quotient). In addition, the 24-hour urinary norepinephrine excretion was 40% higher during treatment with the green tea extract than with the placebo. It is interesting to note that treatment with caffeine in amounts equivalent to those found in the green tea extract (50mg) had no effect on energy expenditure of fat oxidation – suggesting that the thermogenic properties of green tea it due to compounds other than its caffeine content alone.

5. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Mix

Ok, I tried mixing cinnamon into the green tea that I drink every day already. It tasted good, but all the cinnamon chunked up at the bottom of the cup even though I mixed it and mixed it. Is there some special way that you are adding the cinnamon and other ingredients to your tea to prevent this?

6. acappy

acappy Well-Known Member

Regular Green Tea?

Any opinions on flavored green tea? I recently bought a variety box of different green tea flavors, such as: Premium Green Tea, Morrocan Mint Green Tea, Lemon Spice Green Tea, Chai Green Tea, etc. Do you think these would have less of the beneficial properties of just plain old "green tea" ?

Thanks

7. Rubberband

Rubberband Well-Known Member

Which soda? ;)

A good Green tea (e.g not the cheap gimmicky brands) has the lowest caffine levels compared to other teas and coffees and compared to coke etc it's nice and low.

Another things to bear in mind is that, from my rusty memory, that drinking 6 cups a day is equivilent to 2 daily servings of vegetables. On a similar note, 70%+ cocoa solids in a bar of chocolate is actually very good for you ;)

8. samerarashid

samerarashid Well-Known Member

Hello, there

I am amazed for what you have said because i am using honey and cinnamon boiled in some water, i have tried it for a week but i haven't lost no weight.

Please can you tell me what foods to avoid when you tried the honey cinnamon, lemon.

thanks
    Sam.

9. imsuxok?

imsuxok? Well-Known Member

I noticed that a couple of people seem to be having trouble with their cinnamon powder. Most commercial cinnamon powder has a filler of some sort in it to reduce cost. This filler is proabably what's causing your cinnamon powder to clump up.

So, you might want to try using cinnamon sticks. Break off a piece of a stick and pop it in your teapot while the tea is brewing. It should infuse the flavour of the cinnamon into the tea after a few minutes.

10. Paradigm

Paradigm Well-Known Member

I've tried green tea on it's own and it was just disgusting. Do those other ingredients greatly increase it's flavour?

11. sheldonlanghorne

sheldonlanghorne Well-Known Member

I'm confused...
    people in this thread seem to be saying that green tea helps you lose weight, but it seems like it's the caffeine that's doing it.

Since green tea isn't the only drink with caffeine in it, can we assume that coffee, other kinds of tea, diet sodas, etc help just as much?

What is it about green tea, by itself, that's better than other forms of caffeine?

It's funny to read posts from people who don't drink any caffeinated beverages, then switch to green tea and say it's green tea, not the caffeine....

or am I missing something?

12. Bookcat

Bookcat Well-Known Member

John Stone drinks coffee..

Nuff said.

No really, I've drank green tea, and it's pretty good....Hey, the motto of this site is "whatever works best for you"...so if your seeing gains with cinnamon....then go for it.....!!! and congrats. :claplow:

13. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

Reality Check!

Okay, let's get a reality check in place here.

The person who started this thread was losing 3 pounds per week, and suddenly lost 5.5 pounds.

If we assume this was all fat and not water weight, that means an additional 2.5 x 3500 = 8,750 calories were burned.

All this from green tea (caffeine) and/or cinnamon?

Nope. Sorry. Not gonna happen.

I think it's great to share your experiences and your progress. I like putting cinnamon in shakes, and I love green tea. Green tea is a powerful anti-oxidant, and the health benefits are superb. I should probably replace more of my daily coffee intake with green tea, definitely. Cinnamon also has some health benefits associated with it - Dave Draper recommends putting that in shakes.

But let's get back on the floor, back to reality. There is no way that any cinnamon, green tea, or caffeine will cause anyone to burn an extra 1,000 calories per day. The most potent thermogenics known and studied increase metabolism maybe 50 - 150 calories per day, although some isolated studies have reported results as high as 500 calories (see below re: green tea).

Keep in mind that many scales are not dead-on accurate. If you are on a spring scale, it can fluctuate a bit. A digital scale should be more consistent, depending on the variety. You can gain 5 - 7 pounds and lose it just as easily from simply changing the amount of carbohydrate in your diet or your ratios of sodium to potassium. Even stress can cause your weight to fluctuate - perhaps you have had a more calm week? I had many clients who failed to lose fat simply because they had too much stress in their lives.

Green Tea does seem to positively impact fat loss (or rather, inhibit storage of fat) in rats:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=14629899

Here is a study in humans:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=14974736

That led to an extra 460g of fat loss over two weeks (an extra 295 calories per day). This was combined with capsaicin and essence of chicken, however (don't ask me what essence of chicken is - I'm just checking out the study). Keep in mind that the green tea was as green tea extract, to the tune of 625mg per day, which is the equivalent of 3 - 7 cups of green tea.

This study also supports green tea having fat-burning effects that can't be explained by the caffeine alone:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10584049

As for cinnamon, it appears to be an anti-oxidant to rats:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10641152

It seems to help with insulin resistance and diabetes:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15002064

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=14633804

But nothing on fat burning.

In a nutshell, it seems like green tea + cinnamon is a great drink to add to your daily intake, but I would not expect to lose an extra 2 pounds of fat every week because of it!

Jeremy

14. born sleepy

born sleepy Well-Known Member

If you like green tea and cinnamon, drink up, but thinking that it's having more than a very small effect on fat loss is probably not a good idea. taken to an extreme that's like "hey, I lost 10lbs last week by eating pine cones, barnacles, and ham hocks fried in Castrol Syntec!"

I'm not trying to be a forum cop here but let's use a little common sense about posting such things.

b mmmm, barnacles... s.

15. HunkOLove

HunkOLove Well-Known Member

Green Tea

Is that green tea they serve at the chinese or japanese place with dinner?

16. Pico

Pico Well-Known Member

sometimes, next time ask :D

17. taffer

taffer Well-Known Member

i only drink 1 cup of green tea a day now, in teabag form, after reading this thread im going to get some proper green tea leaves and try to drink more than 1 cup a day (cant drink it at night or you will be going to the toilet alot!!)

18. samerarashid

Hello, i wanted to know how many cups a day you drink, and would it work without green tea? I have tried honey and cinnamon for a week i have lost no weight.

19. samerarashid

20. tan_pao_wei

tan_pao_wei Well-Known Member

For jap places, yar they drink green tea.

As for chinese places, they drink chinese tea. There are many types of chinese tea, like jasmine tea, green tea, oolong tea, but basically chinese call it chinese tea.