1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

home bulking routine

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by luka5, Dec 28, 2011.

1. luka5

luka5 Member

3 days a week, go heavy, 1-2 min rest between sets (3 min on dl, bench, squat). good form on each exercise, no cheating. incorporate some cardio 3x a week

pull Monday

deadlift 5x5 (1st and 2nd set are warmup)
    pullups (weighted) 4x6-8
    bentover db rows (go heavy) 4x6-8
    incline db curls (4 sec eccentric) 3x8-10
    supersetted with hammer curls (4 sec eccentric) 3x8-10
    shrugs (heavy) 4x6-8

push Wed

bench 5x5 (1st and 2nd set are warmup)
    dips (weighted) 4x6-8
    supersetted with incline flyes 4x10
    military press 4x6-8
    laterals 3x8-10
    incline tricep extension 3x8-10

legs Fri

front squat 5x5 ((1st and 2nd set are warmup)
    RDL 4x6-8
    walking lunges 4x6-8
    single leg calf raises 4x10-12
    hanging leg raise 3x10-12
    weighted crunches 3x12

what do you think about this routine?

thanks for any feedback!

2. luka5

luka5 Member

ok and i wonder if i can replace deadlift with sumo deadlift (ive got short arms and conventional deadlift is really pain in ass). and also on friday rdl with leg curls (4x6-8)?

3. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

What is the length of your routine and bulk? How much weight do you want to gain and what are your current stats? Are you going to be in a caloric surplus? Any routine will do the trick (within reason) as long as your recovery is stellar and your macronutrient intake is sufficient enough.

Without knowing anything, I would eliminate the cardio and iso exercises, and once you are able to hit the higher reps specified, increase weight by 5-7% for next session. So, from what you have posted, I would make the following changes and make sure you bring it each time you train.

MONDAY:
    Deadlift 5x5
    Pull ups 2x8-10
    BB row 2x8-10

WEDNESDAY
    Bench Press 5x5
    Military Press 2x8-10
    Dips 2x8-10

FRIDAY
    FSquat 5x5
    Leg Press 2x8-10
    Leg Curl 2x8-10
    (I recommend using a DB between your feet while face down on an incline board)

On a bulk, I also favor cycling weeks where you stagger calories ensuring that most of your gains are via lean muscle rather than fat. An example would be staggering carbs and calories with 2-3 weeks 500 calories above baseline, followed by 1 week at 300-500 calories below baseline, followed by 1-2 weeks at maintenance calories with a higher fat intake. The other nutritional strategy is to eat only when hungry using a select pro/carb/fat intake at each meal dependent on your personal stats. Foods on this type protocol would be limited to specific choices.

Good luck and welcome to JSF. :)