1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

"Hold on Bob, Gotta Do A Set!"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by 1FastGTX, Jan 19, 2005.

1. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So yesterday I'm in the gym, and I am usually in my own little world but I couldn't help but notice something that made me laugh.

The whole time I'm squatting, there's a guy sitting down against the wall talking on his cell phone. I noticed him but it was no big deal.

Then about 5 minutes later I'm doing Leg Presses and I look over my shoulder and see the same guy on the hyperextension machine, doing his set, WHILE HE IS TALKING ON THE PHONE!!! I'm serious, I can hear him talking to his friend (of course he has to speak loudly because of the radio in the gym), he's going through the reps and having a full on conversation!

Anyway, that is all. I just thought it was funny. :)

2. jtelling

jtelling Well-Known Member

might be bad form in the gym, but I'm thinking, whatever you need to get yourself through your sets...

maybe it was his trainer yelling at him through his phone :)

3. TheLemonSong

TheLemonSong Well-Known Member

I see people do this on the treadmills all the time while walking, and I also see people online on laptops with wireless internet connects on the stairmaster on occasion, now THAT woudl be awesome. If I could workout and be online at the same time I think I could conquer the world :)!

4. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

ON THE STAIRMASTER!!!? Holy cow. I know I must be evil but the first thing I thought of when reading your post was "holy crap how funny would it be to see one of those guys bust his ass, fall down and his laptop hit him in the head?" I'm bad!!! hehehehe

Seriously though it would be pretty awesome to be sitting on the treadmill and being online at the same time. On JSF posting about my current heart rate!!! lol

Maybe I can just buy a bike and sit it in here in my home office....

5. rubberbandman

rubberbandman Well-Known Member

I treasure all time away from the internet and computer or technology in general. Here I am typing on my computer online and complaining about it at the same time....It's a terrible addiction and I NEVER plan to buy anything that would help me be online everywhere! Being online while exercising! Sha! right!

6. jtelling

jtelling Well-Known Member

when I'm on my treadmill, I have a hard enough time trying to walk in a straight line. adding something else to concentrate on would just make my chances of falling down greater :)

7. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

If I ever own a gym, I will have two rules at least:

1) If you can't lift the weight right, don't lift it at all.
    (When I worked out at Kaz's Gym (Bill Kazmyer) in Auburn, I saw him personally tell people on more than one occasion to get out of his gym when they were doing something so fundamentally wrong that it was funny)

2) All cell phones used in this gym will be personally destroyed by placing them under my weight while I do deadlifts.

Using a cell phone in a gym is as distracting as people screaming trying to do a rep. Just not the right place to do it.

8. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

What kind of a self-important (censored) is so busy that he/she can't leave their cell in the locker? Does that ever speak volumes... I put my MP3 player on my head and for that 45 minutes or so, the rest of the world is officially invited to go to hell.

-R

9. GM Enthusiast

GM Enthusiast Well-Known Member

Maybe its just California culture, but I am not in the least surprised, since at the gym I go to this kind of thing is so common that I see it pretty much every time I am at the gym.

10. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I LOVE IT!!!!!!

11. Andrew M

Andrew M Well-Known Member

As for having a mobile with you to the gym, there can be extenuating circumstances. I don't do it often, but occasionally I will go to the gym whilst I'm on call for work. Since I need to be contactable at all times, and may have to get to work immediately, there's no option but to take the phone into the gym. I haven't been rung whilst in the gym yet; but if I was, then the call would be taken out of the gym, where there's not an audience to hear what might be personal information, where I can actually hear what's being said, and where I won't display what I do for a living to all and sundry. Also, it's rude to disrupt others' concentration.
    As for the tube talking during sets. Dear oh dear.

Andrew.

12. rubberbandman

rubberbandman Well-Known Member

Andrew, but if you were rung....I doubt you would continue talking whilst finishing your sets right? THAT is the difference. cell phones are not intrinsically evil. just the way people use them.

Cell phones will definitely be the next cigarettes in terms of being banned in certain places.

13. SLUDGE

SLUDGE Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to concentrating on the muscle that you're working out. If you THINK about it, you're more likely to physically focus on it, and your stabilizers will use it to maximum potential. I never let my mind wander, much less my mouth.

I hardly have breath to speak after doing a set of squats, nevermind during. :)

14. TheLemonSong

TheLemonSong Well-Known Member

I got a great laugh outa this! Great post!! :tu:

15. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

How the hell can you workout and talk on the phone ? Some people suprise me. Go to a gym and talk on the phone while working out, shows they aren't working hard enough.

I've never really seen it, but I do see crowds of people (my age aswell) standing around talking, doing 98707987908 bench presses.