1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

HIT Circuits for women

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by ron burgandy, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ron burgandy

ron burgandy Active Member

Hi,

i'm trying to put together a HIT bodyweight circuit programme for a female client whats both very effective and also enjoyable.

as most of my clients seem to be blokes wanting to build muscle i wanted to get a womans opinion of what excercises / circuit training they enjoy best and what has worked well in your never ending quest with fat loss.

please post your favourite excercises / routines and thank you in advance for your input it is greatly appreciated.

2. spatzcat_11

spatzcat_11 Active Member

lunges, squats, reverse pull ups, rear foot elevated single leg squats, reverse lunges from a step, push ups, single leg squats, prone jackknife, sit ups on a ball, pull downs...

things i hate and think are useless: curls, tricep kickbacks.

Emphasize heavy weights. too many women choose the pink barbie 2 lb weight. don't let her do that. it's okay to be a tough guy.

3. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

I'll agree with that for sure, but with a caveat. My wife and I started going to the gym together this past July, and it took probably 6 months before I was able to get her to try out a weight routine. She was really shy about it and wasn't fond of the soreness that followed.

The lesson I learned is that when I made it more fun and less work, I saw her adapt more and start to enjoy it. After that, she picks her own routine and goes to the gym at times that I don't.

I guess what I am saying is that the heavy weights are the way to go, but not everybody wants to start with them. Some people are better approached with the "pink 2 pounders" and moved into the heavy weights once their comfort level is higher.

I know I'm not a woman, but that is what I have seen with my own eyes. ;)

4. ron burgandy

Yes i know picking up a dumbell weighing the same as a pen is useless and doesn't recruit the muscle types that you are wanting to i suppose it comes down to fighting the never ending battle which is " but if i lift a heavy weight i'll get massive" :lol: so many people who walk through the door think by lifting a heavy barbell means they are instantly going to look like arnold shwarznegger

thanks for the input on excercises though looks alot like what i had in mind with a few alterations.

5. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Last week I had to buy some heavier dumbbells. Since I didn't feel like going all over the place to find what I needed, I kept my purchase local. We have a Dick's Sporting Goods Store, so that is where I went.

I bought a set of 25 pound dumbbells and a pair of lifting gloves. While nobody else seemed to have a problem with what I was buying, the cashier who was female gave me the "WTF!" look more than once.

The first time is when she watched me pick the DB's up from their home in the cart and put them on the counter. The second time was when she tried to give the said DB's a half hearted shove and they didn't move. The third time was when I picked them up and put them back in the cart.

I have a few theories as to why I was getting that look.

A) My husband was with me and she figured they were for him.
    B) She thought the DB's for him and thought he was being a ass because I picked them up and put them on the counter.
    C) A combo of both
    D) She figured out that they were for me somehow and has issues with women that lift heavy.

Whatever her problem was, her attitude bugged me for a few days. Hubby saw the same looks I did and decided he wanted to talk about it which didn't help.

The point of this story is, learn to pick your battles. If a woman has issues with lifting heavy, so be it. Trying to force the issue doesn't help. If anything it just causes the person to dig their heels in further. Besides, it isn't just women that have this type of attitude.

My husband that defended my purchase the other day used to tell me that I'd end up looking like a gorilla if I continued to lift heavy. Today if he says such things he will be smacked in the head with whatever dumbbell is closest to me at the time. And since they are arranged to go from heaviest to lightest, a swinging 25 pounds will leave a mark on whatever body part it comes in contact with...

#5 Zilla, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  6. ron burgandy

:lol: funny story.

no offence intended with my last post i was also including men in that description hence the reason why i went with people implying it was unisex.

7. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

No offense taken. :)

I just making the point that, that attitude is everywhere. Let them have their 5 pound pink dumbbells. :lol:

8. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

It cracks me up that people who aren't looking to bulk won't lift heavy. Ah if only it was that easy to add muscle. Just go heavy and sign up for the 2012 Mr. Olympia. People who are lifting should really get at least a little informed, you know?

9. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

One of the girls at a local shop used to do something similar to me. I had bought 4 5K plates and she starts telling me I can drive up to the back door to load them into the car. I ask why and she goes it's too far to carry all that weight out the front door :lol: So I picked up all four plates and walked out. She's better now but even the guys get some wierd treatment at times. I guess not too many people buy anything but the 1kg dumbbells.

10. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

:lol:

Could I sign up for that program, please. Now. :D

11. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I guess.

Had I known that I was going to be looked at like I was a leper at the register, I would have carried them through the store just for shits and giggles.

Something to look forward to when I'm ready for 30 pounders. :lol:

12. spatzcat_11

spatzcat_11 Active Member

I used to think the same thing. Even after my husband telling me weights were better, I still didn't listen...until I read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583332944

It completely changed my outlook on the whole thing. I have a great appreciation for weights and weightlifting now.

All of the exercises that I gave you came from routines in this book.

It's a kick-ass starting approach when you have no idea what you are doing, and you've developed all these assumptions about heavy weights that have no basis. :)

13. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

A woman can get stronger without necessarily getting bigger,

So can men.

For anybody undertaking ANY kind of program , be it man or woman, I say this:_

Start at the beginning. If a 5lb. dumbell is what it takes to set the wheels in motion then start with a 5lb dumbell be it Pink, Orange, Black or a beautiful shade of Cerise.

HIT is basically a male bodybuilding program aimed at stimulating muscle fibers to produce bigger muscles due to the particular set of reps involved at the prescribed weight sequence (you hit momentary failure on the last rep, which is usually about the 12th for one set.).

Since women basically do not have the Testo levels to support this kind of muscle growth akin to a male, the results won't be the same as a male.

This does not mean the woman will not get stronger.

When a muscle is stimulated by increased-resistance training it tends to get stronger. But not necessarily bigger, as in hypertrophy training.

A woman can definitely get stronger without adding mass....:)

14. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

15. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I found this interesting...

I don't buy into the theory that every woman has to feel like puking before she is satisfied with a workout, but it is true about rest periods. I can wrap my brain around the reasons why long rests be necessary, but I always feel like I'm losing 2 minute increments of my life while waiting and twiddling my thumbs.

If my heart rate spikes, I walk around the room until it comes back down, get a swig of water or whatever may be on tap during that specific workout, then get back to it.