1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Hints in the gym and smiling

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by mikeysela, Jun 4, 2009.

1. mikeysela

mikeysela Active Member

Ok a few things on my mind..
    a. DO you believe in smiling towards a cute girl walking by or is that creepy? im thinking of doing it just for the hell of it, but is there really any point to it? im never gonna see her again so i dunno
    b. If a girl is running/biking next to you of all the possible available machines ...do you think thats a hint..like she could have gone to other available machines..but she had to choose the bike right next to mine..is that a hint of sorts that lets me appraoch them you think?

2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

A. I have no idea because I never really smile at anyone. Maybe that is why all of my co-workers tell me that I am an unfriendly bastard. :lol:

B. Getting on the bike next to you is not a hint by itself. I have a particular squat rack that I like. I hate the other ones for various reasons....so I always choose that squat rack no matter who is around. Maybe the girl likes that particular bike.

3. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Why not?

No.

4. witeowl

witeowl Active Member

Smile? Sure.
    Leer? No.

Is it the same smile you might give the cute girl at work? Or is it the smile some guys use when approaching a potential "lay" at a bar? Intent is everything.

Regarding your other question: Personally I've always been a bit creeped out in general about people being hit on at the gym. But that might just be me... However, I don't believe that I'm the first or only woman to be bothered by it. Just for the record.

5. Ectomorphic

Ectomorphic Active Member

I get smiled at every now and again by females. It doesn't mean anything and I figure it's either just a friendly thing or a "smile and make deliberate eye contact with people that are clearly looking at you, in case they are a murderer, mugger, or rapist so that it will give them a second thought and make them forget it because you've seen their face and will remember it" sort of thing girls have been trained to do in the last 15 years or so.

Yeah. I get told to smile all the time. At my current job, during my two week assessment, I even got told to smile and talk to my co-workers more because I seemed "off putting" and "hard to approach" or some stupid bullshit. People think I'm walking around pissed off all the time because I don't have a big fucking goofy grin on my face. The way I look is my default, neutral look. My facial muscles are doing nothing extra - neither frowning nor smiling. The way I look is the way I look. Some people don't walk around with big fucking smiles on their face all the time. Fucking deal with it. I swear to god if people keep telling me to smile and keep trying to get laughs out of me, I'm going to punch the next mother fucker in the mouth that says it. I've been getting that since I was little and it's getting annoying. So, I feel you on that.

6. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Wow....I feel like I could have written exactly what you wrote above. I get the EXACT same thing. Even when I am in a neutral mood, people interpret my neutral facial expression as reflecting a negative affect. The reactions I get are similar to yours -- I get lectured about being unfriendly and aloof, etc., when I don't feel that way at all.

7. needachange

needachange Active Member

Tell us how you really feel :lol:

Nah just messin...But I know the feeling. My dad, mom and I are the same way. We don't walk around with grins on our faces so people always think we are either pissed off or unapproachable. I'm a nice guy and get a lot of flack for not smiling and seeming unapproachable. I know there are several people at my work that have thought of me to be a jerk upon first impression but once they talked to me discovered I really was a nice friendly person. I'm just not the type to walk around faking a smile. My face is nuetral most of the time, some people have natural features that appear bright and happy looking. I'm not one of them :lol: (even though I'm a happy individual inside)

#7 needachange, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  8. stinkypillow

stinkypillow Well-Known Member

lol...i generally smile at most ppl i meet...but lots of ppl assume that i'm either upset or unwell when i "put" on my neutral face.

9. Jules

Jules Active Member

A) Yes, please! Make eyecontact, smile, nod and or say something non-commital like "heya", "you're sure working hard". Quite a lot of guys at the gym refuse to even look at me except secretly in a mirror when I'm working out. I loathe those guys. Everyone who nods, smile or says hi is a potential gym buddy in my book.
    B) Probaly just means she likes that bike best. I certainly have a favorite bike.

10. mikeysela

mikeysela Active Member

11. mikeysela

mikeysela Active Member

you actually think its fitting to go around saying hello to girls in the gym? when I walk by them i try not too look at them because I dont want them thinking im checking them out, so I try to respect their desire to not get checked out by every guy in the gym...thus I avoid eye contact with as many girls as possible lol..but I think it would be nice to be able to say hello to girls passing by..but I worry theyll perceive that as creepy and give me a creepy guy look

12. Porter_

Porter_ Active Member

i think people over analyze this. making eye contact is not creepy. girls make eye contact with me in the gym all the time. i smile and say hi every now and then. every time the girl has smiled back and said something like "how's it going?". just casual interaction, not hitting on each other.

one time i was between sets and a girl sitting next to me said "you're the perfect size. your body is perfect". i've never been given a compliment like that (my body is far from perfect). i thought it was a bit forward, but i was flattered nonetheless. i have a girlfriend so i just replied "thanks, you're in great shape too." and went back to lifting. a couple minutes later i heard the same girl laughing with some other random dude and saying "you're in such great shape." now THAT girl was there looking for attention.

13. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

How do you know you'll never see her again? If you do know that you'll never see her again, what is the purpose of the smile? I thought it was an attempt to try and get to know her, no?

That being said, if you're single, don't be afraid to mingle.:tu:

14. Ectomorphic

Ectomorphic Active Member

Like minded people! :spaz: Or like faced people, rather. :lol:

There we go, that's the phrasing I was looking for. Some faces in a neutral state look neutral, some look happy, some don't. For those of us in the latter group, people are just going to have to fucking live with it.

Unless they want to pay for some facial reconstruction surgery. ;)

15. Jules

Jules Active Member

Let me explain a bit better.

A guy comes into my gym, and all the other guys say hi to them and shake his hand. Even my boyfriend, who's just started going to the gym, gets advice on his squats.

I, who has been going to the same gym for 1,5 years now, get ignored by half of the gym folk. They just pretend I'm not there. To me, that's creepy. It's like I'm a ghost. It makes me feel like the gym guys hate me being there, that they think a girl doesn't belong in the free weights room. That they avoid me cause they want me to leave. Typical girl insecurity, eh? :)

A few of the ignorers started talking to me recently - and I found out that they didn't hate me, they just didn't know what to say and didn't want me to be creeped out.

Of course I don't like it when people start talking to me for five minutes, or try to pick me up. But I do like it when people give a friendly nod or just say "heya" and then continue with their workout.
    If I need a spot, or feel like chatting with someone, those are the
    people I'll go talk to.

Basically, treat the women in your gym like you would treat any other person in the gym. If you can do that, no one can be offended. If you can't, then yes, avoid all contact :)

16. George

George Senior Member

I've lifted at four different gyms and have never had anyone do this sort of thing to me. :confused: :lol: