1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Hiking boots?

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by Robert2006, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Any suggestions? From pavement to rocky slopes. I haven't seen level ground outside of the movies lately :lol: so even the pavement isn't exactly walking on the sidewalk. Don't need to be fully water proof but need to handle rain/damp. Figure 10+ km for a morning walk.

I have a pair of no name boots that would be okay but they refuse to break in. Did a number on my feet Sunday. Okay I should have worn thicker socks and gone for a shorter walk but I'm not sure these boots will ever really break in.

2. astroguy

astroguy Active Member

You seem to know what I was going to suggest - make sure they're comfortable and you wear thick socks.

I was at a field camp and hiked around Meteor Crater in Arizona for over a week. The boots I had were actual boots and I found them uncomfortable. Everyone else had sneaker-like boots that were much more comfortable. And after three days I was on to thin socks from my thick ones and it got downright painful.

3. zero to hero

zero to hero Active Member

My recommendations are The North Face Verbera Lightpacker GTX Boots and 1000 Mile heavyweight walking socks. Does perfectly for me :)

4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I believe you are in Australia so I don't know the brands available. I have been happy with my Vasque boots and day hikers. I have had the boots for close to twenty years but they only have a few hundred miles on them between day hikes and backpacking trips. The day hikers are better suited for just that, hikes without a full pack and are what I use most for trails.

5. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

No I'm in Italy.

I guess most European brands are available either in shops or the net.

US brands tend to be expensive and not worth it.

6. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

Why do you want boots?

I spent a week in the Bear Tooth mountains of Montana. Group of 11 of us, and not a pair of boots. I was using Innov-8 Talon 212's and some Smartwool socks. We were mostly bushwacking and covered a ton of miles of talus.
    Waterproof boots are a misnomer. If the area is wet, then your feet are going to get wet. Using trail shoes mean that you are definitely going to get wet, but they are also meant to dry quick too.

My trip was for ultralight backpackers. My pack weight was around 12 pounds minus food and water. Probably 18 was the max that I was carrying for a 5 day outting. Most ultralight people stay away from boots and use trail shoes for a multitude of reasons:
    1) camps shoes are your trekking shoes. Saves weight
    2) Less prone to blisters and problems
    3) You can feel the trail
    4) Less weight on your feet is less effort. So, more miles can be attained.

7. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I've never been bothers by the weight of boots. Why boots? I want the ankle support. I want the added bit of cold weather warmth.

If I ever get the camera bag out of the closet -( my back is closer to 25lbs.

8. vanderlinden

vanderlinden Member

There are two schools of thought with boots. Serious heavy boots like Vasques or Danners or very lightweight sneakers with sticky soles like Dunlop Volley or the Innov8s mentioned. I used to swear by Vasques but then I went hiking in Africa and the locals just wore Keds or flip flops on the same mountain trails I was wearing my $200 gore-tex leather Vasques. Lately I've been doing the sneaker thing, I think it actually works better if you know you are going to be on a lot of bare rock, because of the grip. However, I think clunky boots are better for regular trails, cold conditions, and wet conditions. The main downside to the sneaker method is they wear out quick and you have to just throw them out and get new ones. Solid boots you can keep forever.

If I bought a new pair of mountaineering/hiking boots now I'd get Danners. Vasques aren't as good anymore.

9. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

If you want boots, get boots.

That being said, part of the thought process behind ultralight gear is that the less you carry, the less extant need for ankle support. For cold weather warmth, I would go with a wool sock (merino) or dry socks. I do wear boots in the snow, but that's about it.

Another consideration is that a good pair of trail runners is still much cheaper than a good pair of boots. So, if you try trail runners and don't like them, you're out a lot less money and have a decent pair of shoes to putter around the yard in.

My preference is Vasque. I'm not sure they make my favorite model - Grand Vitesse - anymore, but I put over 1500 backpacking miles on one pair and then used them as lawn mowing/errand running shoes for a few more years. Amazingly durable.

10. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I put 20km into my old boots this weekend. Doubled my socks up. No blisters. No blood. Not even sore feet. Kind of warm but fine for this time of year.

I think for the moment I'm okay while I watch for sales on some summer type boots.